Obama signs extension of Patriot Act

Discussion in 'Politics' started by dubaba, Nov 3, 2010.

1. WASHINGTON (AP) - President Obama has signed a one-year extension of several provisions in the nation's main counterterrorism law, the Patriot Act.
    Provisions in the measure would have expired on Sunday without Obama's signature Saturday.
    The act, which was adopted in the weeks after the Sept. 11, 2001 terror attacks, expands the government's ability to monitor Americans in the name of national security.
    Three sections of the Patriot Act that stay in force will:
    • Authorize court-approved roving wiretaps that permit surveillance on multiple phones.
    • Allow court-approved seizure of records and property in anti-terrorism operations.
    • Permit surveillance against a so-called lone wolf, a non-U.S. citizen engaged in terrorism who may not be part of a recognized terrorist group.
    Obama's signature comes after the House voted 315 to 97 Thursday to extend the measure.
    The Senate also approved the measure, with privacy protections cast aside when Senate Democrats lacked the necessary 60-vote supermajority to pass them. Thrown away were restrictions and greater scrutiny on the government's authority to spy on Americans and seize their records.

Obama signs extension of Patriot Act - USATODAY.com

CHANGE?

2. #2 QP3, Nov 3, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 3, 2010
    Will the Patriot Act ever go away?

3. Man I hate the USA Patriot Act and let's call it what it really is "Uniting and Strengthening America by Providing Appropriate Tools Required to Intercept and Obstruct Terrorism Act of 2001"

Just a another way for the Federal Government to shit on the Constitution.

:hello:

4. February news belongs in February. :D:smoke:

5. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8E_zMLCRNg]YouTube - Cricket Sound[/ame]

6. Really? My bad someone posted it on facebook and thought this was new as I had not heard of it before.

7. Oh really? Do you wonder why that is? Seeing as how the media and everyone was so vocal about it during the Bush years?

8. Yes I know the media is controlled by liberals, too bad they arent all that liberal or leftist.

9. Glenn Greenwald has been chronocling how Obama is basically Bush 2.0. Where have you been, dubaba? Obama is worse than Bush in the area of civil rights than Bush ever was.

Start reading here, go back at least a year. Oh, and Greenwald is a 'progressive'.

10. Well Ive known he was as bad as bush, but thats not surprising considering there probably controlled by the same people.

11. He's far worse than Bush, sadly. I knew I'd disagree with Obama economically, but I at least expected him to be different than Bush on civil rights :/