Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Old school strains - Where are you??? Acapulco Gold, Pananma Red, Columbian...

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by FreeMJ, Sep 28, 2009.

1. There is a thread on here "bud from the 70s" It has pages from an old high times with proably 50 differnt strains and they where the "best" i guess. The "Mids" i got looks better then ALL of them. 90percent of the weed in those pages i whould be really pissed off if i brought it.

Looks arnt everything and im sure some of those 70s strains gave u a good high. But i whouldnt buy 95percent of that bud today it just looked like brown leafy nasty shit.

2. I wonder if there's a possibility someone's hoarding some seeds maybe? Maybe, when bud is legalized, the people hoarding will be able to come out and start "re-marketing" the old school bud? I don't know, maybe I'm just hoping too much lol.

3. It wouldn't be too hard to just find a similiar high and plant structure and rename it that. Just like many strains today :mad: WW,purple haze , Skunk #1 , ect

The 70's high times weed explains it all :D, today people are way more into weed then ever before. Good ol times IMO are a bunch of hyped stuff tbh. I know many people who were here, but in less your growing your own stuff, you'll never understand how a plant like this is so different depending on grower and his choices. TLC really makes potency, well that and it's gen's . But if you have a great clone of something and treat it like shit, like mass amounts are in cough * Mexico, Columbia , Africa, ect * it would be shitty cause how they grow it, dry it ( usually out on the cement ) and ethier make hash or dried brick, for really cheap. It does not get trimmed real well, nor cured. And will have that storage smell. If it was grown by someone ( homegrown) same strain and everything, those things differently would make some great stuff.

4. Another thing: Many of the people who smoked in the 60's and 70's (myself included) were taking psychedelics such as LSD, mescaline, etc,. at the time - they knew just as well as people today what it was like to get really stoned - in fact, I think they had more experience with psychedelics because the doses were higher and the stuff was purer.

Not to mention the fantastic hashish from Tibet, Nepal, Afghanistan, Lebanon, etc., that the weeds were competing with.

5. what? most of the bastardized dutch hybrids bred in the last decade were done so with potency (and yield) in mind...pot on average is absolutely more potent now than it was 30 years ago.

6. I refused to buy columbian gold once because it was $30 an ounce:(
    For top grade mexican I was spending $100 a pound.

7. ol school strains are where they have been. in jamaica they have real lambs bread, in cancun they have GREAT red hair that will blow you away. a lady hippie i know has seeds from the sixties in a jars and she claims they are all strains from pot she and her husband used to smuggle across the border

• Like Like x 1
  8. OSG would be chewing 90% of you guys out for not knowing your history! Many of us haven't smoked it, but don't be foolish and say our bud today is better. As OSG would endorse, a lot of growers back then didn't trim the buds to the extent that we do, if any. A lot of growers thought that by leaving the fan leaves on, it protected the trichs from falling off when being handled, shipped, etc.

People have been growing bud for thousands of years, and I guarantee they weren't getting blazed off of 0.3% THC content - it'd be like smoking hemp. Don't be fooled by picture either, because look at the quality of cameras compared to now? My 2 megapixel camera, which can't take macros or anything, is way better than their cameras back in the 70's. Don't judge a book by it's cover, even if it's dealing with bud. I can find some stuff that smells like hay and looks alright and get you RIPPED, and I only smoke quality (I am living in Oregon and all).

9. All very true.
    If I didn't smoke so much in the late 60's and 70's (and 80's and 90's, and 2000's) I'd remember more of that.
    Thanks for reminding me:smoking:
    I do remember smoking a pin joint of Gold with a friend.
    Half way through the joint we forgot how to pass the thing.
    Funniest shit you ever want to see.

That brought up another memory, Pin Joints.
    Everything now a days is about blunts and fatties.
    Back then you rolled the named stuff in skinny little pin joints and got totally fucked up.

10. Oh yeah, those were the daze! I remember pin joints.

Yes, kids we had really "dank" pot back then too. Generally it didn't look as nice as today's stuff (the stuff was always leafy as a poster above noted), but it got us wasted. I have hallucinated off of some A'gold and P'red. Most of the stuff we got was seeded, even the really good stuff, but once in a while sinsemilla would show up. We got plenty ripped.

