Obama's Campaign Promises

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Deleted member 95373, Jul 6, 2009.

1. #1 Deleted member 95373, Jul 6, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2009
    Well as I scrolled through the politics section, I noticed threads denouncing Obama almost always bringing up his campaign promises and which ones hes pulled through on or failed to do.

I've decided to post this list of the promises he has kept, compromised, or broken so far. I'll update it everyday there is an update on this site; PolitiFact | The Obameter: Tracking Barack Obama's Campaign Promises

Promises Kept; 33

No. 15: Create a foreclosure prevention fund for homeowners

No. 33: Establish a credit card bill of rights

No. 36: Expand loan programs for small businesses

No. 40: Extend and index the 2007 Alternative Minimum Tax patch

No. 58: Expand eligibility for State Children's Health Insurance Fund (SCHIP)

No. 76: Expand funding to train primary care providers and public health practitioners

No. 77: Increase funding to expand community based prevention programs

No. 125: Direct military leaders to end war in Iraq

No. 134: Send two additional brigades to Afghanistan

No. 174: Give a speech at a major Islamic forum in the first 100 days of his administration

No. 222: Grant Americans unrestricted rights to visit family and send money to Cuba

No. 224: Restore funding for the Byrne Justice Assistance Grant (Byrne/JAG) program

No. 239: Release presidential records

No. 241: Require new hires to sign a form affirming their hiring was not due to political affiliation or contributions.

No. 278: Remove more brush, small trees and vegetation that fuel wildfires

No. 290: Push for enactment of Matthew Shepard Act, which expands hate crime law to include sexual orientation and other factors

No. 307: Create a White House Office on Urban Policy

No. 327: Support increased funding for the NEA

No. 346: Appoint an assistant to the president for science and technology policy

No. 371: Fund a major expansion of AmeriCorps

No. 411: Work to overturn Ledbetter vs. Goodyear

No. 421: Appoint an American Indian policy adviser

No. 427: Ban lobbyist gifts to executive employees

No. 452: Weatherize 1 million homes per year

No. 458: Invest in all types of alternative energy

No. 459: Enact tax credit for consumers for plug-in hybrid cars

No. 480: Support high-speed rail

No. 498: Provide grants to encourage energy-efficient building codes

No. 502: Get his daughters a puppy

No. 503: Appoint at least one Republican to the cabinet

No. 507: Extend unemployment insurance benefits and temporarily suspend taxes on these benefits

No. 513: Reverse restrictions on stem cell research

Promises Compromised; 9

No. 3: Eliminate capital gains taxes for small businesses and start-ups

No. 5: Expand the earned income tax credit

No. 32: Create a tax credit of $500 for workers

No. 257: Create the American Opportunity Tax Credit to offset college costs

No. 365: Appoint experienced disaster official to head FEMA

No. 434: Set a three-month moratorium on foreclosures

No. 492: Phase out incandescent light bulbs

No. 512: Go "line by line" over earmarks to make sure money being spent wiselyNo.

No. 515: No family making less than $250,000 will see "any form of tax increase."

Promises Broken; 6

No. 24: End income tax for seniors making less than $50,000

No. 234: Allow five days of public comment before signing bills

No. 240: Tougher rules against revolving door for lobbyists and former officials

No. 505: Create a $3,000 tax credit for companies that add jobs

No. 508: Allow penalty-free hardship withdrawals from retirement accounts in 2008 and 2009

No. 511: Recognize the Armenian genocide

Those are currently all they have rated under those three. This is by no means the bulk of his promises, of which they keep a list on the site and rate each for whether or not he kept it. They also have a list of those in the works as we speak.

2. No. 502: Get his daughters a puppy

Oh really, is that political?

Hey guys, a dog is going save the world, not Obama. The superdog to the rescue!

• Like Like x 1
  3. It was listed on the website and it was something he promised on the campaign.

Quote; "In a single day there is more information sent out through televisions than exists in all the books in the entire world. Not all parts have equal value."

