Old no till pots

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by XFelix18, Mar 30, 2017.

1. A friend of mine had 4 20 gal smart pots filled with an organic no-till style medium, worms, cover crop, etc. Unfortunately it had to be all cut down and has been dormant for a month or two now. We haven't checked the pots in that long either lol

So when we go to check them I'm assuming the worms will be dead. If so, is the soil ruined and do we need to start over, or...?

Thanks in advance!

2. I mixed up soil and let it dry out for like 1-2 years, brought it back to life with a bit of a water soak then an alfalfa brew.. it all came back to life after that!

I've also had a bag of compost sit for a year and opening it back up it was filled with worms (although that is moist compost in a plastic bag not smart pots)

3. I guess it's worth a shot to water them and give them a tea and see what happens then.

• Like Like x 1
  4. If it has dried out so much that the worms have all perished fear not. Most likely there are lots of cocoons laid, just waiting for moisture to hatch. I would slowly rehydrate the smarties with aloe water. The aloe in the water will help correct the hydrophobic peat much easier. Depending on the environmental conditions where they have been stored, the worms may have found a moist enough spot to survive. If I had a little time before starting a new crop, I would sow a little clover to help things get going. If not just mulch it real good, and you should be back in business.
    cheers
    os

5. Aloe water cures everything! I do have time to wait so I'll definitely plant some clover.

• Like Like x 1