11. #31 objektiv, Oct 26, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2010
    I'm 46, and I started smoking at age 17, in 1981.
    I come from Florida where pot was aplenty, both local and from around the world.
    I'm no hippie, but I can assure you that my experience is EXACTLY the same as the hippie you smoked with.
    We had brown pot we called "commercial" or "columbian", that produced a wonderful high (even if it was a bit harsh to smoke). It was euphoric, in control, just total bliss. No paranoia, no adrenalin, so natural and nice.
    I quit in 1987, because even then, pot was being cultivated to maximize THC exclusively, and the buzz began to amplify pain, cause anxiety all the time, and it was simply not fun. Fast forward 23 years. The stuff today is rocket fuel. I know some people really like it, b/c they either have a high tolerance for THC, or are naturally inclined to benefit from a blasted high. Then again, there's NO doubt that the psychiatric side fx of pot (literally a JOKE in the days of natural weed), are a real concern today.
    In short, Greedy , unwise growers, (sort of the Mc Donald's supersizers of the pot world) and less than wise smokers have turned a once great substance into an unnatural, unbalanced chemical stew. I agree; the high of the mega THC/ super low CBD strains is either one dimensionally blah, or simply awful...racing thoughts, adrenaline, body aches. Marijuana is a very complex substance, and super cultivation has rendered it as useful and benneficial as present day corn or potatos...big yields, crap product.
    I've said it before, I'll say it again; people used to like purer and purer cocaine, until it made their eyes roll back as they flatlined.
    There is indeed such a thing as overkill.
    Luckily, there are legit medicinal users, and smarter recreational types who want the mild euphoria and pain relief from tame strains.
    If you wanted to get a nice alchohol buzz, would you reach for the everclear? A few glasses of wine or a fine rum would do nicely.
    PS: I notice that these days, pot is deeply associated with gangbanger thuggery; gun toting rapists running around, smoking super potent weed, killing people, and worse. Back in the good old days, it was quite the opposite. Mellow people being cool.
    What a lousy turn of events.

12. rofl i dont know what this chemical super weed is that you're smoking, but im smoking all natural norcal dank and im pretty sure its as good as it gets.

13. With respect, look at chemical assays via gas and liquid chromatography: We routinely see strains with a THC to CBD ration exceeding 25/1.
    That's INSANELY more potent that it was twenty years ago.
    CBD both mediated and enhances the effects of THC. THC is the most psychoactive ingredient thus far identified in pot. THC in the absence of mediating levels of CBD can, and quite often does, cause a host of ill effects in even veteran users.
    If you like 20% plus THC values with CBD in the 1% range, then enjoy.
    But the pot of today is without any reasonable doubt, very much more potent, and among the thousands of strains today, most are radically different in the quality of the high.

14. You're right-AND wrong.
    So true that the "war on drugs" what a dog and pony show- drove up the THC content of pot; If you're gonna' face federal prison for smuggling, then you would logically want to smuggle a few kilos instead of a hundred, reduce the chances of being caught, and turn a better profit.
    But although one can smoke much less of today's weed to get high, the chemical content has been drastically altered. And the effects for a great many new and old users have been drastically degraded as a result. The anecdotes are everywhere. I know old time stoners and new ones who all say paranoia is an issue. That was rare indeed, my friend, in 1980. Why? THC was on average about four times less , and CBD was about four times higher in ratio.
    You can't take any compound or food, radically change it's chemical structure, and yield the same product. We have chickens that are grain fed, and pumped full of water to make them heavy when slaughtered...no taste. Then we inject their carcasses with salts and flavorings to make up for the fact that they didn't eat worms, bugs and grasses. But the product still tastes like crap. Actually, crap (so I'm told) has a taste Your average chicken doesn't. Nor does it have a lot of nutritional value.
    Pot has been altered and ruined similarly.

