Officer, I'd Like To Report Some Stolen Marijuana

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by Superjoint, Jul 22, 2003.

1. Heather Sokoloff
    National Post

Saturday, July 19, 2003

TORONTO - A young woman called police yesterday to report she had been robbed of $20 worth of marijuana in what is believed to be the first such case since an Ontario judge said possession of less than 30 grams of pot is no longer illegal.

York Regional Police say they are taking the case seriously and will do their best to retrieve the 18-year-old's stolen property.

"We've never had someone call us before and say, 'Someone stole my marijuana,'" Constable Steve Morrell said.

"But kids obviously feel comfortable enough to do that now."

The woman told police she was hanging out in a schoolyard in Thornhill, an affluent suburb of Toronto, when two teenage boys on mountain bikes approached and asked if she had any marijuana.

She produced two small bags the young men quickly snatched away. When she tried to grab the bags back, one of the teenagers said he had a handgun, according to the police report.

"We are investigating. A crime was committed. We don't have the option of saying one type of crime is not important to us."

Police say they have noticed an increase in marijuana smoking among teens since Ontario Superior Court Justice Steven Rogin upheld a lower court decision acquitting a 15-year-old boy of marijuana possession on May 16.

Judge Rogin found there was no law banning possession of the previously illegal substance because of the federal government's failure to comply with a July, 2000, ruling by the provincial Court of Appeal.

The federal government initially insisted possession of marijuana was still prohibited, but reversed that position a week later and introduced new legislation that would result in fines, instead of criminal sanctions, for possession of small amounts. But the changes are unlikely to become law until next year.

Const. Morrell could not say for sure what will happen if police retrieve the young woman's two little bags of pot.

"We'll have to cross that bridge when we come to it," he said. "If its someone's property, I don't know what legal right we have to hold onto it, unless it's for evidentiary purposes."

Const. Morrell noted that police can confiscate beer if they catch teenagers drinking in public, but says no law exists that allows them to confiscate marijuana.

hsokoloff@nationalpost.com

Newshawk: Ethan Russo M.D.
    Source: National Post (Canada)
    Author: Heather Sokoloff, National Post
    Published: Saturday, July 19, 2003
    Copyright: 2003 Southam Inc.

2. Jah Mon, Stand Up For Your Rights!

3. i wish the law was like that where i live, i get caught with a quarter and i get a charge. but then again i was on school grounds, but its the principle that counts.

4. buzzkill bump

5. damn this thread is ancient.

6. I bet she was in the lows, with no money, then she thought of a way to get free weed, where she said someone stole her weed, and that she is of no possession so she can't be charged and the police will probably provide her with the marijuana she got robbed of. My idea. :)

7. First post- 2003
    Second post- 2003
    Third post- 2010

Pretty funny :)

8. How do you even find a thread this old lol

9. I fucking wish! haha back in my hometown in manitoba they take it and grind it into the dirt with thier boots :(

10. lol, i hope that someone in cali can call in some stolen pot in a few days!

and lol, i knew this had to be old.. if super joint posted it

11. Wish it was still like this lol :p I live just outside of Toronto, in Ajax, and police have been really cracking down in this area. Two dealers arrested last weak, chases going on next to my high school but off school property (literally drove a car chasing mj smoker's over at an empty field), and police driving around constantly within the neighborhoods. About a month ago, another dealer I know was actually getting busted right before I was about to pick up with a friend, scared the shit out of us.