*** Official Grateful Dead Appreciation thread***

Discussion in 'Music genres, Bands and Artists' started by Ryuall420, Sep 24, 2009.

1. heu

hey august, yes that was a sad year.  ive been good and bad but living life with my peeps.  havent been on the forum too much because of all the shit that is posted.  i am growing but not posting. i m smoking but not posting. this site is cool and all but i cant be online all the time.  i got things to do.  i come on once in a while if i got some AAA flowers or oil.  otherwise i just randomly comment.  thanks bro...peace and love

2. https://www.relix.com/blogs/detail/watch_official_trailer_for_the_other_one_the_long_strange_trip_of_bob_weir

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfNewpF-j1E

3. the other one was great. hell of a summer! hope a little touch of trey didn't bother yas [​IMG]

4. Fucking stoked to have found this thread. Never knew it existed, and over the last year or so I've gotten super into GD. Can't wait to read through it.

Loved the Rolling Stone issue on them that was out this summer. Hope to have it for life. Had so many amazing interviews and pictures that I hadn't seen elsewhere.

5. I think my favorite thing about them is that after listening to them intensely for about a year, I continue to find new versions and recordings that I liked more than previous ones. This has a couple of them.

Also, the diversity in their arrangements of songs. I remember reading in an interview that Jerry said he never played a song the same way twice, even when writing it or practicing alone. As someone who loves live music for that very reason, the immensity of their recordings, along with their roots, are incredibly appealing to me.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Happy to see this thread!! Listening to 21/August/1972 right now! Great Black Throated Wind ;)

7. They have a special Grateful Dead Rolling Stone edition too! I think it came out like last summer? I'm sure it's easy to find online :)

8. That's what I was talking about. I bought it like a week after it came out. Didn't even know about it, and saw it in the airport. Made both flights more enjoyable. It's so good, I've already read it several times.

That was the first I had heard of Mother McCree's Uptown Jug Champions. Pretty sure there's only the one album, but it's really good. Been getting more into the earlier stuff lately. Love the bluesy vibe they had with Pigpen.

9. Oh okay sorry! There was a collectors edition and there there was a regular issue that came out this summer with them on the cover..obviously both awesome and refreshing to see from RS. Yes! You can really hear their individual roots in the early stuff (not that they ever truly lost that) Jerry is a bluegrass lover at heart and you're totally right, Pigpen was a blues soul through and through <3

10. Oops, didn't even know there was a different one. Just checked mine and it says special collectors edition [​IMG] It was fascinating. And yeah, you're right, the other one looks like it was just a regular issue, with a story about GD. Taught me so much about them. They definitely didn't lose them, but I love how they kept evolving. Definitely have become my favorite band. I love how they re did so many different songs from different genres. Just wish I was alive to go along for the ride.

Going to talk to a guy in my class more that recently told me he went to almost 400 shows. Should have some interesting stories.

11. ooooohhh yyyyeeeaaaaa

• Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Thank you! I enjoyed that

deadhead (~):}

13. I just wanted to say; I saw dead and company in Bristow VA the other day, and it was one of the best experiences in my life. The people there were friendly, everyone was smoking weed no one bothered no one about it, I saw a dad pack a bowl for his whole family and passed it around at their seats, and the music was amazing. They did my favorite, terrapin station. I'm already putting aside money for next years tour in the hopes that they have one.

That aside though, what other artists or bands have you seen that are a similar experience? I've heard that dark star orchestra is a similar experience. And in you guys opinion, do you think they'll be doing a 2017 tour?

[​IMG]

This was the set list.

14. Hope posting some JGB here is alright.....