ohio on its way to leglize mj

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by skit27, Jan 31, 2012.

1. [​IMG]
    OMCA2012 Approved for Statewide Signature Gathering!

We did it! Our campaign to pass the Ohio Medical Cannabis Amendment of 2012 has been given the go-ahead by Ohio Secretary of State John Husted to collect the 385,253 signatures necessary to place the measure on the ballot this fall!

The Ohio Ballot Board met on Wednesday, January 25th in the Senate Finance Hearing Room of the Ohio Statehouse in Columbus. In what seemed like less than five minutes, all four Ballot Board members unanimously certified that the OMCA2012 covers only one issue, which is their duty under law. All five members of the OMCA2012's Committee to Represent the Petitioners were present for the hearing.

By early afternoon, the Columbus Dispatch had published an article announcing the Ballot Board's approval. Help us spread the word and share the article on your social network!

Support the OMCA2012!!

Once the OMCA2012 made the news, patients and their families have been contacting us in droves! If you'd like to join the campaign, here's how:

- Join our newsletter list. www.omca2012.org/contact/newsletter By joining, you'll receive regular campaign updates, locations of upcoming events and information concerning volunteer opportunities. This does not sign you up to be a volunteer, but provides everyone with information and detailed updates from the campaign.

- Volunteer! If you wish formally signup as a volunteer please go to www.omca2012.org/contact

- Provide a patient testimonial. The OMCA2012 is about patients and we give patients and their loved ones a chance to tell their stories about their conditions, how medical marijuana has alleviated their suffering and how a lack of access has affected their lives. We welcome you to share your experience. Go to www.omca2012.org/contact and select the option stating you wish to give a testimonial. You will be contacted shortly with submission guidelines and instructions.

- Donate! Donations large and small are vital to ensuring the OMCA2012 reached the ballot in the fall and establishes for all of us the patient protections we have longed for. Please visit www.omca2012.org/contribute and contribute what you can.

If you have any questions, concerns or wish to signup as a volunteer, please visit www.omca2012.org/contact. We look forward to hearing from you and working with you!

The OMCA2012 Team
    www.omca2012.org:hello::hello:

2. It's just a shame that it will never happen anytime soon or at all. With three groups working against each other has ended any kind of chance of collecting the 500,000 signatures needed to get 385,000 good ones. Ego's and hardhead's will forever be the downfall in Ohio and the only ones they are hurting are the people of Ohio. This effort is a to little to late.

3. @hillbilly420 negativity is not a good thing. why don't u just let people hope? I lived in ohio and know first hand how hardheaded they are....but why bring negativity to people that have hope for something good????? I honestly hope that Ohio gets this through, I hope the USA legalizes this amazing medication!

4. @smokey4200...I to am from Ohio and also have M/S. Theres a difference between hope and reality and reality sometimes sucks. The way the 3 groups have bad mouthed and down graded each other killed any hopes of everyone working together to make this a reality in Ohio. It has divided friends, groups and organizations from ever helping each other. They also go out of their way to trash talk and downgrade the creditability of each others wording just to try and stay one step ahead of each other. The groups themselves have caused the negativity and continue to do so. So I'm not bringing the negitivity to Ohio, the leaders of the 3 groups have already done that. The damage they have done can never be fixed. Again, I hope for the best, but it's never going to happen. That is reality!!

5. I was amazed that it got this far... I just choose not to say much about it. I hope you get your meds legally as you should.

Peace bro.

6. #6 hillbilly420, Feb 6, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2012
    I'm not amazed that it got this far, I am amazed that the attorny general approved the OMCA 2012's wording. It is basically legalization to anyone that wants it. You can have as much MMJ as you think you need. Everyone in Ohio is a patient and can buy, grow and sell MMJ. What more do people want??? But as you can see, it is just you and me that is talking about it. It should be running wild thru the state, but no one really cares. People are burnt out on the leaders of the three pac's have thathave lied and cryed wolf so many times. You would think NORML would be out preaching this in the streets, but nothing out of the also. Another bad part is the Big Money people have seen how it has been handled and said no money for anyone in Ohio ever. Just sucks that it ended up this way, but it did.

Another thing is you have people begging to sign this petition and all they can do is say sign up for a petion signing event. They have no clue as to the what it's going to take to collect 500,000 signatures. They need at least 5000 people or more hitting the streets everyday for the next 5 months. There is also a big event this weekend that will have close to 25,000 people. Any bets as to if they show up to it or not??

