Old school grow advice "member cheap old basterd club"

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by SG1, Jan 5, 2012.

1. I actually am going to disagree. I liked this thread until this response.
    I'm surprised you haven't seen a MJ plant that has lived through multiple blooms outdoors.

2. jesstany, if that is true is it for both sexes?

3. Jesstany, I am not here to upset anyone or disgrace others.
    So if I offended you, I do offer my apology.
    So let me be more specific to my region in the world. I am on the 45 parallel. Our maximum range for grow season for outdoor w/o greenhouse is at earliest mid-may.
    Latest is end october in a good year. This last year It started raining with highs of 50 degrees. That constant rain started molding everything by oct. 7. So as you see we can only grow outdoors for max 5 month. I got everything harvested by oct 14. I still have several massive stalks out that haven't been removed yet.
    I can assure you with the greatest of confidence that these plant are as dead as can be and if need be I can take a photo to prove they are toast.
    Now I have heard of multiple harvest from old grower friends from Hawaii. These guys said they harvested up to 3 times. They call it the 1st,2nd,3rd Green harvest.
    So Again my Dear Sir, I do apolgize. SG1:eek:

• Like Like x 1
  4. It's all good.

I'm in the tropics. I know of people that have out door plants that have been blooming for about 4 years. After a few years the plants look like a normal bush - especially if the tips of the leaves are cut. Your plants look good and I like the simple technique. I grow with mostly Coco and use guano/castings teas for nutrients.

5. I was referring to the Kelvin rating. There are very warm MH bulbs, 3000K, and some that are 4000K and still referred to as warm but they have more blue.

6. Ahh the tropics, sounds like paridise.
    You gotta remember I am an old cracky basterd, just got satelite internet and going wild and shit. Took me a while to figure a computer out. Used to go all angry monkey on my computer but with the right amount of gerital and prozac I am better now. Sometimes hard to remember that this the WORLD WIDE WEB and that I may be talking to someone from a different part of the world.:wave:
    Here is a picture of my sweet island skunk from last year. She finished of at 11 ft and produced 4.5 lbs. I lost 20% to mold because of early, cold, continuos rain during last 2 weeks :( But anyway you can't see my set up. So let me explain
    First the pool is off the ground. It is actually sitting on a homemade turntable made of steel. The full container with soil weighs about 800 lbs and I can spin it with one hand. I rotate the plant 1/4 turn everyday. This grows the plant stronger and more even and produced 25% more bud. I have 18 of these turntables.
    and they cost me $150. to make. They will last 10 years or so. Paid for themselves first year. I back all this up with science. As I experimented with 6 exact plants. I put 3 on turntables and 3 without. All 3 turntabled plant produced an average of 46 oz's each. The immovable plant only produced 35 oz's average. On top of that all the plants on turntables stood stronger than the immoble plants. The rain made the weak plants top sag while the others stood tall. Successful grow for sure.
    OK, the kiddie pools cost me $15. The 3 ft fencing and plastic is another $5. Then soil and my special root stuff was $75. So It took $250 Total to grow monsters. The containers hold 250 gallons of clean, bug free, Soil that I have 100% control of. The plants get 100% of everything I put on them, no weeds. Shitty pic of average top bud. Tape measure in inches. Lenght 18 in and diameter 6 in. Average dry weight 2 1/2 oz's each bud. "BANG"
    That my good man is Cheap old basterd at work. Peace:devious:

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  7. To Poppy, I guess the old man needs his read'n glasses. I never in my 31 yrs knew about the kelvin output. Hell back then the bulbs were the size of you head. I didn't care, just knew it grew good dope. The warm and cool verbage is just the names sunmaster bulb company give them. Not every bulb company uses that wording. But the redder are my prefference.

8. Oi SG1 good to meet you im L.C i just finished reading this thread and am glad i did . r u doing a grow journal with that amazing room ? i hope so . i live in australia and its not cool to grow here either except for one state S.A i think you can have like 3 it used to be 10 . I want to move there one day and cut sick . c u around the city mate

9. I am going to use negative pressure and pull the air out so I need to have some control. The other issue is being in a basement I don't want condensation forming on the floor boards above. I decided I am just going to seal the top first with 6mil plastic sheeting, then get my 2 plywood walls up, the other two are cinder block. Then I will get the space sealed up tight and test air flow before I add the mylar. That way the mylar just has to go up, not be a big prodcution and can "twinkle" too.

I also think the cinder block walls will act like thermal mass and help regulate the overall temp a bit, so I do want them to breath so to speak and let the room air flow over them.

I am going to pull the air out through a Dayton blower I have sitting around waiting for a project. Probably put a Phresh carbon filter on that air line and maybe the sound dampner as well. Then add a switch so I can adjust air flow and temp control as needed.

