Ok, what the hell is this Grasscity?

Discussion in 'Forum Tech Questions, Problems and Troubleshooting' started by Bootfullofbuds, Jan 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    i'm doing lady gaga in the bathroom tonight at 9..

2. Oh well.

3. #23 Superjoint, Jan 25, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2014
    Please read again, carefully this time, all your questions, answered, also read the part in the attachment.....

2014-01-25_14-04-46.jpg

4. Chatroulette please!!

5. My individual right to privacy, secrecy, and the security of what I say, do, and who I associate with online or in person is a huge deal to me. Not giving a shit is why we have gotten to this point. Too many people who are aware that they are getting raped, who fully comprehend the fact that they could be doing something or at least adapting, but they just shrug it off instead. Even after Snowden leaked all of this information, fucking imbeciles are still complaining about the manner in which he exposed the fact that their own country is raping them, and some even view him as the most damnable traitor ever...while being absolutely head over hills about Reagan and Bush.

6. I agree, but I also know that it is abad bad world out there, and that if I leave the house I lock the door.

Nobody is  tracking here on grasscity anyway else that any other website you visit is tracking, nor do  we know who you are, or where you live , other than the information you have given us when signing up and based on the posts you made, as an open forum that is open for the rest of the world to see, if someone is sloppy regarding his privacy, don't blame us or any other website for it, that's all I'm saying.....

SJ

yeah, i understand what's happening, and have no real quam with it.

but i just feel abit funny with this whole data collection and smart advertising, even though it doesnt affect me in any way.

i think people just dont like the idea of it, even though it happens everywhere on the internet, it just feels abit dodgey in the sense of privacy, even though people post all their info on facebook etc.

8. #28 -Martyr, Jan 25, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2014
    Agreed. I wasn't trying to imply that GC is some kind of NSA spy or anything like that. Anyone who has made it this far on the internet onto a counterculture website who doesn't already use something like Ghostery, a VPN, proxies, Tor, etc, are already too negligent to complain, and I do use all of these things because I too am aware of the world we live in today. It just blows my mind that certain individuals don't get why this thread got a lot of attention so fast, which is because a lot of people do care about their individual liberties, even if most have given up the fight before even getting in it.

9. I agree, it is amazing that people think Julian Assange and Edward Snowden are the worst kind of traitor.

However it's just that I know I can't do anything to change it. The only thing I could do is spend hundreds or thousands of dollars to get a computer setup where nothing is traceable. I agree with you, that I should have 100% anonymity on the internet, but unfortunately don't. And don't worry, I hate Reagan and Bush.

10. #30 -Martyr, Jan 25, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2014
    There is plenty that you can do, and for less than what you probably spend on weed or other everyday amenities as well. The Open Source community is huge, and there are many free software programs, add-ons for your browsers (llllllllll displayed one of my favorites which is Ghostery), android programs, there's encryption, there's proxies, vpn/vps, Tor, etc. There are no excuses not to take the necessary time to figure out these things, because to do so is to condemn yourself on no other count than either apathy or individual laziness, and I don't say this to you- just as a general belief on my end. We live in the digital age, and that's all well and good when it means the new consoles come out, and new computer parts drop, etc, but we have to remember that the backlash is that our government gets juiced up as well. In a totalitarian state, that means that in order to retain the liberties we had in previous decades that have been stripped from us, we have to learn to adapt and be receptive of that burden, obligation, and moral obligation if you are one for ethics (I am). There is no one else, except us. And if we refuse or shrug it off, don't both having kids. Don't force them to live in a world devoid of light because you didn't want to fight. Again that's not aimed at you it's just said in general sense.

I admire those dudes courage and what they did was a great help to humanity but we didn't succeed on taking advantage of it. I hope one day we will be able to tell fuck off to all governments who try to dictate/follow every detail of our lives.

Dudes relax , we also value our own privacy. But more of that we value our users privacy way more then any of you can imagine.

Let me try to clear couple things for you :

1. Grasscity don't store/track any stat according to users info. All stored information is anonymous .
    2. There are tons of way to make sure no one can block anything , however we don't do that. What we do is allow all our users to block any script they don't want to see through scripts like adblock etc..
    3. SJ mentioned stats allow us for better advertising , but we 99% use stats to analyse how we can improve Grasscity. 
    4. Google Analytics and Quantcast is used nearly 99.9% of all websites
    5. We protect our servers extremely , we can't guarantee that they are not hackable but we are doing our best to prevent that and we never had any issue in past.
    6. Your data is protected by European Data Protection laws . 

