Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Oil and Syrup

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by Tokintb12, Jul 26, 2022.

1. #1 Tokintb12, Jul 26, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2024
    Fight bigotry and misinformation

I am editing the thread so you can skip over a lot of outdated and needless information
    It was a diary of sorts for the infusing of foods
    Some good info but methods and ingredients changed dramatically along the way
    Going to focus more on the medical side
    Low THC, CBDV and CBG cultivars
    People with mental health issues have asked for less THC to avoid anxiety
    Some promising results from cultivars like thunder struck and pine walker

Working with seriously ill and compromised people
    Working in the current environment of this site is impossible
    Cannot send people to the site for a number of reasons
    Someone in a stage 4 cancer fight should not encounter overtly racist remarks on any site that sells itself as a community

Not much moderation of the teenagers on the site so go through the thread and get out!!!!!
    Stop in at the top to read the pinned threads
    You will Grass City in its glory, absolute gold

In closing just a reminder that anyone can do this
    I'm an idiot and make great edibles
    Someone with talent could clean up!

RIP PSYCHEDELIC SAM
    The syrup is a hit everywhere I introduce it

I'm gonna get ripped pretty bad by someone who put up a post to drink isopropyl alcohol
    It went off the rails so take things with a grain of salt
    Ten year olds run the place now

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. What did you use for your infusion (THC input wise)?

• Like Like x 1
  3. So what flavorful delights are you planning this time? I really wish I had the manual abilities to do that but I enjoy experiencing it vicariously through your projects. :sneaky:

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. #4 Tokintb12, Jul 27, 2022

• Like Like x 3
    • Creative Creative x 1
  5. #5 Tokintb12, Jul 27, 2022

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. That's one of my favorite strains. Gives such a creative and energetic high.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. #7 Tokintb12, Jul 27, 2022

• Like Like x 3
  8. That is definitely one of the bigger challenges when it comes to making medicine for oral consumption. Most of the processes used to make those infusions get rid of the terpenes that make it strain specific.

IMO solventless methods are the best way to do the plant extraction while maintaining those features, then it just comes down to techniques to retain them throughout the decarb/infusion process.

Have you ever played around with supplementing with food grade terpenes? I wouldn't recommend it for extracts that will be used via combustion, but for edibles they can be a game changer (especially when people don't have high quality starting material to work with).

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. #9 Tokintb12, Jul 28, 2022

• Like Like x 3
  10. Definitely. Added terpenes are a balancing act as you said because they can definitely effect the taste.

When it comes to syringes, just be aware that if you are storing something with terpenes, you won't want to keep them in plastic syringes (since they will leach the plastic).

If you use a method like pressing into Rosin, you won't need to do any reduction step (or have the flavor changed by the solvent used, which I'm guessing is high proof alcohol). You can just add as much or as little oil (fat) and lecithin as you want for potency. Great way to not only save time, but also maintain more of the compounds you want.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. #11 Tokintb12, Jul 28, 2022

• Like Like x 3
  12. Awesome to hear how conscious you are when it comes to plastic. What method do you use for extraction?

13. #13 Tokintb12, Jul 28, 2022

• Like Like x 2
  14. #14 Tokintb12, Jul 28, 2022

• Like Like x 1
  15. Have you ever tried cheesecloth with a potato ricer? It's pretty handy for filtering/squeezing as much as you can out of the plant material.

• Like Like x 1
  16. #16 Tokintb12, Jul 28, 2022

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. Nice! Looks like you've already got some solid methods figured out. I rarely infuse from flower anymore (unless it's rosin chips) and instead mainly use Rosin. So much easier to work with, less filtering needed (if you use bags for pressing you don't really need any) which results in much less on the loss front. Also, one fun side of using the chips is that they are more compact, so there's less debris/plant material to worry about getting in the final product.

If you can get your hands on some to work with, I think you'll enjoy it (and probably want to buy a personal rosin press for yourself). It's awesome to be able to quickly make solventless extracts ready to dab and that are enjoyable to work with for other infused items.

18. #18 Tokintb12, Jul 28, 2022

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Love it and agree with everything you said. More people knowing how to make quality medicine the better.

Industrial Cannabis treats the plant as a commodity and the end products show that (especially with how many plants are grown terribly and just end up as distillate).

Those that are afraid of people being empowered in their own wellness (and cutting into their bottom line) probably don't have that much to offer and are just artificially being propped up by the residual effects of prohibition (artificial scarcity).

If you continue to learn and improve your skills, there's always people that won't want to grow their own/make their own medicine, so only the people I mentioned above are at risk of being pushed out (which is a good thing).

20. I'm in my first steps
    I don't grow and consider that knowledge the base of any cannabis knowledge
    Growing is a must to develop understanding
    The knowledge you gain along with experience would fast forward my edibles by an incalculable amount
    Very frustrating but not worth the risk or my medical card
    So I run alongside and do what I can

• Like Like x 3