I'd say you should check out the rest of things he's done or hasn't done rather than focus on the one thing that wasn't really all that important.

4. #4 MountyBounty, Jul 6, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2009
    Cap and Trade will affect everyone along with the inflation which is due to come from Obama makin' it rain on us

[​IMG]

5. Expand, establish, fund, expand, establish, fund... :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

6. If you had looked you would've seen it was under the "compromised" section. I suggest you go read their thoughts on this campaign promise. Cigg prices were also raised but general taxes won't be.

On top of that he promised us Cap and Trade in part of his campaign(check the "In the works" section for this one).

7. My take :)

8. If they're going to include the dogs they should probably include not keeping the quitting smoking promise and keeping the promise to spend tax money on flying his wife and him to see a Broadway show.

9. That's your opinion I'm glad you have one. That being said, those "bullshit" promises mean alot to a fair deal of people(except the puppy obv), it's a reason he was voted in after all. For example giving a speech at a major Islamic forum. While you consider that "bullshit" it and the things he said in it, have helped our standings in a few other countries. Is that really all that terrible?

The ones you rate as Big Gov't Lib. Spending is just you showing how Republican you are. I mean while some of it is probably wasteful can you really have a problem with this; Expand eligibility for State Children's Health Insurance Fund?

Hell even the ones you call semi decent are just that, only semi decent. But like you said, it's your take(and maybe Rush Limbaugh's).

The last jab was a joke :p

• Like Like x 1
  10. Well, I don't know if he hasn't quit smoking. I haven't seen him publicly captured with a cigarette in forever now. As far as spending tax money to fly his wife and him to a broadway show I doubt he ever promised that, although they did attend a show not to long ago.

• Like Like x 1

11. No, it was a good move, but it was still bullshit as he was only trying to dissuade what Arab friends we have left from opposing our current and future military exploits of the Arab world. I saw it as buying time until we have our foot in the door of wherever we're going next.

I thought it was a great speech and would have been awesome if we had a President who followed through with rhetoric.

Those show how conservative I am. Republicans are anything but frugal when it comes to the size and expenditures of the state, so fuck em.

Of course I want the children to be taken care of, but I would have rather seen "Tax rebates for child medical coverage" or something to reduce the burden of government, rather than increasing it. Tax exemption for terminal illness patients would be a good one, they are going to be dead long before they "benefit" from their taxes (as if anyone ever does). These are the kinds of steps to improve access to health I would like to see, and ones that could be made with no extra costs to tax payers.

Plus I believe every government spending initiative is carried out with some regards for the respective industries, ie Health in this case. Increased coverage is basically a grant to health providers to get paid more. What they are doing is shifting control over health care out of the consumers hand and into the state, further diminishing our abilities to lower costs via brand preference or demand reduction.

12. Judging his actions before he makes them? Oh ya thats the way to go lol.

Fair enough. In my defense republicans have drilled into my brain with propaganda over the years that they are somehow more conservative then democrats.
    I think the last part is a little crazy. Are you saying the government will outdo private sector in this matter? A point was made awhile back that everyone acts like this thing is going to put private health coverage out of business by the government. These are the same people that talk about how woefully inept the government is. Personally I look at it as the 4th option's fallout plan. I'd expect pretty shitty coverage if I was on it and I'd hope there were some terms and conditions to become part of the program.

13. Call it an educated guess, I've become quite adept at deciphering newspeak. ;)

No, you misunderstand. More government involvement will increase the power of the private sector corporations over the consumers, it will further empower the already established giants. They will just receive more third-party-payer (distorted) access to the market.

14. You left out the promise he broke about discussing the #1 topic on his website... which ended up being marijuana. All he did was laugh at it. That is no discussion.

15. 6 Months later.........
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. UH Pandora's box, like hello, omg, come on now we know that talking about Obama's policy is illegal, and it matters to national security to talk about his policies, duhh. What is this thread a joke, Im tired of it already!

17. obama is retarded

• Like Like x 2

18. I''m sorry, but I'm going to needs facts for you to back that up.