Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Oil in a Bong

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by TheOnlyWombat, Jan 30, 2013.

1. I know that people have asked about oil in a bong before, but I couldn't find anything that answered my question definitively.

So!
    Let's say instead of water I put canola/peanut/coconut/whatever oil into the basin of my bong. For safety reasons, preferably one with a higher smoke point.
    The oil would filter out much of the THC, clearly, since THC is fat soluble.

What I'm wondering is, could you do this, have a fat sesh with lots of people and one bong, then simply filter the oil through a strainer or coffee filter and use it as cannaoil?
    It may taste rank, but if the tar (or most of it anyway) could be filtered out, I don't see why it wouldn't work.

If nobody has experience with it I'll try it out myself and report the results.

For the record, this is just for knowledge, it'd be a waste to practice this on a constant basis.

2. #2 BadKittySmiles, Jan 30, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2013

Hi there, just a few things :)

To begin, it doesn't matter much whether or not you choose an oil with a high smoke point (either the autoignition or the flash points would probably be the more appropriate concern, although as they rise, so usually will the smoke point), either way, if you touch an actual flame to a dribble of oil, and if that trail leads into the bong, you may be in for a small, fiery explosion. Even if the outer flames don't manage to catch the inside on fire, right away, it may be enough to startle you into knocking over the bong, allowing the fire to breathe and spread with ease.
    While most cooking oil is not considered 'flammable' by definition, due to the fact that by definition something must have a flashpoint below 100 F in order to be considered flammable, it is however a class III combustible, and grease fires absolutely do exist... just enough contact with a flame can be enough to cause vapors, which ignite, heating the surrounding oil, causing a worsening chain reaction. It would not be that dissimilar to a dribble of oil escaping the frying pot, entering the flame or touching a burner, and quickly causing a large grease fire.

Secondly, oil doesn't extract and hold onto glandular material as rapidly as a bong hit occurs, even if that glandular material is in vapor form. Even when the oil itself is quite warm, which increases its extraction speed, it take several minutes for that material to really begin leaching out.

Still, you'd almost certainly get more retention during the same time period than you would with water, but in that short time, not by very much, and besides ruining the taste due to the way lipids react with tar/soot and the taste buds, it would also be at the cost of (thirdly) inhaling minute particles of oil from your bong, which is known to cause lipoid/lipid pneumonia, permanent scarring, irregular cell growth, and eventually sometimes even tumors and cancer if the damaged area, for whatever reason, repeatedly attempts to create tissue, upon scar tissue, upon scar tissue, which is more often the case with lung damage than most other forms of tissue damage.

And lastly, this would be tantamount to making canna oil, with your bong resin, which (as much as it pains me to suggest) would be much easier, healthier and more effective than smoking directly through oil. :p

So if that's what you're aiming for, you may as well just wait until your pipes are dirty, then give them a cleaning with oil rather than alcohol, or alternately you could transfer your resin/tar-dirtied alcohol to oil, then evaporate...

Some people do make capsules with their pipe reclaim, but I only use a similar recipe/method for vapor reclaim, myself. :)

3. /end thread

4. Thanks for the very informative response :)
    Like I said, I was only after the knowledge, so in light of your stated dangers of inhaling oil I'm glad I didn't end up testing it out to find out.