*Official post your computer*

Discussion in 'Silicon (v)Alley' started by Nathan, Jul 29, 2010.

1. #561 HateCity, Nov 18, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2016
    Thinkpad X240 running OpenBSD (-current branch) as my operating system
    13" laptop
    Intel HD4400 (OpenBSD isn't much of a gaming OS)
    160GB SSD
    8GB RAM
    1.9Ghz Core i5
    Bult-in 3 cell battery providing like 3 hours of battery life
    Hot-swappable 6-cell battery in the back that makes the battery life closer to 12 to 15 hours depending on use and stuff.

[​IMG]

I built my own desktop a few years ago (nowhere near my first build, my first was around 15 years ago) for more intensive stuff and for games (it runs Linux Mint so I can actually play games that aren't MUDs/roguelikes unlike my thinkpad) but 90% of the time I'm using this Thinkpad. I'll post of a picture and specs of the gaming rig later.

There's also a Toshiba Satellite laptop that's 10+ years old running as a testbed server on my network for whatever the hell I feel like messing with before I put it up on my actual leased server. It has a 1.4Ghz single-core celeron processor and 512MB of RAM. It runs OpenBSD.

I have an Acer Aspire One netbook running Arch Linux that I keep as a tiny, mobile mischief box. It has an extended battery and like 9 hours of battery life. I usually keep it in a bag with an Alfa 1000mW wifi dongle and three antennas, a 5dBi omni directional, a 7dBi panel (directional), and a 9dBi omni. So, wifi networks beware.

There's also an old Dell desktop sitting in a corner with a 1.5GHz celeron processor running Arch Linux and 4GB of ram. Its sole purpose in life is to keep these two 2TB hard drives in a RAID1 config (mirror) and stream whatever movies and music I'm storing on it to whatever TV I'm watching or computer I'm using at the time. It's also a ghetto-seedbox and starts up an OpenVPN connection on boot as well as the torrent client Transmission. The web control panel is open to my internal network so I can add stuff to download as I please from wherever.

[​IMG]

2. 8ee236.jpg
    At least it runs like this sometimes

• Like Like x 2
  3. alienware.jpg Alienware 14. NVIDIA® GeForce® 700M. 8GB of ram, if I remember correctly. This thing is my baby and what I'm using right now. I don't usually play games, so It's just a computer for browsing forums and other websites. I love how I can change the colors of my backlights. The power button, front rim, trackpad, Alienware text, and the back of the computer are customized when it comes to color, meaning you can change it to any color you'd like. I prefer my computer with red keyboard, light blue trackpad, turqoise hood, orange rims, and yellow alien power button. Or if I'm really feeling kinky, I like everything red.

4. This is my 12 year old baby .. on life support.. currently in the process of encoding videos and mass-seeding movie torrents. Has external keyboard attached.. and I'm using a second hand LCD TV as a monitor.

DSCF8044.JPG

2.0GHz dual core.
    4gb RAM
    250GB HDD
    265MB Nvidia legacy graphics.

It originally cost $3000USD when the owner bought it in hong kong. I got it for $200 second hand.

It's gonna be a sad day when she finally gives up. HP makes some fucking good computers. DELL and Lenovo laptops are the ones I've historically had the most problems with. I once had a $1500 Lenovo gaming laptop that my grandma gave me for my birthday. It died as soon as 2-3 droplets of water found its way into the keyboard, and eventually .. the DC jack. Absolute rubbish.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor

Motherboard: MSI H110M PRO-D Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard

Memory: GeIL EVO POTENZA 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory

Storage: Crucial MX300 275GB 2.5" Solid State Drive

Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB SC GAMING Video Card

Case: Corsair Carbide Series 88R MicroATX Mid Tower Case

Power Supply: Corsair CXM 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply

6. this was my PC before I parted it out

Case- Antec 900

PSU- Corsair CX600

CPU- AMD FX-6300

Mobo- ASRock 970M Pro3 m-atx

RAM- 4GB some G.Skill model, probably Ripjaws

GPU- Sapphire Radeon 7950

SSD- Crucial M4 128GB

HDD- Western Digital Blue 500GB

7. I've never seen a CPU fan facing either the top or bottom of the case

How does that affect air flow? Not gonna lie, I don't really see how it could be a positive thing

There is a pic of one on the previous page but I can't quote it for some reason

8. CPU: intel i7 6700k 4.0ghz
    Mobo: Asus Maximus hero Vlll atx
    GPU: gigabyte GeForce gtx 1070
    Ram: 16gb. 2, 8gb corsair vengeance
    Psu: evga 750w gold
    SSD: crucial 500gb
    HDD: 2, 1tb western digital blue in RAID 0
    Case: cooler master storm Stryker full tower

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

9. I had one that looked exactly the same, but without the fans. I really like how you threw the fans in there - something I should've did because the heatsink fan was a piece of shit anyway.

OP; I'm running a custom build so bear with me.

[​IMG]
    CoolerMaster HAF 922 - this case is beautiful and keeps my PC at almost freezing temperatures (no joke). HAF stands for High Air Flow, which was the main design factor in this case.

[​IMG]
    ASRock FX990 Extreme3 - Really great motherboard that performs its job well.

