Old school grow advice "member cheap old basterd club"

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by SG1, Jan 5, 2012.

1. Ahhh i see what your saying or i think. So basically if i exhaust the air into a room i just keep pulling in the same air. I havent had any humidity problems so far but thats pretty neat ive never thought about it like that. Lets say i was growing in a room in my house would the only way to bring new air in through maybe a window or A/C?

2. #82 SG1, Jan 11, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2012
    Good to hear back from you Moshi.
    You got the point! When your plants are small they will not drink and expend a great deal of water. But as they get big, a healthy plant can circulate 5 gallons of water a week into the air. I am going to get one of those freestanding AC's that just has a 4 inch hose that has to vent to the outdoors. The real benifit to one of those is that it needs to expell the heat outside so it also acts as a small exhaust fan. I am sure it is not going to kick out alot of CFM's but since AC's also dehumidifies, cools, and exhausts, then you have a win, win, win, tool.

3. Wow SG1 you sir are a BOSS of BOSSES.

4. Oi SG1 mate , thanks 4 asap response . yeah expelling into roof space , why is that ?. what im concerned with is that with a y connector it will favour the cool tube like 95% and the poor carbon filter wont get much attention but i think that would only be the case if i had the Y connector pre fan not post fan. So if it was c.filter - Y connector - fan it wouldnt work but with like i said = filter - fan - Y connect - the fan will concerntrate on the filter 100% and like you said it will now be able to do 2 jobs the cool tube should get 100% as well because of the Y connector is connected to cool tube then to out side of tent . and yes i am a cheap old bastard as well born in 70 . T.Y SG1

5. SGI , im happy because i dont have to go buy another 6" fan and also wont have the extra noise or electricity bill .money saved is money earned right ? what stage are your juniors because i hatched 2 widows and a sweet deep grape fruit on the 1.1.2012 and there wanting the cool tube i been raving about real soon . started them on 4x 28w cfl so yeah want to piss those off like yesterday but there only at leave number 1 and 2 but will be at real 3 blade leave in two days so thats why i been sweating on this Y connector set up working asap. im smashed so i c u later on mate

6. Yo lost, Always a pleasure.
    So you have youngsters. Growing is like waiting to get old enough to drink. You sneak a drink now and then and can't wait to do it for real. You start with a couple of seeds and can't wait to have a real garden. Hat's off to you mate. When asked of the size of my young ones, I can only say that if you stepped into my world for a day you would know the true meaning of the grow! But you also need to know that I also take care of old timers(seniors) for a living. I have only had one day off in the last 6 Years. My work, my grow, my wife, is my life. I am institutionalized in a happy way. Peace to you brother. SG1

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Aha ha ha lol, crack me up SG1 , hows bacon ? she actually looks like the spawn of satin .I knew you where the real deal and one day i will learn your ways. just a recap on my question can you see why the placement of the Y connector will de-termin if my excaust works or fails ? and why did you ask where im terminating the excaust please?

8. The split system may not work. I have been thinking over the problem and what I think will work to both nuetralize the smell and exhaust your grow is to simply to put the filter in your tent, suck the air straight out. Your other question is where to terminate the exhaust? OK let's see, with a tent grow you must realize that you have a room, inside a room, inside a house. So we can call it a closed system. Meaning the air is never replaced by fresh air. Like trying to breath in a bag. Eventually running out of fresh air. And with this stale air is a build up of moisture. Now I must consider that your down under in summer so I would guess it is quite dry both in and outside. If you maintain a small grow in a dry enviroment then you may not need to worry about moisture and eventually molding. So if your plan is to just keep it a closed system and cool your tent with just inside air and filter the smell out then I wouldn't use the Y at all, rather than just a straight run from the tent to the room and into the air scrubber. If this still doesn't make sense than I just don't understand your specific situation.
    SG1

9. no the split system cant work because the Y wont direct a flow current two ways it will only concerntrate on the one piece of vent. it wont be able to do two jobs unless its inline with each other . please excuse me because im a plumber and i was thinking of natural fall not airo dynamics .so i think i might of been being a too cheap a bastard . the answer like you say would have to be filter - cool-tube - fan or of course get a second 6"fan for two individual exhausts .

10. by the way here is my set up witch i should have told you from the beginning i have a 3'x3'x6' custom tent in a bedroom that is next to a attic . i have 2 - 400w in a one 6"cool tube and a 9"x24" c.filter ,bubble dwc. By the way i didnt think i would be on this venting question so much i actually confused my self trying to get tricky so i tried but it didnt work . so i am nearly ready to move forward and i really appreciate your patience and helping me with this .so two more questions on this and then i will move forward Q:would you have filter-cool tube fan or would you get a second fan and have individual exhausts? lol im going back to original question could you have a 4" inline fan on a 6"x24"c.filter because i think c.filters are at there best when the air flow is quite low

