Oklahoma personhood bill?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by iskander323, Feb 17, 2012.

1. It's the states right to do so. If the people of the state disagree with it, they can always vote those responsible for the bill out of office. Or even move to a different state.

This is nothing close to sharia law, that would be if they caught a woman committing adultery, they put her to death...

2. The state has every right to pass this sort of legislation. Now as to whether or not I agree with it is a whole different issue all together. Just so happens there are 49 other states as well.

However, Sharia law this is most certainly not, not by any stretch of the imagination could this be conceived as even close IMO. One does not have to be a Jesus freak or relegious to think that killing an embryo is murder. Some people do have differing opinions on abortion after all.

3. Isn't abortion banned in Ireland? UK doesn't allow abortions on request?

How do you like your halal cooked raghead!

4. #5 Lenny., Feb 17, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2012
    After they're done messing with women, they are coming after us men and they are going to ban our right to a vasectome. That statement was sarcastic, but I don't rule that out.

What I don't understand, is that a woman is also a person, so when does her right to her body end and the embryo's rights begin?

Seriously, the real libertarian platform is to leave it up to the individual, not the state. The state can kiss my ass. It's still statism even if not on a federal level.

5. Bingo. However, if the state fucks up, the law could be repealed quickly and without much ado.

If the feds were to pass something like this, it would be on the books for a while at the very least, if not forever. The states are self correcting, the federal gov is not.

Individual rights > States rights > federal government rights.

That is how it should be. The abortion issue is very tricky and no one will ever be pleased with whatever legislation is made, thats why 50 states with 50 interpretations is best, because one will most likely line up with the opinion of others more readily than a one size fits all kind of thing.

6. I think it's unnatural to give anything that cannot survive on its own a right to personhood.

You naturally own yourself and your body because you are autonomous. A fetus is not.

That's the cold naturalist side of me. The side that has feelings says it's counter evolutionary to kill your own children.

In any event, government being involved will not help anyone.

7. I think after Ron Paul wins everyone who wants that type of theocracy can move to OK. OK?:p
    Just let us in once in a while to collect ditchweed genetics.

8. I wonder how the younger people who don't have the ability to simply move out of the state feel about that...

I also wonder if Ron Paul's stance on states governing themselves isn't maybe a little too open ended.

9. Looks like a new black market for abortions has just risen! Its like they dont realize abortion laws dont work, women can just drink and abuse drugs and kill the baby if they really want.

10. Meh, could be hard to gauge how much drinking and abusing drugs you need. Might as well find a staircase and a backup coat hanger.

11. [quote name='"junkiedays"']

Meh, could be hard to gauge how much drinking and abusing drugs you need. Might as well find a staircase and a backup coat hanger.[/quote]

You get the idea though right? Like, if a woman really wants to its not too hard to kill a fetus. My friend tried the staircase thing it didnt work, he also tried punching her in the stomach alot, this was in middle school too like wtf mayne

12. You can still enforce national laws in states by amending the Constitution...

13. People in Oklahoma are entertaining. But that bill is stupid how can an embryo be a person if it can only survive if it is attached to the mother via umbillical cord. ( don't know if that is how you spell umbillical)

14. I already wrote to my reps requesting to not vote for this.. fucking politicians thinking they know all about life and science and what a "life" deserves.. I hate living in Oklahoma and cant wait to finish uni (2 months :yay: ) and uproot from this pathetic place.

15. more interference in people's lives. Wonerful.

16. Where in Ok are you? I'm going to visit my uncles family in Norman this summer, and my grandparents in Enid as well. OU is a great school, and it's nice enough to visit, I like the cost of living there too, much better than out here In the NE...

17. this bill hasnt been passed yet it has to be approved by the governor but if it does its so fucked up. women who got pregnant from rape or incest would not be allowed to have an abortion under the bill. sickening

18. Even a rape victim can give the baby up for adoption. Not saying I think it's fair to make a rape victim carry the baby to term, just that it's not like it's life threatening...

But, there are certain times that carrying a baby to full term can endanger the mothers life, now If those abortions wouldn't be allowed...:confused:

If they did pass the law, the first time a mother dies in childbirth because she was denied a life saving abortion, the law will have to be scrutinized very closely, and either altered or repealed at that point.

19. Yeah, I've kind of gone back and forth in my mind. I just feel as if this shouldn't be legistlated, therefore a person that wants to get one can get one, and a person who doesn't agreee with abortion doesn't have to get one.