Off season in greenhouse

Discussion in 'Greenhouses' started by BrownGuy, Jun 16, 2016.

1. Hey guys just a quick question here, I am landing some property and will be installing some forever flowering light dep greenhouses on it. I plan to only flower in the greenhouses, vegging will be done in different area, so the greenhouses wont need light assistance much but here in southern oregon it gets pretty cold and cloudy for about 4 or 5 months, what are your guys thoughts on flowering under cloudy day for a cycle or two? Will this affect yield if climate in greenhouses were on point? Heated beds maybe if needed? And if I need lights I could just supplement with maybe lights triggered by light meter or photocell? Thanks guys i have lots of experience in greenhouses but not on the off season, winters can get cold here but if im heated it will be ideal inside the greenhouses so it all depends on the ambient light, the greenhouses are in an open field and will soak up whatever the sky gives up everyday. Thanks guys!

• Like Like x 2
  2. I'm now in a similar situation

one very reason guys don't bud in winter under the sun is of the shitty tiny buds

sure veg under the cloudy sun, but boost them buds with some daytime hps action

key is understanding the inner core rootzone temps,

keep that up will give you a happy plant

happy plant = good bud

good luck

• Like Like x 2
  3. grow spinach :)

4. Hey I was planning of doing a 4x4 outdoor greenhouse in ground no pots with a 1000watt DE hps for that reason that sun ain't shit this time around. What you think the outcome would be? Good , bad? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

5. in ground ...?

cold soil = cold roots = slow growth =avoid ..lol

• Like Like x 1
  6. What about in pots? I will keep temps up in the high 80s to mid 90s it's a glass greenhouse ?

7. Pots is best 2x 3x times than normal

as the extra soil will offer extra insulation

as a bonus if and when it ever gets warm

you will get some extra growth

good luck

8. Thanks my brotha I said fuck it so I ordered 8x8 rio grand Gardner green house and 2 Kind LED k5 XL1000 + my 1000 de hps should be explosive I will post set up within the couple months thanks Vostok shouts out from out here in Modesto ca

• Like Like x 2
  9. So Cal I can get 4 sets outside per year without a greenhouse.. I'm still getting 100 plus degree days.. Fall and Spring are really the best runs here as summer is to blazing hot.. Winter may not have really tight form but the strength is right up there with the rest of the sets.. Since I hash 95% of what I grow anyway it's all good..
    300 plus days of sunlight a year means there is no reason not to flower outside out of season
    BNW

• Like Like x 2
  10. I'm thinking of throwing a clone outside in the southwest where we might get one night a year of frost. Is there anything I should know about running one outside this winter it's my first attempt outside.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Grasscity Forum mobile app

11. So Cal Growers Unite
    Here is the So Cal outside growers thread.. Pick the best southern exposure spots you have that get that most hours of sun per day..
    [​IMG]
    One of my best spots is this south facing patio so I made up some 5 and 18 gallon SIPs (self irrigating planters) for that spot..
    My harvest-set out dates are
    Oct 15th = Harvest summer and set out fall
    Jan 1st Harvest fall and set out winter
    March 15th Harvest winter and set out Spring
    June 1st Harvest Spring and set out Summer..
    [​IMG]
    Vegging gets done under some T5 High Outputs running 6500K color lamps..
    It's a closed loop with me taking clones from the vegging plants and the whole thing just cycles round again every 70-80 days for the 3 off season sets and the much longer summer set.. Works any place it doesn't freeze..
    BNW

• Like Like x 3
  12. So I decided to try the winter thing to see if I could have something to watch in the off season, a friend got me a pineapple chunk, and a durban poison, I had asked for only indica but he got the sativa anyway. The pineapple says 8 week flower, and so does the durban poison, I have alway seen that it should have a longer flower time. I have a greenhouse and planted them on dec 24th, they were both about 12" tall. I get full sun and the temps in the day get to approx 80 deg on sunny days. I have a small heater under the plants that I run at night to keep the temps up. The DP has grown about 6", the PC was a single stalk so I pinched the top and tied it down, now its branches are reaching up. I can see the PC is starting to flower but the DP no. Looking at the daylight hours I have until 3-16, at that time the light is 12 hrs. That will have been 11 weeks with light under 12 hrs, will this work?
    Ultimately I would like to start a cycle similar to BrassNwood, but prob just a outdoor summer and a winter greenhouse.

13. @burnpile
    In reality the actual trigger hours for cannabis is more like 14.5.. At 15 they veg at 14 they flower..
    What this means is for most of the Northern Hemisphere only June and July are true veg outside months.. The other 10 months plants will flower..
    As long as you work around the 2 peak summer months the rest of the year is dependable to flower under.. Keep them from freezing and they will produce.. You need to harvest the last off season plant by June 1st as they will start to reveg about mid June if you don't..
    BNW

14. Thanks for the responce, I prob shouldn't have hijacked to this thread, should I start a new one?. I have only grown outdoors, usually starting mid june and harvest late oct., rain can be a problem. This is really nice to be able to have some in the offseason, I find I spend to much time sitting with them. I was worried the time would run out for the flower cycle but sounds Like its fine. Thanks

15. They are both doing well, the pineapple is much further along than the durban, much smaller also. Were finally getting some sun after 10 cloudy days. I have 4 other babies that are under a 6 bulb fluorescent, the bulbs say 5000k, the light is approx 5" from the plants, on 24 hrs, does that sound right?