Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Old school strains - Where are you??? Acapulco Gold, Pananma Red, Columbian...

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by FreeMJ, Sep 28, 2009.

1. There is still great weed around today. Sounds like you just cant find any

2. From my experience, our bud is most certainly more potent. Sure, they had good bud back then, but it wasn't grown like today. For example, my mom was friends with all the potheads in the 70s and 80s. They smoked maad weed. Yet, she didn't know what the crystals on my weed was, she thought it was laced! She wondered why it was in nug form, not broken up. At first I thought she was just uneducated in weed, but she went to heroin high and all this shit, so I believe she was a pothead when she tells me this. She also said they never made blunts, they never used grinders, they did a lot different. Times change, that's all. It's just grown better.

3. in some ways yes, in some ways no. the potency has certainly upgraded but the quality of the high has become more ungenine due to the cross breeding craze and so has the taste. overall id say the old school bud is better despite select strains today

4. It wasn't till the 80s when hybrid plants became popular. Hybrids gave growers a variety of different kinds of strains. Some were better, some aren't.

5. good crosses: trainwreck, strawberry cough, afghan goo, white widow, purple kush, ak 47, blueberry, shiskaberry, purple diesel all of my favorites

bad crosses: mango, purp way too many to list

6. oh and i cant forget purple urkle and lavender diesel

7. dude i think the hippies right. right now im tripping on modern oaxacan gold, and i saw a picture of the old fashioned oaxacan and theres a BIG difference. if im tripping now, i want to know how it felt with that old fashioned shit.

8. that old fashioned shit will give you a much more profound high and taste in my opinion

9. Please Toker People, doesn't anybody look at seed company sites. Barney's has Acapulco Gold seeds in FEM. Reeferman has Colombian Gold and Red, Greenhouse has Original Landraces, and Jordan of the Islands has impressive strains and crosses of the best bud available. So Bro's and Sis's look at Hemp Depot for many of the weeds you seek. Peace and Happy Tokes to all!:eek::wave:

10. My dads got some old seeds and he says some are 20 or 30 years old so I might have to get some off him see if they grow, he doesnt know the strains or anything, its just a big bag of seeds, he says its all the seeds from the best bags hed had going back years so there could be some real good stuff in there.

11. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wG7fnFVIhOk]Lil Cuete-Talks New & Old School, Favorite Strains Of Marijuana & New Projects (NEW 2012 INTERVIEW) - YouTube[/ame]

12. Not a possibility... reality.

I used to save samples of every seed I got my hands on throughout the 70s and 80s, and I had lots of them. I was a real seed hound... kept them, catalogued them, and tried to keep them safe.

For example, aside from typical Mexican varieties (some good, some just okay) I had seeds from the old 70s Santa Marta red/gold Colombian and chocolate brown Colombians, various Humboldt Indicas (the early ones from the 70s!). And I had lots of each strain. I had a number of seeds from the 'original' early 70s Thai Sticks - the real thing. I even found some tiny seeds in some hand-rubbed Indian hash of the era.

Much of the above went 'missing' along with a few other cartons of household good when a 'freight company' lost them during a move from one city to another. I can't tell you how disappointed I was to discover that!

The only ones that now exist are an F1 cross of the original Thai Stick with Humboldt Indica, and an F2 of the pure Humboldt strains (both from the 80s).

BUT, there are others out there like me who will still have a treasure trove of historical and landrace strains.

Perhaps we need some kind of Heriloom Exchange to encourage those with links to the past to donate samples for growers today.

13. As you mentioned, most if not all of the above offerings are modern crosses with old names. I have yet to find seed sellers that offer the original, pure, landrace strains from N. and S. America that we had in the 70s.

One supplier I happened upon, The Real Seed Company, looks promising. They specialize in landrace strains from hash producing regions of Asia and the Middle East... Morocco, Lebanon, Afghanistan, India, etc.. The company's website says they come directly from the source. Perhaps worth a try.

14. Sme of these strains still exist today, the ones I know that went extinct are purple haze. Buddle gum. And jalapeño kush. But I recently smoked some Acapulco gold and was definintely higher then when I smoke on some no name dank

15. All the old strains are still in existence, then thing is there's just a lot more Indica strains floating around, than Sativa. I think it's mainly because people who grow for profit find them.. well more profitable.

Indicas only need between 30-50% the room that Sativas need to grow. The Indica strains also produce bud in a much higher quantity. Also a lot of people prefer them for their ability to virtually eliminate all their physical pain.

16. #498 tstick, Jun 17, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2012
    Sativas are more the artist's kind of thing -inspired thinking, motivation, etc. In the medical marijuana world (the serious aspect of it), pain-relief is where it's at. So, Indicas are probably better for facilitating rest and rehabilitation.

But, the bottom line is that most people who grow are taking a big risk and they have made a big investment in terms of time and equipment...and so the brunt of their business is to produce medicinal-quality buds that grow quickly, look good and smell fruity -again, Indicas.

Sativas can grow great big and take up a lot of room and then produce buds that end up looking kind of "craggy" and rough. From a single re-seed, they can produce entirely-new looks/smells -like asphalt on a hot day...and give the most pounding headaches you'll ever have. But, when they are dialed-in and the grower knows exactly how to select plants and when to harvest and how to cure, etc. that same Sativa genetic can produce the most inspirational and euphoric highs of anything on the planet!

Sometimes, a Sativa-dominant hybrid gets that characteristic to come through -but not often. My experience is that I might get a *blip* of Sativa high for a few minutes, but then the Indica traits will kick in and I'll start speaking like a Californian before I know it! -j/k (I was thinking about that Saturday Night Live skit! lol!)...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHOnUTEStsg[/ame]

17. My opinion is that, unless you have smoked bud from back in the day, you can't say that bud was shit. I've seen the 70's bud High Times pictures, and sure the bud looks like shit, but I've gotten real lit off of some shitty looking bud. Haven't we all had or seen weed that looks unimpressive only to be suprised 10 minutes later? Just my 2 cents

18. Absolutely! In fact, when I first got my card, I went around to a bunch of different dispensaries and got used to seeing all the rock-hard, hydro grown Indica dominant hybrids thinking they were so ubiquitous because they were the best.

Then I found a place that specializes in Sativas and some of them look like those old High Times pictures -except trimmed better...and they kick ass in terms of the quality of the high.

I grow heirloom tomatoes in my garden and there is no comparison in the flavor of one of those misshapen heirloom varieties with one of the "perfect" round red ones you see at the store all year long.

I think the same thing applies with marijuana; Not every bud looks perfect or has the best growth habit for the typical indoor grower. Some buds require expertise and advanced knowledge of growing. Sativas seem to require more of everything -heat, light, space, time, etc. than do Indicas...and that's when it all became clear to me why there are so many Indica hybrids in dispensaries....They are really the only thing that makes sense for commercial growers. Sure, they'll keep a reserva-privada for themselves, but whatever they sell to the dispensaries isn't usually on the connoisseur level.

That's why the place I go to now is so special. I love old school connoisseur, best-of-the-best strains, and so do they. For those in-the-know, those old, craggy-looking Sativa buds that smell like tar will send you off into space! Not everything is blueberry! ;)