Odd car problem

Discussion in 'General' started by Bill Dauterive, Feb 20, 2018.

1. #1 Bill Dauterive, Feb 20, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2018

2. Does it change when you switch it to air recycling?

Year/make/model would help.

3. Wiring? I don't know, not very good with cars...But sounds like your accelerator is activating the fan, which makes me thinks some wires are crossed.

I mean, maybe...Anyway.:coolalt:

4. Duct come off outside air coming in maybe

5. I'm assuming that it's not switching the floor vents off, probably a wiring issue.

6. #6 Bill Dauterive, Feb 20, 2018
    , it only seems to be blowing out the floor, even when the a/c is not on if you switch to vent or defrosr air is still blowing out the floor it increases upon acceleration

7. What duck? I really need this solved because it's costing me hella gas money

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. Me too if it's a wiring issue id like to disconnect what it is, I can do without the air coming from the floor. The thing is the air only blows when driving

9. Not sure why you think it's costing you "hella gas money" but sounds like there's a flap that's stuck so air is always at the floor. Since it increases when you drive faster, seems pretty clear to me that it's vent air, not forced air.

10. Because it is I'm losing hella mileage, makes since considering more gas is burnt when you u se the ac.

11. What do you mean vent air, how would I close this flap

12. So you're describing two things, (1) AC always being on and (2) your air is stuck blowing on the floor.

AC shouldn't be costing you all that much more so don't worry about that now or change your driving habits until you fix it. If the AC is indeed on, you should be able to unplug it or remove a fuse to make it turn off until you can fix it. Google how to do that.

Cars pull air through a vent (pushed in from driving) and they can increase that air speed by using a fan. Vent air would increase when you speed up. That's why I asked if there's a difference from turning it on "recycle" or "return" mode. Turning it on return/recycle should keep air from blowing in as you speed up.

13. What year/make/model

I would check the fuses related to that stuff. If nothing there, turn car to run but don't start it. Switch to every setting and every vent and listen to see what's happening. See if it's doing it without actually driving. If there's a way to access the vent and manually (likely not if it's a newer car) move it, see what happens. Beyond that you need a real mechanic, haha. I'm just a pothead that tinkers with cars. Mostly older ones.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Its not the HVAC.because I just disconnected the fuse that operates it the a/c is off and air is still blowing from the floor.

15. Yeah the older the easier it is to work on usually.

16. It's a 2001 truck, there is no option to do that. Only 3 dials one controls the speed, one controls the heat, and one controls the direction of flow. The one for flow is your basic settings of dash vent,floor vent,defrost,defrost and floor,floor and vent,ac,max ac.

17. I think your vent is stuck open I have a 2004 and and I only have defrost no floor

18. I think your vent is stuck open I have a 2004 and and I only have defrost no floor

19. There's nothing old about a 2001. They've been making recirculating/recycling airflow an option since at least the 70's. I didn't believe you when you said your truck didn't have that so i googled the manual and sure enough you're right. Looks like there's no option for cutting off the outside air, which is pretty shitty. You're being a bit too obtuse for me to keep helping you but here's the link to the user manual so folks know what you're dealing with. According to the manual, there will always be air coming in from the outside. If an unusual amount of air is coming in and your AC is disconnected, I imagine your flaps are stuck.

https://my.chevrolet.com/content/da...1/chevrolet/s10/2001_chevrolet_s10_owners.pdf

20. #20 Bill Dauterive, Feb 20, 2018
    I'm sorry didn't mean to be obtuse. How else can I help you. I had disconnected the fuse for the HVAC and air still seems to be blowing out the floor vent.

And yeah i know told you it didn't have it lol. Im a good mechanic I just need to know what to fix lol.

So from what I read in the manual air doesn't stop flowing, which is what you said...need to figure out why my mileage is so low then.