Okay ... so what's wrong with Miracle Grow?

Discussion in 'Absolute Beginners' started by Fox, Jul 1, 2003.

1. HIGH ALL. It's been a while but I'm about to get back in the game. I have previously used Miracle-Grow as my only fertilizer but have read in various places that it should be avoided, especially for young plants. I am willing to accept this info on face value but would be happier if I knew the 'science' behind it.

Thanks.

2. MG is OK for MJ, but there are better choices. Too much salt content in MG that tends to build up in the potting soil and plant and can lend itself to overtfertilizing and burning up your plant if you don't use it correctly.

3. IMHO there is nothing wrong with Miracle Grow in itself. If used cautiously (1/4 to 1/2 strength) it should be fine when applied to plants more than 2 or 3 weeks old. You shouldn't need fert anything before 3 weeks anyway if you're growing in well mixed soil initially.

However also IMHO the chemical nature of the fert adds a certain taste to the bud. This can be removed by stopping MG a decent length of time before harvest and flushing the plant with clean water.

For this reason alone it's worth trying to use organic. Thrive or something similar and use organic additions (bloodmeal for Nitro, bonemeal or bat guano for Phos, and potash or kelp for potassium).

As for science, it's heavy salt content has a bearing as mentioned above.

If there were a poll....my personal vote would be to not use MG.

SS

[EDIT - it's not cheap either]

4. First off, make sure its about 28 days old (as SS said)

Second, its a good fert, but not exactly designed for marijuana (no fert is, but there are much better ones out there) Too much salt, as bpp said.

Grasscity Deals Near You