7. If there are three different petitions circulating for the same thing in Ohio, Ohio cannabis activists screwed up.

We are working on cannabis prohibition repeal here in Michigan this year. Our cannabis community isn't any different than Ohio's. We don't all get along either, but you can bet, just like in 2008, we are putting our differences aside, and working together for a common goal.

While I pray this passes in Ohio, I hope that if it doesn't, everyone there learns a lesson and comes back as a united front next time:). Good luck

8. We are in a hole but this news is positive. Reality is we just don't care. If we worked together and made a great community impact we would be on the right road.

9. Well it’s official, there is now three petitions being passed out in Ohio. One with bad wording, one with wording that’s for the sick and the other is almost 100 percent legalization. Seems like a no brainier to me. But they all say it’s about the patients while trying to screw the other groups. The only people that they are screwing is the people of Ohio!!

10. Hillbilly, why don't u think of moving to a legal state? U have MS, it seems like it would be a righteous move. U deserve your medication without being penalized. I live in Florida and am out of here.... going back to cali in less than a month.

11. I'd be right behind you but I have parents to take care of. It would just be easyer on everyone if the three groups would put their ego's aside and just get one on the ballot for Nov. They just don't understand that something to vote on is better then nothing!!

12. I agree. Unite forces. I am a lifelong resident of Ohio, and will sign any ballot and vote for the cause. I will share my voice, in hopes to someday erradicate illegalization. If it another state gets smart, and legalizes? Maybe I'll move:)

13. Biggest obstacle I see, is the misconceptions people have about mj. People still believe mj is bad for your health, people who smoke pot are "losers", and this 'gateway drug' bullshit. I want to see the population educated, and maybe the bias will slack off. I think, my kids generation will make it happen!

14. The biggest obstacle is the leaders of the three groups trying to cut the throats of the others. If it was just on group and the wording made it to the ballots, it would pass easily. No matter what the wording was. Now that there is three differnt groups, they are trying to split the people of Ohio up as well. Who cares if someone makes money off it? Just give Ohio something to vote on!!!

15. I agree with you hillbilly420, from what I can tell everyone is jocking for a power position. I am new to the state and I have to say I am really surprised that more people aren't involved in this movement or at least GOD damn demanding their right as grown consenting adults to be themselves. I smoke weed and I don't feel I need to keep it a secret like I'm a pedophile or something, and don't get me started on the job listings in this state. Every job listing that I see from picking up dog shit and on up want a drug test to apply......WTF is that about. Well I guess being stone while you're delivering newspapers at 3am could be a real problem. :hide:

I don't see any bumper stickers for the cause and the NORML chapter out here is way to quite for my liking...what the hell. I have to come on here to find people who smoke with and socialize, cause I just don't seem to run into too many people who do partake. Everyone is very very low key....kind of gives me the creeps to be honest.

Columbus, Oh.

16. I support the OMCA2012 movement

I do not support "The Ohio Altern Treatment Amen Summary" ...register what with who... are you crazy. Yeah I have to register my joint but not my firearms....OOOOOOOkay....sounds right to me.

And I don't know what the third one is yet....but I'm hot on their asses too.

17. The first one is being run by Tonya Davis. It really is going no where and the wording is what Ohio Coalition for Medical Compassion passed and then thru away because it has some mistakes in it. Tonya had a fallen out with the other groups, so she is doing this one on her own with just a few supporters. It is know as The Ohio Alternative Treatment Amendment and can be found here. Welcome to the Ohio Patient Network

The next one is run by a guy named Brian and many feel he is in with some kind of law enforcment. He wrote the wording that the Ohio Alternative Treatment Amendment is using. He knew it had problems before he turned it into the attorny general, but turned it in anyway. Then he give it to Tonya and said he wanted 3 million dollars to write another one. He must of got tired of waiting for his money because he is paning on collecting petitions for his new wording any day. Ohio CMC

The OMCA2012 does seem to be the best choice but they like to keep everyone in the dark and drag things out for ever. None of the big money people like any of them and are not giving a dime. Home | OMCA2012

18. OMCA has got a lot of reputable backers. I believe NORMAL is backing this proposal, instead of the one backed by Ohio NORMAL.

19. Couldn't have said it better myself, talentscout :D

20. Thats why a lot of people feel Brian is in with some sort of law agency! His new wording isn't out yet, but you can bet it wil say "register" in it somewhere. I hope OMCA2012 gets their shit rolling. They only have till July to collect the signatures.