Obama's State of The Union's implications on marijuana legalization

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by jrock93, Jan 28, 2010.

1. In Obamas speech, he mentioned that as part of the 3-year spending freeze, they would go over all of their expenditures and eliminate those that are not effective. The 1st thing that came to my mind when hearing this was the War on Drugs. Obviously even though we spend billions of dollars on the war on drugs, and use up valuable police resources enforcing these laws on harmless marijuana smokers, paying for marijuana users to be in jail, and paying to spread government bullshit propoganda about the dangers of weed (although that has declined) All these billions of dollars, yet 54million americans have tried marijuana, obviously its money being wasted. I expect the War on Drugs to be ended within the next 1-3 years, we are closer than ever! If marijuana legalizes it, many other countries will follow suit because the risk of backlash that Jamaica and Canada are feeling now from the US will be gone.

Sorry for the wall o' text, high:hello:

2. The War on drugs would be the quickest and probably should be in any SENSIBLE persons mind the first thing to be on that list of cuts. Would save a FUCK TON of money.

3. Ya man I feel ya its exciting to know that change is on the way. It will be quite interesting to see the spread of headshops and calmness people might exercise when mentioning marijuana. Its also exciting because being 19 currently I have a 2 year window before Im 21 and Im sure if its legalized they will make the age 21. So once its legalized I wont have to wait, I can buy it openly.

4. The spending "freeze" only affects about 1/5th of the total Federal budget. Fear not, they will SOMEHOW find the way to fund the war on drugs. :rolleyes:
    This comes after the Obama administration UPPED the debt ceiling by over a trillion dollars. So he UPPED it, then said freeze it. Hardly fiscal conservatism/prudence.
    How many times did you hear the words "tax credit" in that speech last night? That term can be interpreted as "borrowed money." They don't care how indebted they make you, me, and future generations.

5. Obama is not ending the war on drugs; of that you can be sure.

I'd say watch for a proportionate spending increase. That is what will be happening IMO.

6. hate to be a skeptic, but Obama already closed this issue the last time he laughed at us.

And, his directive to the DEA to stop targeting MMJ only redirects their efforts toward the recreational community. They still have to lock people up to justify their budget.

Name another poverty stricken country whose govt still doesn't find the money with which to lock up political prisoners.