10. Thats all well and good, but you do all that based on your years of experience. A new grower can't go by feel, can't go by what the plants tell them, because they do not know yet what the plant tells them, or know the weight wet and dry of their pots. New growers need to start out with schedules and stuff (Simple is still best) to give them time to learn their environment, to learn the plants, to learn to grow.

I kept my grows (hydro) as simple as can be so I can learn what you are speaking of. 2 years later, and yes, I no longer need to measure ppm's (I do check PH regularly though). I don't have any set feeding times or amounts, because now I can base all of that on the plants, and the knowledge I have learned. But if I had tried that in the beginning I would have failed miserably.

But its good to see someone with knowledge come here to help out. +Rep for you. There are so many here who know JACK about growing that hand out advice that is absolutely pointless, and full of so many myths. Peace. :smoke:

• Like Like x 1
  11. OI, Back at ya Lost.
    First contact with a mate down under. A pleasure for sure. I will indeed post a journal on my new grow room. Already full of 10 different strains. 18 plants total. Am going to get 2/3 done before I start new thread as not to put anyone to sleep. It will be more informative if it is condensed from 3 months down to 1 month. Should be fun. And again a pleasure hearing from you. Peace, love, and purple nugs. SG1

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. To DrD,
    Seems you have you plan in place. Hope you do incredibly well so you can expand in the near future. Good work, and good grow to you. SG1

13. hey sg1 good thread man :hello:.dam i dont think of myself (just yet) to be a 'old bastard':eek: but im up their.:cool:.lol hey you have some great points an very good ideas..ill be riding along on this one..that 11footer is a beast..4lbs.woooooooooooowwwwww.10 BY FAR IN MY BOOK.great work.DRO

14. To Badaxe. Thank you for your input. I do agree with you on all issues. I wish I could train guys personally but that is impossible of course. All the young guys want instant success. Just follow a recipe and BAM instant cake. Just not the way it is. I suggest to new growers with soiless grows to pick up pots that have soil right out of the bag and before watering or planting as to have a standard to go by. These guys don't want to hear how many crops an old timer fucked up before he got it right. It took years to never have spider mite problems. They show up and within 2 weeks "DIE MOTHERFUCKERS". Experience taught me to spot them quick and treat them dead. But my methods can't help someone who let their plants web up before they even know what they got. I've lost crops to mites and learned from it the hard way. I over watered crops to death, over fertilized, you name it I've done it. Key is I always had a real job so I always got the bills paid. My failures hurt but life went on. All the younglings don't realize that this is not the path of finacial success. And should be a hobby.
    The japenese people have a word for my style of learning, called 'Kaizen' or improvement in small steps. Thats how I learned was in small steps.
    I wish there was a schedule or a recipe to ensure successful grows for all. Of course we wouldn't need this forum then. As I would gladly share the secrets with all who wanted it. Funny to see a help thread for a problem only to get 100 posts with 100 different solutions. Great, just pick one and fuck it up even more. Aarrrggg.
    I am really just trying to show that there are cheaper methods to achieve success and how they can learn without all the crap thats thrown at them.
    Unfortunatly success is hard earned in every high paid profession known to us. Education is still and always will be the key to being good at anything. Thanks again for your input. SG1

• Like Like x 4
  15. To Lics,
    Thanks for your kind words. My eventual goal is the 10 pounder. With the right tweeking, good strains, and a good grow season, It will be done. Both simlpy and of course "cheap". Nice hearing from you. SG1

16. like your style sir , +rep coming your way.
    Middy

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. To Midlife,
    You too, kind sir are a gentleman. And I thank you! SG1

18. Awesome! Those look incredible man. I love your plants.

19. peace luv and purple nugs is what i call happy days , thanks 4 the asap response . im in the middle of summer here and its fuckin hot , i am waiting 4 it to cool a little before i start but i was testing my second ballast also a 400w and the first ones case is very warm but the second one is unable to touch its so dam hot . do you think it is ok or how hot do they run without causing concern ? ps if i left it on paper or wood i think it would start a fire but i let them hang untouched by any thing for that reason . i will run a test and actually lie it on paper for 24/h and see if it burns paper or timber , in a safe environment ov course away from my house .thanks in advance Last cone

• Like Like x 1
  20. Happy days indeed Lost,
    You have to understand that your bulbs imitate the sun. It is the hot gas or plasma which when excited by electrons glow brightly, thus creating our indoor sun. You know the sun is hot and so are the bulbs. The light may or may not start a fire if touching wood or paper. I know for sure that it burns my bald head when I touch it. But anyway I don't worry about burning anything, and I only use 1000wt. Just for safety, I not only use a chain or wire but also secure the light cord in case of failure of my chain or wire. Called redundancy. 400wt do not get as hot but still must be respected. I have been working in my room and knocked a light of it's hook and it just swung on the cord.
    Could have hit the floor and lost an expensive bulb. Not good. May your buds be sticky and your hairs red. SG1

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1