Most importantly we never hide anything from our users. We answer every question and what we do our clearly highlighted within our EULA. 

12. #32 Bootfullofbuds, Jan 26, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2014
    Superjoint, appreciate the explanation my brother. I could literally care less about anything you said after the first paragraph. You left some loose ends though, the part about it tracking our location? It's illegal to grow weed where I am. And I'd rather not get caught just because the website I sometimes rely on for advice and information about said subjects wants to track my location for some ads?? Not cool man. I understand I didn't read the damn privacy policy, really?? Who reads that? I guess if I would have read it I wouldn't have joined this forum in the first place. But I love it here and I will continue to be an active member but geeeeez quit actin all politician on us. We all love it here or we wouldn't be here we'd be on the countless other websites just like this one. CANNABIS ISNT LEGAL EVERYWHERE YET and we would like not to spend our time in jail because a certain website we go to to talk about things like this gets our location, my bad, hires a company called Quantcast to datapool it's users information just for some freakin sidebar advertisements. Just for the record I always use a proxy on my pc. But when I found this .plist TUCKED AWAY INSIDE THE GC FORUMS APP FOR IPHONE, I wanted some answers. I'm sorry what Quantcast or your app developers wrote in the .plist said what it said, but I'd honestly rather believe a hardcoded piece of software than a dickhead forum mod coming in and insulting everyone who is legitimately freaked out by this. I don't care if you sent every post I've ever made to the FBI, NSA, fuckin Bigfoot dude. I just don't want someone having access to information about where we all live and I'm sure I'm not the only one that feels this way. Peace, done with this thread.

We both explained that but let me rephrase. You are not tracked as an individual. Which means no one can identify you from statistics as everything on stats are kept anonymous. 
    Where i live it is not only illegal to grow , MJ is completely illegal and i am a pretty good smoker :)

14. #34 Bootfullofbuds, Jan 26, 2014
    [quote name="Lizard King" post="19409021" timestamp="1390738329"]We both explained that but let me rephrase. You are not tracked as an individual. Which means no one can identify you from statistics as everything on stats are kept anonymous. Where i live it is not only illegal to grow , MJ is completely illegal and i am a pretty good smoker :)[/quote] I understood all of that. What's not anonymous is the name of a city, or in my case, a small town. A very small town. A blip on the map of a state where the laws are so harsh they would crucify me if they caught me. Look, I know what I do is my own fault, that's not why I'm here asking these questions. But i'd rather get caught with my hand in the cookie jar than some dumbass way like through a forum that I joined to ask questions. This is where my concern is, I very well could be the only person in my town maybe even county that is a member here. I just see in my mind a map of the US with little lights for where GC members live and here I am in the middle of nowhere, light just shinin, and somebody's wondering who I am. I'm not usually paranoid by nature but I trusted this place then I found that, can you see my frustration?Since you seem to know what all this is, could you tell me what device information it collects? I would really love to know.I mean honestly man, be straight with me, do you know what Quantcast does with all this info after they are through with it? How do we know it's anonymous? You have motives for defending the sanctity of GC for the sake of the forum but do you have any proof that the information that's collected is really anonymous? Again, I would really like to know what device information is collected. Thanks for your time.

15. #35 Lizard King, Jan 26, 2014
    Dude , what you don't get is , no one can identify where you live, who you are etc.. from any of the stored statistics.

16. Dude it clearly says that they collect your city

And it also clearly states that no user information is stored so there is absolutely no way to identify anything from that.

18. Look man, I'm not tryin to argue with you. You know what you know and so do I. Nothing is really anonymous. There's always a digital paper trail somehow. This all reminds me of carrier IQ in recent years. Just for the record your buddy and you are conflicting. Superjoint said that it's stored but "anonymously". And you still didn't answer my question about what device information is collected? It's that kind of vague double talk that has got us where we are today (ahem... Patriot act?) device information could be a multitude of things, and personally identifiable is by definition completely different than device identifiable.

19. ^^

they don't have a patriot act in The Netherlands where the server is located.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.