Odd pests in soil

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by sklog, Oct 31, 2010.

1. Hey ya'll. After recently witnessing 3 plants completely die, 2 continue to grow extremely slow after a major battle to keep them alive, and now my 1 out of 3 seedlings i have is living but showing signs of overwatering, BUT alas... Today i took the saran wrap off the top as the seedling is starting its 3rd set of leaves but the bottom 2 are starting to turn yellow and wilt. I turned up some soil in the pot and noticed a little brown insect maybe a pinky fingernail big that sort of looked like a silverfish for lack of any other kind of description. What could it be and how can i fix it quickly as to save my little babies??

This has been a problem for awhile i would guess as my other 2 surviving are about 6 weeks along but look like their only 3 after lots of pruning. This is the first time I have seen an insect and I suspect this is causing my problems and am very unsure as to how to solve it. If I need to post pics of my sick plants to help diagnose I will, but please help!

2. bumping to save my babies!

3. Did it look anything like this?

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

4. Hello? You still out there? :D

5. Hmm.. he must have been killed in an unfortunate accident. R.I.P. Brother. :D

6. hey man, sorry for such a delay i was studying and working yesterday, but yea it kinda did look like the second from the left but more brown, what is it and how can i despose of these pests?

7. Those are the different stages of a thrips life. These are thrips. Are you sure this is what it looks like?

[​IMG]

If it is you need to read up in the pest section to figure out how to get rid of them. Good luck. Thrips are notoriously hard to get rid of.

8. If you have thrips about a year ago I helped someone fight off an infestation.
    It was not as hard as it could have been.

We simply used a spray of water and goGnats twice a week while covering the soil tops with panda film. We also hung up a few fly traps.

After about 4 weeks the problem seemed to completly clear out. :)
    We kept the soil covers on for another month but have not seen a single bug since then, we traced the source to a clone from another person.

If it happened today I would probably replace the goGnats with neem oil but otherwise would treat the same. I think the key was actually covering the soil to make sure no new babies where being bread.

Good luck!

9. yea it is i saw a lot smaller one on the surface just now when i checked them and there was a smaller one that was white that looked like what the early stages in that photo. the outer parts of the leaves are starting to be splotchy and brown.

at this point do you think it would be better just to scrap them and start over with new soil? im just using bagseed as this is my first grow and if it would be easier to start over than treat these pests i will start germinating more right now.

10. yes start over with new soil.

grab some organic or foxfarm ocean forest.

and some ff nutes.

use different pots aswell.

and clean out the place you are growing in and even spray it down with some neem oil and what the other blade said

11. The tell tale sign of thrips is that they leave little black streaks of their poo on the leaves.