Odd topping question... Alternating nodes?

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by akstoner, Apr 4, 2015.

1. So I picked a clone up from my co worker who is an extremely experienced grower, but very basic when it comes to growing methods. So I get this clone and I'm planning on running some topping experiments on it. What I noticed when I went to make the first cut is that the nodes aren't aligned on both sides. What I mean is, usually at a node there are 2 branches coming out. Well on this plant there is only one branch on each node but alternating sides as it goes up. So where the hell do I chop for the first topping? I feel like if I top as I normally would, one chute would be taller than the other, dooming the plant to be imbalanced for the rest of its life. Any advice? Thanks in advance!

You're never out of weed. Where there's a will, there's a way.

2. when you grow from seed plants go through a normal maturation cycle with a period of symmetrical branching. The "2 branches coming out" you mentioned. when the plant shifts to maturity it will begin an A-symmetrical branching pattern, with the "un-aligned nodes" you mentioned.

Since a clone is created sexually mature (being one of the key features clones are used for) it will exhibit the A-symmetrical branching from the get go.

To answer your question if you top your plant typically the 2 nodes below your cut will become the new apex's. Regardless of symmetrical branching or not.