Oil Rig Torch Lighter Question

Discussion in 'Concentrate Tools' started by BlazePurrp420, May 8, 2014.

1. I have just purchased a rig for my piece and now am looking for a sufficient lighter to heat up a titanium/glass nail. A little limited on cash and just need something for the time being, and I know a normal bic lighter won't heat it up.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005TOOI5A/ref=gno_cart_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1N1S5BWX3SZZJ#productDetails

This is the lighter I found, sounds like it's good quality for the price. My question is, will this be enough to heat up a glass or titanium nail? Thanks!

2. Go to walmart, sears, lowes, Home Depot or any construction store and buy a propane torch for $10. It will get the job done better than these lighters. And if you have $30 the bed bath and beyond torch is amazing and best one for the price hands down

Trim Nazi

3. I can't find a torch for that cheap anywhere. I don't need it for longterm use so it doesn't have to be top brand. I just wanna know if that will be enough to heat up a glass or titanium nail?

4. ok let me tell u this upfront. all the torches in ur price range are gonna have a small flame nd prolly have to heat the nail for a minute till its hot enough. after i got arrested i bouhgt a 503 pen torch for $6. most reliable little torch ever. i would recomend that. i kno these other torches are shit. and if you have 20-30 get any one of the 3 BBB torches there all the best for the price. but this 503 torch still works after 1 year nd a half. nd best of all unlike these other cheap ass torches it self ignite and the flame and the gas and teh spark are different buttons. so you dont have to hold anything down you can leave the torch down and come back one tis heated. thats a big plus. for the price all u can ask for is shit but this torch is accually really reliable. 
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B007A9YSPW/ref=sr_1_1_olp?ie=UTF8&qid=1399590459&sr=8-1&keywords=503+torch&condition=new

5. Buy a real man's propane torch at Ace Hardware for $30.00. Heat up your nail with that and when you're done, you don't have something lying around that makes you look like a crackhead. You just have a regular torch that works better than any of that shit^^^^. Trust me.

6. Don't use a propane torch wtf aren't you one of those guys who're so concerned about unpurged bho? But you're oxidizing your nail..?

7. dont get propane torch burning propane releases carbon monoxide.... you can buy a newport hand torch for like 25-30 dollars at your local head shop or i got an adapter by newport for 30 usd that you just screw a torch head to  the butane can and it makes a full torch

8. The oxidizing happens from the high temps that the propane torch can produce. If you are not running the torch full blast and not heating the nail beyond what's necessary I don't see the problem with propane. And for the record I use a butane bbb torch

Trim Nazi

So this will heat up my nail? I'll just have to light it a while longer than a regular torch light?

10. Yes it will EVENTUALLY heat up your nail.  Efficiently?  Not even close, but yes it will work.  However I must, like everyone else, recommend you just grab a real torch.  In the long run the money you spend on that lighter will be a waste.  Trust me if you buy it you will upgrade so put the money towards a descent one to begin with.  Just my $.02.

11. #12 dabKling, May 9, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2014
    bic ftw

12. yes it will heat it %100. i was heating my thick 18mm head with it and it worked fine just again will take about a minute compared to 10-15secs with a good torch. but you can just put the torch down and get your dab ready or watever. all those torches u posted i wudnt rely on to heat my nail not only that the flame is prolly about the same size and the pencil torch i linked but ud have to hold the buttin down for a minute whichll get old verryyy quick. after you get that torch you can save up 25 for a BBB torch and ull be set. oh the 503 torch cud be used like a lighter to. for $6 its the best torch ull get theres no other cheap torch that accually works fine. 

13. OMG…Here we go again!

;)

First of all, a propane torch will heat the nail as hot as you want to heat it

A propane torch produces a flame that may be hotter than what a butane torch produces. So what? You don't hold the nail in the flame until it's white-hot regardless of the heat source! All that bullshit about oxidizing the titanium is ridiculous. I mean, yes, titanium WILL oxidize when it's heated and cooled. It builds up a "crust" of titanium oxide. But it doesn't make any difference whether or not the flame is produced from propane, butane, map gas, kryptonite….whatever…makes no difference. Titanium oxidizes when it's heated and cooled -period.

AAAANNNND…...Propane is much cleaner than butane, btw. 

OP, unless you want to look like a crackhead or a high school kid, then get a propane torch with an igniter switch and you're set. Plus the large-size canister lasts a looooonnnnng time!

Let me put it ilke this just to clarify….If you cook something over a flame and you don't want it to burn, then you hold it further away from the flame…or you hold it in the cooler part of the flame….or for for less time or all of the aforementioned...etc.  When it comes to heating a titanium nail….What difference is there between holding the nail in the propane flame or holding it in a butane flame if you're just trying to heat up the nail to a certain color? It makes absolutely no difference at all. You heat the nail to a certain color and that color is indicative of the proper temperature. It makes no difference what the fuel source of that flame is.

• Like Like x 2
  14. #15 tstick, May 9, 2014
    And just FYI…. Here's what the FACT is about the temperature of butane vs propane:

3519f is about how butane burns. 3695f is about where propane burns (aka ignites). -a whopping 176 degree difference!!

• Like Like x 1
  15. This is what you want:

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  16. I had this when I first stArted smoking oil and it works like a charm

Trim Nazi

17. #18 YoShytsWeak, May 9, 2014
    This is wrong bro, butane can only burn at a temp of 2695f tops and that is dependent of oxygen.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app

18. Just go on Ebay\\amazon and search for "micro torch". Then just find one you like. I have the http://www.ebay.com/itm/RoadPro-MIGHTY-MICRO-TORCH-Portable-Refillable-Butane-Burner-RPMCRT-NEW/191160300653?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222003%26algo%3DSIC.FIT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D22405%26meid%3D6781429293096101388%26pid%3D100005%26prg%3D8888%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D181318796993&rt=nc best torch I have had (been through a few cheap ones) I have used it everyday for over a year and not a single problem.

19. Well, that information was found on a quick search of the internet, so I can't verify it's validity right now. (I'll check more later)….BUT!….regardless of all that…..

…It makes ZERO difference in terms of heating a nail for doing dabs. The nail, itself, will not heat up to the max temperature either type of  torch can go. I don't need to explain that no one holds a nail in the flame until it starts to almost melt…! The point is to heat up a nail for doing dabs. Either type of torch will accomplish this….and loooooonnnnnng before the nail reaches the temperature of the flame, itself.