OCD is getting out of hand

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by UltimateTweaker, Nov 30, 2011.

1. I have never been diagnosed with OCD by a doctor but it's obvious that I have it. Long story short, every night before I go to bed I spend about 1 and 1/2 hours to 2 hours checking certain things in my house. Water faucets, locks, my oven and refrigerator, my garage door, and my fans in the basement (recent flooding happened down there, I'm nervous I'll start a fire or something.) Even when I am doing something like wiping my ass I fall victim to this shit. I must always lift the toilet seat up and down twice before I flush or I feel like I'll have bad luck the day after. Same thing with chairs, whenever they're not pushed in I must do it for the same reason.

Is there any way to treat this without pills or anything?

2. smoke mass amounts of weed and eat a lot of edibles to put yourself in a state of paralysis? sounds like itd work

3. Cognitive behavioral therapy

4. I used to double-check things alot when younger before I started smoking, but never doing something because it might be bad luck.

Once I started smoking bud, I kinda got too lazy to check everything twice, so I trust my instincts much more now.

5. just stop. stop doing one thing a week/month

might take a while but how else do you think you could fix it?

6. As your doing your OCD thing, stop and look at what your doing. Ask why you are doing it and what purpose did it serve.

Might not help for you, but that sentence i just described got rid of it instantly. Like an instant snap out of a trance.

7. It depends on how badly this is impacting your life. You describe it as "getting out of hand" which sounds pretty bad. You may at this point may want to consider going to consult with a professional. They may be able to help you. If, however, you do not like what they have to offer, then walk away.

Good Luck, Brah

8. I've tried that. It just creates this "what if I'm wrong/forgot to do something/missed something" feeling.

I will deal with this a bit more before I talk to my doc about this problem.

9. Stop giving a fuck about shit

Whenever u feel your OCD kick in, repeat to yourself "fuck it"

Or just jack off whenever u get the OCD urges , I dunno

10. yeah dude fuck it man just become lazy its fun

11. #11 TheOriginalMad, Nov 30, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2011
    2 things

1. Say to yourself, outloud if possible "This doesnt make sense" whenever your doing one of them

2.Find someone you love and stop for them "Do it for ____"

Ive been diagnosed and its what I do to help. If you want to talk send me a PM.

Edit: I just wanted to say that stopping will not be easy and you will always have urges, just not as bad. But if you truly try you can do it

12. check what your eating=eat healthy your environment= fresh air,no mold mildew,in your home,wifi.Take a multi,exercise,go get a massage.There should be some vids on you tube on that.

13. I'm guessing there is some deeper shit you need to work out with a psychologist, theres some reason behind you thinking that your going to start a fire.

how the hell does it take you a hour and half? Dont you relize that you did not touch half the shit you checked last night so they will be exactly the same as the night before, and you dont need to check them again the next night, like windows? its not like you unlock them everyday why do you check them if you did not open them up in the first place? and last time you checked they were closed.

14. Thats not how an ocd sufferers brain works. OCD is a chemical imbalance, your mind knows that it is fine but if you don't physically go check you can get mild to extremely severe anxiety.

15. I feel the exact same response when I walk out the door and think shit did I turn my vape off 15 min ago? about ninety percent of the time I would go back to check. Note that ive never forgot to turn my vape off, its all anxiety for no reason at all.

I now pay extra attention to me turning my vape off and take a mental picture in my mind, now I have no more trouble with that feeling when I do that.

16. You need to understand that your brain is playing tricks on you. It's you vs your mind it's a tough a torturous battle to win but when you get away from your OCD you'll be happy. Message me if you nee anything i'm getting over my OCD atm.

17. [quote name='"greenmnster_"']I'm guessing there is some deeper shit you need to work out with a psychologist, theres some reason behind you thinking that your going to start a fire.

how the hell does it take you a hour and half? Dont you relize that you did not touch half the shit you checked last night so they will be exactly the same as the night before, and you dont need to check them again the next night, like windows? its not like you unlock them everyday why do you check them if you did not open them up in the first place? and last time you checked they were closed.[/quote]

I would explain why I always have to check stuff, but it's hard to understand unless you have OCD yourself. I know that my doors are locked at night, but then there's the possibility of me maybe accidentally unlocking them or something. Maybe I never locked them in the first place. Boom, when I think those thoughts I have to check my locks. And then it happens over and over again, just constant checking of certain things for an hour or too. And it's the same things everytime.

That might've been a bad example but that's the best way I can describe it.

18. DO NOT TAKE MED'S FOR IT....*if there are any?*
    The only person that can fix this problem is YOU.
    You can get help, others can help your solve it but it's in your hands.
    There are professionals that can aid you.

I saw a tv show, where someone in their car kept thinking they ran over someone every time they went over a little bump. The lady would get out of the car to make sure! the show was like an intervention thing, and she was getting help.

Tokein up may or may not help.
    :smoking:

19. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUdHX1Bent0&list=FLhFq2AiY7EGQ4uXV84ajilA&index=2&feature=plpp_video]No Fear in the Now - YouTube[/ame]

20. I disagree with that, mine was incredibly bad until I started taking meds (fluvoxamine) and then I was able to sort of get it under control. I don't really get what everyone always says about it turning you into a mindless zombie, if anything it has made me more individualized.