15. POTENT:
    Octane is a measure of potency in engine fuel. But it isn't the type of measure we could use to define the QUALITY of a high, or, more importantly, a medicinal drug.
    Super high potency cocaine kills you. No fun to be had there.
    High potency LSD fries your brain. Psychosis is no way to pay for dropping a tab.
    Today's SSRIs and SSNRIs are "potent," but leave many at risk for horrible side effects as tardive dyskenesia, parkinsonism, lingering sexual disability, diabetes, and on and on.
    Again, everclear is POTENT. But it can burn a hole in your gut and leave you passed out and dying.
    I have respect for the fact that individual biochemistry makes super potent pot nice for a lot of people. But if you knew what it was like to smoke weed that made you feel great with ZERO negative effects, you'd be disappointed with today's Mc Pot; SUPERSIZE ME!

16. One of the best posts I've read on GC. Rep+

17. #37 objektiv, Oct 26, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2010
    You're falling prey to something we all did, back in the day. Pretty, sticky, colorful , fragrant buds....oooh, ahh!
    But, along the way, cosmetics trumped quality medicine. Is there any surprise. A McCrap burger LOOKS good...then comes the gut bomb.
    I had Gainseville Green in 1982: Hawiian weed grown in north Florida. It was intense, but still 100% pleasant. I smoked Humboldt county weed...same thing. I smoked gold bud from the Islands and from Mexico...less glamorous, no wintergreen flavor, but it was wonderful, with nothing bad about it at all.
    Looks and the cry of POTENCY are decieving.
    You will see a lot of cross breeds with hemp in the next few years to raise CBD to the levels it had a few decades ago. Then you'll know why pot was so incredibly alluring, so safe, such a superior alternative to other drugs in the first place.
    If it started out the way it is today, it would never, ever have been a mass phenomenon. See. millions of people would never have lined up to start a craze where 40% of the time, people said "hey, I'm all paranoid, my thoughts are racing, and I have weird body aches, or I want to vomit."
    People would have passed on that in a second.
    But given time, people will swallow anything, if it's all that's available...again, I offer you Mc Crap burger, and all the other fast "food" chains as an example. Believe it or not, 30 years ago, Wendy's was DAMN good. Today, I wouldn't feed that junk to my dog.

18. i have some Classic Acapulco Gold seeds, striaght from my hippie uncle's back yard :b he said it's been there for over30 years.

19. Again, breeding backwards with HEMP will yield the results.
    It's already happening. When these street-dealer dispensaries with zero useful knowledge and less scruples either get replaced, or get wise (or maybe when the "medicinal marijuana" business is not driven by 80% non disabled recreational users who think high THC = the best buzz), it will occur to millions of people that pot was GREAT long before all the super cultivation.
    Beef used to taste good, when it ate grass. Buffalo was great, too, but now it's mostly corn fed. So it is big, but lousy. High THC creates a big, dirty high, but it sucks for many users.
    But that will change. Make your dispensary start testing for THC/CBD...demand real medicinal strains instead of meth in a bud.
    They'll eventually respond.

20. I am a younger guy (in my 20's), but I have had the pleasure and the privilege of growing up in a family of enthusiasts, so to speak...I completely agree with your position that older genetics generally produce a more satisfying, well-rounded experience. a great example is the Highland Oaxacan Gold I have in my stable....without a doubt the most perfectly balanced, enjoyable, relaxing buzz I have ever found with pot. It's distressing to consider the ramifications of allowing this "closet hack" pollen chucking under the guise of breeding to go on any further. We've already hybridized our way right into monotony, and by extension complacency. If you're a commercial grower, do you want a 65 day finisher that produces a quap per plant with huge standing trichs and a smell that goes through walls, or a 140 day, scraggly, 8 foot tall closet monster that will yield a third of what the commercial indica variety will? So it's hard to know who to blame, the suppliers or the consumers...

I know that personally, I can count on one hand the commercially available genetics that I feel are actually worth a shit, and most of them are all from one breeder (DJ Short). No big surprise that old school Mexican genetics are the backbone for nearly all of his breeding projects, including the legendary Blueberry.

Now I have a confession to make. I just smoked an absurd amount of hash oil and I have no idea where I was going with this post, nor do I know if it even makes sense up to this point. I'll just leave you with that. :wave: