Obama: Tea Party is Racist

Discussion in 'Politics' started by aaronman, Mar 3, 2011.

1. Obama Says Race a Key Component in Tea Party Protests - US News and World Report

Dude loves maxin out the race card...

2. Hyperbole. I take it the point of the post is how it's wrong to generalize people, and yet you've done more generalizing than the President with your misleading thread title. There is racism in this country, and I'm sure there's some racism in the Tea Party and every other party. There, I said it. Now you will say I just said the Tea Party is racist, like you did to the President.

3. Key: –adjective 34. chief; major; important; essential; fundamental; pivotal: a key person in the company; key industries.

Component: –noun 1. a constituent part; element; ingredient.

4. Read him his rights and book him Postal, good work.

5. I thought about posting a definition of a certain figure of speech in which a part is used to refer to the whole of something. Then I realized simply posting definitions is a weak way to argue.

The President might think racism is a key component in the Tea Party, but that doesn't mean he thinks the whole Tea Party is racist. You just made that up to get attention. For all we know a "key component" can actually constitute a really small amount of votes or voices.

6. Thread format brought to you by

[​IMG]

7. When all else fails, pull the race card. At least people aren't as gullible as they used to be...I HOPE! :)

8. By definition, you're wrong. But if in your mind you are right, good for you! :smoking:

9. Am I racist if I say that racism exists and causes prejudice?

10. So if you won an election by the vote of one racist, you wouldn't consider person a pivotal component to your victory?

11. Straw man all you want...

I'll sit back and watch. :cool:

12. No, you said I was wrong by definition. I looked at the definition and saw I was right, now you're going to sit back and dodge.

13. Racism is a fundamental aspect of the tea party = Tea party is racist /=/ every single member of the tea party is racist.

Nobody's even called Obama racist yet.

14. Well in the article it alludes to him saying that more in correlation with economic reasons, so if you really wanted to spin this negatively toward the President you'd probably want to go with the whole 'failing economy perpetuating racial class division' angle.

15. You just made this up.

Pivotal does not mean essential. Key does not mean fundamental. Specific does not mean general. If words were as meaningless as you suggest, we wouldn't even need one word, and we wouldn't have dictionaries to throw at each other.

16. i will....wanna know why??? Cause everybody is racist! and sexist to boot. inescapable function of sentience. limbic system stuff, can't turn it off any more than you can stop your heart from beating.

now, some people are smart enough...or more accurately cognizant enough not to let it cloud their judgement. but we address the problems of racism much better by stepping up and admitting that EVERYBODY is racist and moving on. but that doesn't play well with the finger pointing and race baiting and other types of divisiveness that our political system counts on to keep the common slob from realizing that the sum total of american politics is a two man con, with us as the all too willing patsy.

17. I'm doubtful just because Obama is usually too careful with his words to say something like that. It was a private dinner though, so I guess you never know.

While it wasn't the politically correct thing to say, and it certainly isn't fair to link the Tea Party as a whole to racism, let's not deny the fact that there are a lot of people out there unhappy with the fact that a black man is the president of this country. Is it politically correct for the president to acknowlege that? No, probably not, but I'm not going to blame the guy for being honest at a private dinner. At least he's not delusional.

Hm, there I go defending Obama again. I guess I'll just sit back and wait for the flaming.

18. :wave:

He does have a history of not being too terribly careful with his words. Remember him addressing a question about his Harvard buddy and the cop? And the resulting beer summit? He first said that he didn't have the facts but still made the determination that the police were wrong and his friend was right. The only key part in the equation that could be construed as racist would be that his friend is a darker shade of human than the cop.

I'm not flaming, I'm just pointing out an instance where either he thinks his friends are always right or there might be something else to the scenario that I can't quite put my finger on...

A matter such as that shouldn't even have been a concern of the President. He should have said "I don't have all the facts and that is not a matter of concern for me as President, it will be and should be handled at a local level by all parties involved."

19. Synonyms for Key: cardinal, central, fundamental, primal

I'm not making this up, Obama thinks racism is a fundamental aspect of anti-Fed protests. :eek::D

It's one thing if he said there are racist elements or undertones or aspects as him and Michelle do in public... but he clearly thinks that racism is a central theme.

That, or he wants other people to think that so as to marginalize dissent.

20. You say the key part of the equation is the color of his friend's skin. My first thought is that the key part of the equation is that he's friends with one of the two. You seem to have skipped an obvious explanation to reach one based on the color of skin. I'm just sayin'.