OCT 28 NH Vote to overturn Lynch's veto on MM

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by IlikeTV08, Oct 25, 2009.

1. VOTING TO OVERTURN LYNCH's VETO IS THE 28th of OCT.
    That's Wednesday!

When Lynch was asked why he vetoed he responded with:

"The provisions made for law enforcement to check on the status of an individual who asserts protection under the proposed law are too narrow. There are also many inconsistencies and structural problems in the legislation that would greatly complicate its administration and would pose barriers to controls aimed at preventing the unauthorized use of marijuana."

my feelings are:
    Medical marijuana is not aimed at making patients the only people with marijuana, it is aimed at ALLOWING patients to have, grow, and safely receive marijuana from dispensaries without dealing with "criminals."

As long as everyone votes the same as they did last time, we need to change the mind of 2 senators.

The following republicans all voted nay for MM, feel free to try to persuade them otherwise, I know I'm going to be sending a few emails.

jack.barnes@leg.state.nh.us
    peter.bragdon@leg.state.nh.us
    sharon.carson@leg.state.nh.us
    ted.gatsas@leg.state.nh.us
    robert.letourneau@leg.state.nh.us
    bob.odell@leg.state.nh.us
    sheila.roberge@leg.state.nh.us
    michael.downing@leg.state.nh.us

and the following are Democratic nay voters

betsi.devries@leg.state.nh.us

Click here to see how each senator voted. Click on their name to see their profile.
    BillStatus_BillRollCalls

also, talking points from nhcompassion.org

Talking Points:

* Currently, many seriously ill Granite Staters are forced to make a terrible decision: continue to suffer or obtain marijuana illegally and risk arrest and prison.
    * This is not a partisan issue; it is a compassion issue. Indeed, there was broad bipartisan support for it in the House.
    * The medical marijuana bill is strongly supported by Republicans, Democrats, and Independents alike. The House easily passed the bill with the support of 45 Republican representatives.
    * A 2008 Mason-Dixon poll showed that 71% of New Hampshire voters support allowing seriously and terminally ill patients to use and grow medical marijuana for personal use if their doctors recommend it. Only 21% were opposed.
    * Thirteen states, including Vermont, Maine, and Rhode Island, already officially recognize the benefits of marijuana as medicine and have chosen not to waste energy and resources going after seriously ill people. It's time for our state to join their ranks.
    * Medical marijuana is effective at alleviating the pain associated with various debilitating conditions. These include cancer, HIV/AIDS, multiple sclerosis, chronic pain, muscle spasms, and others. Despite misguided claims to the contrary, marijuana clearly does have therapeutic value.
    * We should stop wasting time and resources on going after sick people and focus on real crime.
    * The American Public Health Association, the American Nurses Association, the American Academy of HIV Medicine, the Leukemia Foundation of America, and the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, as well as several state medical societies, support allowing the medical use of marijuana.
    * Marijuana is far less addictive than many prescription narcotics, and many long-term users of painkillers will tell you that the addictive potential of these medications is a very real problem. Marijuana is a safe and effective alternative for many patients who are unable to find success with other pain relievers.
    * Being able to use medical marijuana allows many patients to lead normal lives by reducing their pain, which allows them to work and be productive members of society.
    * Your constituents support HB 648 no matter to which political party they belong. According to a 2008 Mason-Dixon poll, 87% of Democrats, 56% of Republicans, and 72% of Independents in New Hampshire support allowing sick and dying patients to use and grow medical marijuana.
    * What do we have to gain by denying those who could benefit from the use of medical marijuana the opportunity to do so?

2. NH deserves MMJ..

LIVE FREE OR DIE!
    We dont need to wear our seat belts. Or helmets when we ride our motorcycles. Wwe Dont pay bullshit taxes.. We live simple lives.

My thing says mass thats where I live. But I grew up In Nh family lives there,

3. "The provisions made for law enforcement to check on the status of an individual who asserts protection under the proposed law are too narrow. There are also many inconsistencies and structural problems in the legislation that would greatly complicate its administration and would pose barriers to controls aimed at preventing the unauthorized use of marijuana."

What that basically translates to is "I would lose a shit fuck ton of money if I signed this"

4. I'm in Massachusetts but I'll surely get my NH peeps to rally some support around this. Thanks for the post!

5. It's also worth noting in your talking points that Obama put out a DOJ memo this past week that said federal resources won't be used to prosecute people following state laws. Federal law is becoming more tolerant of MMJ.