*Official* Ask a personal trainer anything !

Discussion in 'Fitness, Health & Nutrition' started by RubberUndies, May 31, 2012.

1. #1 RubberUndies, May 31, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2012
    Quick note - i will not ever ditch this thread and if you ask a question you WILL get an answer.

About me:

So ever since i was 14 years old weighing in at 120 pounds i have been fascinated with bodybuilding and diets and that sort of thing.

At 15 i started researching and using bodybuilding.com forums daily and had 20,000+ posts and mod repped account. I learned everything i possibly could about weight gain/loss, diet structure, and anything workout related.

I am now 19 ,and 200 pounds! (that's an 80 pound gain) and have my personal trainers certificate. I have also worked in a gym for 2 years.

I love spending time on the bodybuilding forums and just answering everyones questions, and from what i have seen question and answer wise, this section really needs some guidance ! :)

SO for all your nutrition/diet/workout/weightloss or gain questions put them here and i shall do my best to help out !

2. Is it true that for abs to be visible you gotta be around 12% body fat?

3. I'm a personal trainer and love it! :hello:

What diet do you follow? I pretty much eat lean proteins (eggs, non fat milk, lean red meat, chicken, raw fish when I can afford it), HELLLAAA raw veggies sometimes slightly cooked, fruit, almonds, and whole grains (oatmeal, brown rice, whole wheat pasta and bread)
    I'm 6'2 220 down from 245 (I played tight end in college so I needed the weight)
    I do CROSSFIT 2x a week, strength 2x a week, a cardio day and a plyometric day with1 rest day. My goal right now is to stay strong but lean out probably another 5lb and stay 215-220

What's your view on supplements? I'm not totally against them but my protein shake = glass of milk. I like sticking to all natural foods instead of powders n such.

4. [quote name='"Tokeforbroke"']Is it true that for abs to be visible you gotta be around 12% body fat?[/quote]

That's a total rough estimate.... Different people store fat in different places, so it has so many factors to play in. You do need low bf% though which usually falls around under 15%. Also don't fall for the myth of doing abs everyday. They are the same as all other muscles. Do weighted ab exercises 1-2 times a week to build and define them so when Your low bf they are ready.

5. What's your view on exercise and fasting or not eating as much?
    I ask because I've been on a T break for a couple days now and it's really hard to get more than 1000 calories in, but I also continue my workout of running a couple miles and doing bodyweight exercises. I'm losing body fat rapidly, but somehow I can't help but feel this isnt the healthiest...

6. [quote name='"Tokeforbroke"']Is it true that for abs to be visible you gotta be around 12% body fat?[/quote]

Naw man. I have a client around 20ish percent body fat and his abs are coming in strong. It DOES however certainly help to be 12 and under simply because you will get rid of that fat layer on your stomach. The secret to having abs IMO is cardio.

7. [quote name='"CaptainCCC"']What's your view on exercise and fasting or not eating as much?
    I ask because I've been on a T break for a couple days now and it's really hard to get more than 1000 calories in, but I also continue my workout of running a couple miles and doing bodyweight exercises. I'm losing body fat rapidly, but somehow I can't help but feel this isnt the healthiest...[/quote]

Monitor your exact weight loss, it all depends. What kind of foods are you eating for those 1000 calories ? The secret is to break it up into a bunch of smaller meals which keeps the good ol metabolism running strong. Less then 1000 isn't the healthiest i would recommend using a "daily calorie log" site they have tools you can type all your physical info in and they give you Your calorie limit for the day. Follow that + cardio and loose 2 pounds a week. Sister did it and lost 23.

8. [quote name='"powerclean"']

Naw man. I have a client around 20ish percent body fat and his abs are coming in strong. It DOES however certainly help to be 12 and under simply because you will get rid of that fat layer on your stomach. The secret to having abs IMO is cardio.[/quote]

Ill answer your first question after i get off work. Don't got long before can't use phone. Feel free to answer peoples questions but save me some for when im off work that's why i made the thread haha. Its cool your a pt too. Which certification did you get ?

9. [quote name='"RubberUndies"']

Ill answer your first question after i get off work. Don't got long before can't use phone. Feel free to answer peoples questions but save me some for when im off work that's why i made the thread haha. Its cool your a pt too. Which certification did you get ?[/quote]

For sure man! I mainly use my bachelors degree which is -> human performance with an emphasis in fitness and sports management. I have a cheap one from AMFPT just to be legally certified because i run as independent trainer, I have my own set of loyal clients that i train at private, no membership, all personal training gym that me and good buddy run.

10. [quote name='"powerclean"']

For sure man! I mainly use my bachelors degree which is -> human performance with an emphasis in fitness and sports management. I have a cheap one from AMFPT just to be legally certified because i run as independent trainer, I have my own set of loyal clients that i train at private, no membership, all personal training gym that me and good buddy run.[/quote]

Very nice. Do it in Washington and allow me to join you guys haha. But in all serious that's cool. I never thought about a degree in fitness? what career options are there how hard to find ?

11. [quote name='"RubberUndies"']

Very nice. Do it in Washington and allow me to join you guys haha. But in all serious that's cool. I never thought about a degree in fitness? what career options are there how hard to find ?[/quote]

Personal trainer, anything involving a gym really, you could coach, strength and conditioning coach, life coach, nutrition etc..

Human performance is the main part of my degree and that involves knowing the body inside and out so you could take that anywhere really just depends on what fuels your fire.

12. Have you ever been training a hot chick and have to hide a raging hard on?

13. [quote name='"ghostonvacation"']Have you ever been training a hot chick and have to hide a raging hard on?[/quote]

My ex

14. [quote name='"ghostonvacation"']have you ever been training a hot chick and have to hide a raging hard on?[/quote]

lolllllll

15. U aware brah? Cheeky kunt. Haha but bb.com forums for the win, learned everything I needed to go from 265 fat down to 185 and now I'm around 200 puttin muscle on gettin lean.

Good luck to everyone with goals those forums will reach you everything and more. Beware of bro science.

16. Im home and open for questions :) how's everyone's start of summer ?

17. [quote name='"RubberUndies"']Im home and open for questions :) how's everyone's start of summer ?[/quote]

Great just workin and chillin how about you?

18. [quote name='"AmbientGalaxy"']

Great just workin and chillin how about you?[/quote]

Going to get my 200$ worth of groceries for the next two weeks. I eat alot.....alooottt ...... Deadlifted 350 today because my back has been hurting since the car accident. Gotta slow my roll haha.

19. What's the best whey protein for mass gains

20. [quote name='"b lewis"']What's the best whey protein for mass gains[/quote]

If its whey protein isolates then the only thing the brand really does is flavor difference.... I use all kinds of different whey brands and run logs for many different ones. I am using optimum nutrition chocolate whey now.