Obama today on Unemployment

Discussion in 'Politics' started by garrison68, Jul 18, 2010.

1. I just heard Obama, on TV, say, "“I haven’t met any Americans who would rather have an unemployment check than a meaningful job.....”

Obama: GOP Filibustering Recovery - Political Punch

Well, he hasn't met ME! :wave: Fuck yeah, I collected 99 weeks total over the past few years. Those of us who collected that long are called "the 99ers". Combined with other times I've collected after being laid off, I've gotten almost four years of it in total. We used to call it "The Fresh Air Fund", after the charity of that name for "disadvantaged" inner city children. ;)

A lot of people who got laid off, after many years at corporations, are PISSED OFF. We paid into the system, including U/E insurance, and got fucked over when we got older. Fuck it, I didn't ask to get laid off and even would've taken a pay cut, to prevent it, and told them so - but they woudn't do it, I lost my job and my benefits.

Anyway, I know times are tough, but I've survived by not spending a lot of money, not owning a house or car, not paying interest on credit cards, and not having kids.

2. I for one refuse to work with any big corporation jobs. I rather work local scale employment however there isn't any local business that's hiring. Therefore, I'm basically doing voluntary jobs for now which is helping my friend make a game. Or working on my friend's website, etc. Great experience will bring you high expectancy in long run.

I do rather take the unemployment paychecks over useless jobs.

3. I just had a good friend say the exact same thing today after losing his job

...so if a lot of people aren't working, that must mean there aren't enough meaningful jobs.

oh wait here's an idea- legalize it!

4. I spent a year couch surfing and living off of food stamps while I looked for a job in Seattle before I finally gave up and moved to Colorado to take a "job" as the manager of the trailer park my mum owns. Now, I'm just waiting on SSI.

Well, waiting and hoping I don't get denied two or three times over the next year...

5. I employ a couple of guys under the table while they are also collecting unenjoyment checks. I know several others that have no intentions of going back to work....Obamas either an uniformed or lying asshole, but either way he's an asshole.:smoke:

6. Thank God for the free market.

7. Which is why we should get rid of unemployment benefits and all other federal social programs too.

8. why do i get the feeling that the obama quote went something like this