Oh no ugh Germination question?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Jinx2011, Mar 18, 2015.

1. Well I woke up today hoping to get my seeds. 230 came I got the mail and after 17 days I recieved my 3 feminized dutch passion masterkush seed and 1x world of seeds strawberry blue fem and 2x afghani reg. Well around 8pm I got my paper towel got the good distilled water and wetted the paper towels. I lightly rang them out and put them in a small tupperware container and placed the seeds and folded the towel. I then read it should be damp and I think it was too wet will this mess up the seeds???

2. If you rang it out and it wasnt dripping water when you put the seeds in your good relax buddy and enjoy the ride

3. it wasnt dripping but it wasnt damp it was fully saturated but not dripping

4. Just check them in 24 hours. If they haven't germed, check them again in 12 hours. If they germ and you see the tails, pot them ASAP.

5. It sounds like they might be a bit too wet. I'd place a few dry sheet under it to soak up some of the water. I just spray mine with tap water, just moisten it slightly leaving lots of air between the fibres

6. I usually germinate in the pots and keep checking the seeds every day under the soil to watch progress. I tried paper towl once and thought it was a waste of time. That my opinion though lol.

7. I go with 24 hrs in shot glasses and then straight to soil. A lot of people wait for the tap root to pop but I generally am starting with 30 seeds if I lose a few its not the end of the world.

8. I always stick mine on a towel that's on my sky box it's a perfect little heat mat , do this when rooting cuttings aswell

9. So, what happened????

Please enlighten me... if soaking seeds in a glass of water for 24-48 hours works to germinate, then how is having a paper towel dripping make it too wet?

11. #11 GoldGrower, Mar 19, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2015

so many times I have heard beginners leaving seeds under water for 24 hours and killing them. Its completely pointless and an unnecessary risk. Seeds require a lot of air to grow. They may survive if you're lucky but risking it poses no benefits whatsoever.

Lightly dampened paper towels, folded over, in a bag, hanging up at around 25℃ will give you a seedlet of a couple of inches long in 48 hours 

12. I always soak seed for 24 hours ir until tgey sink normally 12 to 14 hourz some are stubborn ive had 100 percent germ rate

That is how I germinate seeds. I drop them in room temp tap water, and leave them for 24hrs+, until I can see the tap root pop out. I have had 100% success rate using this method.

14. 1 has started to crack after 28hrs but no taproot yet. I hope it didnt mess em up i also put a dry paper towel to absorb some of the water and is just damp now. I cant wait to see what I have tomorrow morning. Ill probably gonna start the one that is cracked tomorrow if it looks ready

15. good luck

16. #16 GoldGrower, Mar 19, 2015

And I don't soak at all and also get 100% success rate. Do you see now that soaking is meaningless?

I see loads of new growers drowned their seeds by soaking them

It's not meaningless to me. It works perfectly. I don't understand how anyone could screw it up that way. Soaking in paper towel, some people screw it up by accidentally letting it dry out. That can't happen when the seed it in a glass of water. Most seeds that don't pop a tap root in water during 36 hours are just bad seeds.

18. #18 GoldGrower, Mar 19, 2015

Not bad seeds, they are drowned seeds. I thought you said you had 100% success anyway? Soaking is meaningless because it accomplishing nothing and risks drowning. You say you don't understand how people screw it up yet state that some seeds don't "pop", and are "bad". These are the drowned seeds that I am referring to 

I have had 100% success rate because I use good seeds lol [​IMG]

I have 100% success rate even with seeds that aren't that great. Lots of oxygen is the key