[​IMG]
    AMD FX-4300 - a beautiful CPU that runs anything I need it to run without effort.

[​IMG]
    ASUS R7 250 (AMD) - Isn't the most impressive GPU in the world, but definitely a good one and does a great job at running any games I need it to run at high framerate/max settings.

[​IMG]
    Corsair CX500M - Great PSU with plenty of headroom for upgrades to the main components. No problems in over 6 months and I'm happy it hasn't blown up. Also love how it's semi-modular meaning no unnecessary wires everywhere.

It also has four hard drives and some cheap 4GB RAM that I'm looking to upgrade.

10. So I'm going to post a picture here in a bit, but my work gave away some free laptops, monitors, copy machines/toner, etc and I got 2 laptops and am curious how old they are. Until I get the picture, I know it is says Centrino and windows vista (maby it said II i can't remember.)

11. Hmmmm... everyone around here seems to be on pc. I have a 15'' MacBook Pro with:
    -2.6GHz Intel i7
    -16gb RAM
    -250gb SSD

12. HP Elitebook 14" Screen, solid state hard drive, fast as hell, small, durable- dropped and smacked it countless times
    I travel a lot and rely on it, so perfect for being mobile.

What's funny is it has the swipe bar and buttons above the keyboard for years and now that Mac is putting it on their laptops, they are saying, "look at this amazing new feature." Maybe new for macs but not HP!

13. CPU: Intel i5 4690 3.5ghz Quad Core
    Heatsink: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
    Mobo: ASRock Fatal1ty H97
    GPU: GeForce GTX 760 2GB 256-Bit GDDR5
    Ram: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3
    Psu: Antec TruePower Quattro 1000W
    SSD: Samsung Evo 850 500gb
    HDD: Two, 1tb Western Digital Black
    External HDD: USB 3.0, Western Digital 3tb, 1tb, and 500gb
    Case: Antec P180
    DVD-drive: Standard LG DVD burner

Other:
    Tablet: Wacom Intuos3 6x11 drawing tablet.
    Speakers: Logitech Z-5500 505watt 5.1 surround sound system (rare to find now)
    Headphones: Ludacris SOUL sound canceling headphones.
    Microphone: Blue Yeti USB microphone
    5 total case fans.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Operating System
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1

CPU
    Intel Core i5 6500 @ 3.20GHz

RAM
    8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3

Motherboard
    ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. B150-PRO D3 (LGA1151)

Graphics
    2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti
    1023MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 440

Storage
    931GB TOSHIBA SSD

I plan on upgrading very soon :love-m3j:

15. HP ProBook 450 G3
    2.60 gigahertz Intel Core i7-6500U
    16282 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory
    SanDisk SD8SN8U-256G-1006 (256.06 GB) -- drive 1
    Windows 7 Professional (x64)

16. #578 Tbone Shuffle, Nov 25, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
    I'll play since I just rebuilt my machine yesterday with some old ebay'd junk and hand me downs from friends. I'm an old overclocker. I've been doing it since the pIII days. The core2duo 45nm wolfdale core processors were the most incredible cpus to ever happen to overclocking.

When they came out I bought the low end one I could afford. It was an e7200. Stock speed was like 2.5ghz. I got that thing to hit 3.8 with a 400fsb instead of 266. That's a 1.3ghz overclock along with a fsb boost. It's over a 50% performance boost. They just didn't sell cpu's you could buy and turn up 50% faster ever.

I got my hands on an e8600 a while ago and was looking forward to seeing what it could do in my old system. I finally put it in yesterday. It hit 4.1ghz with ease.

CPU: intel e8600 core2duo @ 4.1ghz. 410fsb x 10 multiplier
    Cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 evo
    RAM: 2 x supertalent ddr800 2gig chips, 2 x Gskill ddr800 4 gig chips, 6 gigs total @ 4-4-4-12 latency, 820mhz fsb 1:1
    MB: Asus P5Qpro
    Video: ATI HD4870 512meg
    Sound: Creative Xfi platinum
    HD: 1tb WD blue 64meg cache
    optical: LG blue ray burner
    PSU: Corsair TX650
    BOX: Giant aluminum full tower from Chieftec circa 2003. Still kicking after it's 5-6 rebuild.

For a machine that is basically 7 years old this thing screams. It got 7.1 - 7.5 in the windows 7 performance tests on a scale from 1-7.9 excluding the hard drive which got a 5.9 only because I have no SSD. There no way that hardware this old should be working this good.

Computers are not advancing at all like they used to. 48,000+ on 3dmark2001se... =)

17. My desk complete with server UPS, a Dell PowerEdge 1950 III acting as a dedicated firewall running Untangle (and a DD-WRT wireless router on the wall), and a modest AMD Phenom2 X4 955 quad core with 8 gigs of Corsair DDR2 RAM, an Nvidia 960 GTX and two 500gb SSDs striped together in RAID-0 (Yes that's an animated The Matrix wallpaper lol). The laptop is a touchscreen HP Elitebook 2760p running a triple boot of Windows 7, Linux Mint and KALI Linux that I use for field work and penetration testing.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  18. I have those same dell monitors. The ones with 125% color gamut. I bought them for photography purposes. But compared to my other screen way more vivid. Mine is old it has some lines in it when it's cold, but after 5 minutes it goes away