11. OK, Got it. Run one fan from filter to attic is good, most you'll have to do is a little drywall repair when you, or if you move. I did drywall for 25 years! "fuck'n plumbers" always cutting holes in my walls. Sorry, did I say that out loud. 'Har Har' Mate.
    And yes a small fan to vent your hoods and tent right into the room. And if you keep even low cfm fans will sufficiently keep smell to minimum. Your not going to get that much smell out of such a small tent anyway. I wouldn't worry about it.
    Before I bought land, I used to rent houses to grow. I would do one big crop '40-50' plants and didn't care about the smell. I always rented homes with full basements with either a furnace or hot water heater vent and pumped it straight out to the top of house. By the time anyone noticed, they would never be able to locate the grow house. I grew right in the middle of bunch of other houses. I'd finish one crop and move.
    If someone passes silent gas everybody just start looking at everybody. But who did it?
    Shit don't look at me. Peace Lost

• Like Like x 1
  12. #92 DrD, Jan 12, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2012
    This is what I call a smart pot, I found them at Home Depot today. Contico brand, 27 gallons, 20"x30", reinforced sides, not flimsy like a rubbermaid. Rated to hold 400 pounds! 5 of them perfectly cover 50" x 60". On sale for $10 instead of $14 , basically the cost of two 5 gallon buckets. Oh, they have lids to keep cats out when not in use!

[​IMG]

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202976606/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

I admit, I NEVER would have bought these today had we not discussed pots before hand. Maybe for gear, but not for planting.

13. Howdy, DrD, nice hearing from you again.
    Excellent for 2 plants each when planted right to the edges. Put plants in diagonally as to spread them as far apart as possible.
    But I see something you don't. I see the lids being stackable, which means they are good catch trays and perfect for catching run off water assuming you drill holes in the totes. If not then still great for extra insulation for bottoms. The only downfall for me is that I pick up my pots before and after watering and would probably hurt myself. I went from 25's to 17's because I am getting to old to lift that much.

14. #94 DrD, Jan 12, 2012
    Yeah, I saw how the lid works under them too. I had six of them out in the aisle at the store, kind of like playing giant legos. By the time I got done, most them were sold because people kept walking up to see what I was doing :cool: So I bought 6 to have one extra. I think it will be my standard container.

I was wondering about spacing, I have never tried a diagonal before. I usually just push them to the outside edges on center. The Diagonal is a great suggestion. If I do it right, side lighting later on will work better too. I have to go draw this out on paper.

I think I will also fill the lid up to see how much water it will hold with a tub on top of it.

15. SG1 mate i have to be concerned about smell because i live in a apartment and both my neighbours are cop friendly so to speak . last year i had two w.widows that smelled so strong even with my c.filter but i think i was getting the smell from opening the tent this year im going to have the tent in cased in a second massive plastic room so a tent within a tent in a room , ive read concealing the smell very good and underrated . you must of had some big odours in the past . but you americans are lucky because you have wild skunks . when i was in california we where driving down the high way and my mate said can you smell the skunk and i said fucken yeah and actually thought it was a grow but he laughed and said no the animal . so i now believe thats where the skunk cannabis name come from because there so similar

16. Lost, I never started that small. When I started at 20 y/o The punishment for 50 plants was the same as 1 plant. I always knew that it takes money to make money. I have never had the need for a small garden. I am the kind of guy that if I am going to do something why not over do it. All you fellas are infactuated with these tiny tents.
    For the same cost for a small tent, I can set up a 10x10 grow room with a 1000wt mh and grow 9 plants. I would add an extra 1000wt hps for the budding and harvest 6-8 oz's each. Roughly 3 pounds. But I guess it's like those little toy dogs. Cute but don't do shit. My old lady smokes more than a tent can produce.(she loves my weed)
    I have always kept investing in bigger and bigger grows. At the same time worked hard at many jobs, Now at 51 am sitting in a huge house I built myself. 8 1/2 acres of nice land with big tall trees With a 1/2 acre fenced 8' high with solid plywood right in the middle. See pics
    But anyway explained my exhaust when I used to rent in my last post to you. Now I don't care anymore. The great state of Oregon allows me to legally grow and I can only see one other house from home. PARADISE Peace going to bed now.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  17. What's up SG1,

I was wondering if you could point me towards a way to hang a 400w hps horizontally without a hood, I haven't purchased a mogul socket base yet, i was thinking a square base might be easier to rig up something reliable to hold it. ive searched and searched for something like this but havent found anything, im sure your the man to ask,

itallburns

18. #98 Danyul, Jan 12, 2012
    So refreshing to meet someone who shares so many of my beliefs. The 20 yr. old you talk about in the very last post is so similar. I'm 20, and my plants talk to me man. They are like friends, the nerds have the builds and tech down but fuck up the relationship.

I know I will, and can't wait to be where you are someday.

Inspirational post.

19. HOly shit I'm learning so much.

20. Hey itall,
    All you need is a light socket and cord you get at the grow shops. They only cost about 20-25 bucks. Of course you need to invest in some 2 mil mylar for your ceilings and walls. As to make your room a gaint hood. Unless of course you have one of them cute little tents then never mind. Still can switch to hoodless operation with a tent. thanks for your question SG1