Okay guys i need help :/

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by The Third Eye, Jul 25, 2011.

1. #1 The Third Eye, Jul 25, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2011
    Alright so my plants are comin along quite nicely right now and pretty soon they may start to smell and I already have a carbon filter but I can't seem to adequately cool my setup unless I have the top completely off. I have the carbon filter on the inside of the box hooked up to 2 28 cfm computer fans. Temps end up around 100 with top closed D:

Do I need stronger fans? How could I hook them up to my filter without having to make a new one? Also I just got fired so I'm on a limited budget, although all suggestions are welcome! Here's some pics to give a better idea

All help is greatly appreciated!

EDIT: i know that i need stronger fans, i just could use someone to recommend some that may be better for my situation or just point me in the right direction as i am clueless lol

Attached Files:

2. Well having a filter is going to drop the cfm rating on your fans... I'm no expert, but I can say it would probably take a lot of computer fans to keep 8 cfls cool. What's the ambient temp of the room? Fans alone aren't gonna get you below that... If even close.

3. #3 The Third Eye, Jul 25, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    I'm willing to buy new fans. I'd say I have about $50 to spend on things for my grow and if that's what I need to do I'll buy em, but if you could recommend the things I need that may be able to fix it, it'd help so much!

Also, ambient temps are around 67-72 around the grow box, but I'm not to sure about my thermostat in the box cuz it just seems a little off to me

4. Check this out. Probably take some creativity to make it work, but I'm willing to bet it'll drop your temps... And the price is right... Haven't used this one, but I bet it'll be better than what you got!

5. Oh, and I feel ya on the lost job deal. My outdoors just got their second set of leaves and BAM... All the sudden the new owners of the hotel I had been in for over 5 years decided I was over paid. Such a sad world we live in...

6. I'm having trouble following the link on my iPhone but I'll check it out when I can get to a laptop

7. More airflow would definitely help. You can achieve this a few ways. You can increase input volume by adding more or larger/better flowing fans. You can decrease output restriction by either getting a more permeable filter media, or increasing the output volume by adding another output hole and filter. Messing with the media could have negative results as too thin of a media could mean more air gets through unfiltered and stinky. For best results both increasing input and output airflow volume should lower your internal temps.

For your budget, you could also rig up some type of chiller pretty easily as well, but would most likely require more maintenance that solving airflow issues.

8. #8 The Third Eye, Jul 25, 2011
    I think better fans are my solution plus some homemade CO2 if I still can't get them under control.

Any setup or advice on what fans are best or where to get them?

9. walmart has little fans that are real quiet and churn some air :)

10. #10 The Third Eye, Jul 25, 2011
    I know, I just wanna be sure of what I'm buying. Could anyone possibly guestimate how much cfm or just basically help me out with some more specifics. Can't be spending precious money on things that don't work you know.

11. seriously man the little office ones at walmart. theyd be perfect for your setup. their so small put churn good air put like 4 or 5 in i promise ull see a difference

12. I dont think his problem is circulation. The two extra fans in there should keep air moving within that small of a space. The extreme difference in inside and outside temperature, along with the fact that is goes down when he removes the lid seems more like an issue of not getting enough fresh air inside. Five fans would be too difficult to mount to one filter.

I don't have any recommendations on model or where to get them myself. I am still deciding on what to go with for my grow, and have a larger area to deal with.

13. i stilll say fans try it u may be suprised. as of space they should fit their small

14. I know they will fit but no sense in movin around hot air if I can't get it out of my box efficiently. Anybody else have any ideas on what specifically I should go get?

Thanks for the help so far by the way guys!

15. computer fans are only good for computers..
    any other fan would do much better with your ambient temps..ur problem is clearly not enough circulation... put a good fan blowing out of the box, make sure the ins are big enough and she will cool right down...

16. i understand what my problem is i just need someone to point me to exactly what i need lol. im not knowledgeable on fans or anything is why im having trouble lol