oh no! i fucked up real good.

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by mcbuddin, Feb 23, 2011.

1. Yeah, avoid driving at all costs. Saw you were in Canada so I'm not sure how they handle that, but in the US if you get arrested there is no way around getting jailed.

2. but does turning yourself in still spell jail time in states?

Like there must be some form of reward for making their jobs easier.

3. Um no thats not true, before you go giving people legal advise, try to make sure its not total BS.

So I would also advise getting a lawyer, it may seem simple, but its better to waste money on a lawyer, than end up going to jail and messing up your record for life. Lawyers generally bill on an hourly basis (my dads a lawyer, charges $225 an hour, but not all hours they work are billable, so we're far from rich ( I don't quite understand how that works, but thats besides the point)). Then turn yourself in immediately, the longer you wait the more it seems your " on the run." If your honest about how you missed the court date, and the fact that you showed up for the first several dates makes me think they'll go easy on you. Especially since its your first offense and all. Keep us posted and best of luck!

4. This feels like good advice. I am very stuck on a choice I have to make though. I have two viable plans

1) Turn myself in tomorrow morning and hope even if i DO get jailed ill make it into court that same day.

2) Wait until monday to speak to one of the many lawyers I tried to contact today, then most likely turn myself in.

So the question is, whats better: Turning myself in soon, or having a lawyer?

5. Tell your "friend" to fucking own up. He made the mistake, he needs to pay for it.

6. hmm thats a tough one. You don't really need the lawyer until your going to have to go infront of a judge, and make your case. What about trying to get in touch with a Lawyer tomorrow morning, and then turn yourself in in the afternoon?

7. well you may not need to hire the lawyer but getting advice is worth buying his time

8. I'm not giving legal advise, personal experience. My dad was in the same situation, well he was actually on the run, he was arrested, stuck in jail and had a raised bail. His lawyer said outright that if he had turned himself in it would have been likely he would not have been stuck in jail. Let's see, you get arrested, how the hell would you argue your way out of being considered on the run. Again, not legal advice, coming for personal experience. Unless of course this one township has different laws than the others. I also do not know if Canada is the same way.

9. #49 mcbuddin, Feb 24, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2011
    that would be pretty nice, except I literally called all over and every lawyer "wont be in the office 'til monday"

This really all comes down to who i run into at the police station

Good cop: Oh, we are glad you came by we need to settle this promptly, please sign these forms to appear in court on *date*

Bad cop: ohh finally we found ya you dirty scum bag, your gonna rot in a jail cell for as long as i have a say in it.

Ill be honest this IS canada so im a little confident it wont play out like bad cop version ...but still im terrified!

Interesting things I want to note on this case:
    -when being originally charged i had a rather 'chill' cop, who said he was charging me for trafficking only cause of technicality (since there was baggies he had no choice..) but he will note that I disclaimed the trafficking charge. Hopefully the cop wasnt bullshiting me there

-Originally I also had to sign a form "promising" to appear in court and get my fingerprints taken. I DID do the fingerprinting and i DID go to court for the date that which i signed for (remember this would have been my 4th court appearance)

-But the form I signed had an incoorect court date, the cops actually contacted me a week later and requested i return to the station to schedule a different court date. I ended up watching the guy tear up my original promise to appear in court and I had to sign a different one. remember i did this on my own free will.

If real criminals were honest about their mistakes, then Id be believed when I say Im innocent here. The worst thing I was gonna do that night is smoke some of that weed. :smoke: lol. That being said im totally prepared and half expecting to still be charged for possession even if i DO get lucky. I can admit i was in the wrong there. But trafficking charge is complete B-motherfucking-S

10. Enjoy your felony for failing to appear... and why in the fuck would you smoke knoowing you have court dates for weed? *facepalm*

11. Chill dude..............It's going to be okay. Smoke a bowl. Wait til Monday or whatever and find a criminal lawyer to take your case. Should cost about $200 to put him on retainer. He will find out everything thats involved and file whatever motions are needed to get this taken care of. Accept that this going to cost you.......Lawyer, court cost, fines probabation fees ect. So if I were you I would hire the guy to take care of it.........and maybe get a second job..........
    peace b

12. oh man this post is tight! i was all worried that night but i read this and was so convinced i didnt even reply i just started hitting the bong.

Anyway i waited until monday to get a lawyer, turns out they are also taking monday off =/ so im waiting until tomorrow to get a lawyer. I got 500 bucks for my lawyer fund and im praying its enough or he gives me some payment plan option.

Learn from this y'all. Dont miss your fucking court date!

13. 500$ will get you maybe an hour or two with a lawyer...

14. yeah i understand that. All i need is my lawyer to convince the 'crown' to forgive the failure to appear charges by turning myself in. Which isnt that hard to get done, then secondly all im asking for is these bogus trafficking charges be lowered to a reasonable simple possesion charge. Which again the free legal aid was originally going to accomplish for me so this lawyer should have no problem doing.

I understand 500 aint alot, but its literally all i got give me hope man.

15. I wish you luck man! Sucks the situation your in :(

16. They don't do test you in court..... There is no reason not to smoke, until after you are on probation, because you can't get in trouble for things you did BEFORE you were put on probation.

Most people smoke as much as they can during the court process, because they know probation is coming and they are going to have to be sober for a while.

17. #57 mcbuddin, Mar 3, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2011
    Hello blades :hello:

So my day was wonderful, now here i am with my nightly blazed to let y'all know what happened.

Well this morning I awoke to a call from a lawyer. Which was two days later than expected, but still promptly early in the morning. A really nice guy actually he just listened to my full story over the over the phone than told me to go turn myself in and to bring 500 bucks JUST IN CASE i get jailed he doubts bail will be more then that.

Nervous as shit but with the word of a lawyer I had no choice, so i brought my full lawyer fund of 500 bucks and turned myself in.

Turns out you were all right about Canada being smooth as butter. I got a surprisingly polite pat-down then brouhgt into a room for a little while. Same guy comes back to say "yah i just gotta talk to my boss but if i have my way we're just gonna give you a new court date" I continue to wait (probably 15 minutes) he comes back explains the situation and gives me this form to sign 'promising to appear in court' (same form i originally signed before) and im on my way! Within 5 minutes this was me again ->:smoke: !

But here is the REAL kicker:

So my original 'promise to appear' form had clearly stated my charge was
    "possesion of controlled substance with intention to traffic, violation of drug act blah blah" My new form says the charge is "possesion of controlled substance"
    Im not positive this means im off the trafficking hook, but its a damn good sign!

Fuck, I never fealt so patriotic and loving of this country!

I overreacted :eek:

Did i mention I still have my 500 bucks?

Edit: Also wanna add cause its important to me. But the cop i dealt with was very nice, polite, and clearly explained everything, let alone the constant reading of my options. He even at one point said "your technically under arrest, but you can still leave if you changed your mind". My point is some cops dont deserve whats said about them all the time. Plus i was a little blazed at the time and he never said nothing. lol?

18. lesson learned here:

do
    not
    ride
    dirty

19. du du Du Du DU DU DU DUMB ASS!!!

advice my dad would give me.

20. your friend should take the hit because a, he's under 18 and therefore will receive a much more lenient sentence and b, because it's his weed.

But your own brother would sell you out if it came to jail time so who the fuck knows.