old people and driving

Discussion in 'General' started by DebbyDowner, Mar 12, 2013.

1. So I want to share what happened to me a couple of hours ago and wonder what you guys would do if this happened to you

I was driving behind this early 2000 toyota avalon and I notice that this guy was swerving in his lane. This really didn't alarm me because people do this all the time when they're reaching for something in their glove compartment/checking a text/just really bad at driving. It got to the point where he started to swerve into the other lane and I started to get pissed off because not only is he endangering other people on the road, he's going like 20 miles per hour in a 40 mile zone making it nearly impossible to pass him. (Mind you this is in a two lane one way, luckily not during a busy hour) So I eventually got fat-up with this guy and went around him, and as I do the guy nearly swerves right into me. And as I try to make eye contact with him so that I can shoot him the bird, i see this 70+ old man, head leaning back, eyes closed, with his hands barely touching the bottom of the wheels. Seriously I thought the dude was sleeping.

wtf would you have done? I just sped off because I knew he could randomly accelerate and hit me, but like what if the dude goes into a tree or hits someone who tries to pass him? lol i kinda feel guilty, but like wtf

2. Scream I dont give a fuck with the windows down and the system up.

3. Please don't get me started on this, it is a fucking huge issue and these old stubborn fucks need to learn when its time to use a bus. I get a BAD feeling everytime the vehicle ahead of me is an old person, just like a spider sense, i've become so attuned to dealing with their bullshit i dont even need to see the driver to know its some old fuck driving.

And it wouldnt piss me off as bad if their fuckin stubborness didn't come through into their driving but unfortunately in like 90% of the cases it does. Stubborn cunts.

4. Tell him to suck a bag of dicks next time!

5. old people should be banned from driving.

6. What's more dangerous on the road, a 70-year old man or a 18-year old girl?

(careful how you answer, for I know damn well which one of those two is constantly texting while driving)

Also, feel free to define "old" here, and then have fun when it's your turn to voluntarily hand over your license just because you reached a magical age where YOUR eyesight, sanity, and mental capacity to drive a car were not in question yesterday, but they are today, because it's your birthday. :rolleyes:

Seems you're confusing "old" with "competent", which can be questioned at any age.

7. old people as in 50+

they should be banned or atleast have to do a driving test, i actually read some statistics and it was old people and learner drivers that cause the most accidents.

8. 50 years old? We still have people racing professionally older than that, which again shows the flaw in using age as a measure.

I can agree with vision and/or driving tests, but honestly, those should probably be administered at any age. It takes 20 minutes to verify someone is competent with a simple test, and you get a new license every 5 to 7 years. Not like it's gonna put a dent on your lifestyle.

As far as the statistics, you should probably take another look. Distracted driving is worse than you think, and there aren't enough old people or learner drivers on the road to pose as much of a risk. It's going to get worse too.

Distracted Driving | Facts and Stats | Texting and Driving

9. Idk but I will say texting and driving is pretty hard

10. A lot of these folks are victims of Rx drugs their Dr gives them. They go to 2 or 3 diff Drs who give them meds without checking on the reactions they have to other meds they are taking.....Happens all the time, just like when you hear about one of them falling in the middle of the night and breaking their hip, it's usually because of some sleep med they're taking...don't be so harsh, if we live long enough we'll all be in that same boat.....

11. I think everyone under 50 should take a fuck'n bus!

12. While playing 2pac I don't give a fuck.
    That'll def grind some gears!

13. it's hard to say what to do about problems like this without being discriminating to someone. what can we fairly do - retest old people every two years? well if we were to do that we should test everyone every two years. it would be a bitch and more expensive but the roads would be that much safer. i feel like there's no real way to solve the problem unfortunately there's too many shitty drivers young and old.

14. This. I know plenty of old heads that drive; well too

15. they should change the legal driving age to 21.

16. There should be standard driving tests for anyone over 50 everytime they renew their license to make sure they are still ok to drive. I don't know why this isn't being done.

17. no way man, theres plenty of responsible 19 and 20 year olds who gotta go to work and shit. even 18 year olds. unless you're just poking fun at the idea of the thread, lol

18. Actual statistics show that the most dangerous drivers are under 25, and over 75.

19. yup..

that's why insurance companies charge so much more for those age groups... they are a huge risk.

20. I was at the BMV takin my test to get my motorcycle permit and some old dude was taking his driving test. Like real old, 80+. He couldn't stand on his own, couldnt hear the beeping in tge headphones, didnt get any of the peripheral lights and read most of the letters wrong. After he was screwin everything up the deputy started helping him to get all the shit right and then they passed the mother fucker. Who knows what he got on the question portion.

Then...this is what really pissed me off...when i walked up to the counter after he left, the deputy goes man i hope i never pass that guy on the road. I just stared at him with this blank look, like wtf did u just say to me? This guy should have been fired...that was about 6 years ago though.