office of National Drug Control Policy website

Discussion in 'General' started by ipack, Nov 28, 2005.

1. seriously the stupidest shit ever: my favorite "article"

If Your Kid Says:

1.Marijuana is a natural plant; how harmful could it be?

You Say…
    “Smoking marijuana is at least as bad as smoking cigarettes, and you already know how dangerous tobacco is to your health.”
    “Marijuana can harm your future, too. It's proven that it's harder to concentrate and retain information when you've been using pot.”

2.Marijuana is not addictive.

“Sixty percent of youth currently in treatment have a primary diagnosis of marijuana. More youth enter drug treatment with a primary diagnosis of marijuana dependency than for all other illicit drugs combined.”

3.Marijuana can't cause any real problems in the long term.

“If you smoke marijuana, you could do things that jeopardize your future, like having sex or getting in trouble with the law.” “You can lose scholarship or loan money, or get kicked off the sports team.”

4.Marijuana only makes you mellow.

“Not always. Sometimes it makes people violent. Kids who use marijuana weekly are four times more likely to engage in violent behavior than those who don't.”

5.Marijuana's not as popular as new drugs like ecstasy.

“More kids use marijuana than any other illicit drug by far.”

6.If I smoke marijuana, I'm not hurting anyone else.

“Marijuana trafficking is a big, international, often violent business. The people behind it are criminals. If you're smoking pot, you could be hurting other people.”

7.You smoked pot and turned out fine.

“This isn't about my past – it's about your future. Marijuana is illegal and can be risky. I don't want you using the drug.”

8.I know straight “A” students who smoke pot.

“Most kids who smoke marijuana don't make straight “A”s. Research shows that kids with an average grade of “D” or below were more than four times more likely to have used marijuana in the past year as kids who reported an average grade of “A.”
    Marijuana must be good for you; it's medicine. “Marijuana is not a medicine. A THC (active ingredient of marijuana) pill is available by prescription for treating cancer and AIDS patients, but more research needs to be done before marijuana can be used as medicine. Remember, smoked marijuana contains over 400 known carcinogens.”

2. good god... those pigs make me sick. fucking pigs.

3. Man that's not new !They've been wasting PAPERS for those "facts" since we've(I) been in grade school remember?MARI LUVS US!! No Doubt!

4. Because I feel the need, I'll rebut this bullshit point-by-point
    Well, that's pretty much true, except that thousands die of lung cancer caused by tobacco smoke each year, whereas marijuana actually inhibits tumor growth.

As for difficulty concentrating, what a brilliant deduction! Your mind functions differently when high? Why didn't anyone tell me? Holy crap, try to get a drunk person to learn something, then try to teach that same information to someone who is high. Let me know how it works out.

Yes, because of YOUR (the governernment's) unjust persecution of marijuana defenders. You give people the option of jail time or drug treatment; what would you choose?

There is nothing wrong with having sex. Grow up. As for getting in trouble with the law, losing scholarships, and getting kicked off teams, those are ALL results of the government's aforementioned unnecessary persecution of pot smokers.

Really? Where's your evidence to back this up? I contend that people who use marijuana weekly are four times more likely to sit on their ass and gourge themselves with munchie food.

I don't know what dumbass told you that, but I've never heard it before and I will tell you that it's blatantly false.

Once again, the criminal factor is BECAUSE OF YOU. YOU enforce marijuana prohibition. YOU arrest people who would otherwise have no reason to be violent.

Besides, under that premise, if Bill Gates were to purchase a nuclear bomb and drop it on NYC, anyone who owned a Microsoft product would be at fault for 'hurting' people in NYC.

Lastly, the implication that marijuana trafficking is a large international business is completely misleading. Yes, some marijuana is smuggled over the borders. But very little compared to the significant amount that is grown right here, at home, and sold by people who are just trying to make a couple extra bucks.

Yes, it's about the future of the children. And that's what they are trying to point out...smoking marijuana doesn't necessarily have any effect on your future...you can't just say "This isn't about that!" simply because it doesn't support your side of the argument.

Most kids with parents don't make straight "A"s. Are you going to make parents illegal as well?

Many people who have used marinol have stated that it is less effective and posesses several unpleasant side effects that are not present after smoking marijuana. Although THC is the primary active ingredient, marijuana also contains many other cannabinoids that work in cooperation with THC.

And, yes, marijuana smoke is loaded with carcinogens. But it doesn't cause cancer. It inhibits cancer. You're deliberately (or ignorantly) misleading the public.