Obama says workers should be fired for striking; Supporters cheer

Discussion in 'Politics' started by lilro, Oct 4, 2013.

1. #1 lilro, Oct 4, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2013
  2. #2 Deleted member 472633, Oct 4, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2013
    [​IMG]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=9nhRViM02Mk

3. Way to twist his words.

First of all, he's not saying workers shouldn't be "allowed to" to strike (which implies that he would like to make some kind of rule law against it).  He's also not saying that workers cannot negotiate their contracts - which is what an organized strike is. 

He simply said that if you decide one day that you are just not going to do your job, you would probably get fired. Do you think that is an untrue statement? 

Would your boss "allow you" to just go on strike?  How long do you think that would last? 

4. Yeah but I thought America and modern countries were past the point of having, say, a coalition of miners or teachers just all getting fired for deciding to strike if they have legitimate reasons.

In response to Penny^

5. Me personally, I'm against striking. I think you should be fired if you try to pull that shit. But that wasn't how the left has felt for DECADES. The whole union striking/negotiation thing was like the backbone of the democrat party for quite a while.

6. I myself am not against unions per se. If you  want to and are capable of organizing your fellow workers and can actually whether through a strike or pressure on management increase your wages or whatever you want to accomplish thats fine. You just can't use violence including government violence, just like the company can't use violence on you. The government however should be in no way involved. 

7. From the wording of the article they seemed to be implying that the Washington shutdown is a "strike", which is not true.  

8. I pray to god that OP is never allowed within 50 feet of a voting booth.

9. Shitty, misleading article title by a non credible source.  Nuff said.

10. I guess you didn't click the link. Or are you saying Obama's mouth isn't a credible source?

I did and he didn't say workers shouldn't be allowed to strike.  With such misleading titles, the credibility of this site is in question.  Sounds like biased trash.  However, I agree Obama isn't credible either.  Sadly, very little media and/or public figures have much credibility anymore.

12. #12 lilro, Oct 7, 2013
    To me, it sounds like he said if you attempt to strike, you should be fired.

If that's not what he said, then what did he say?

13. Obama's always admitted to liking Reagan ...

Even if that were true that is not the same thing as saying "workers shouldn't be allowed to strike."

15. Semantics, but I fixed it just for you.

"If you [Republicans] are being disrespected, it is because of that attitude you got. That you deserve to get something for doing your job. Everybody here just does their job, right? If you are working here and in the middle of the day you just stopped and said, 'You know what? I want to get something, but I don't know exactly what I'm going to get. I'm just going to stop working until I got something. I'm going to shut down the whole plant until I get something,' You'd get fired, right? Because the deal is, you've already gotten hired. You've got a job. You are getting a paycheck. And so you also are getting the pride of doing a good job and contributing to a business and looking out for your co-workers. That is what you are getting. Well, it shouldn't be any different for a member of Congress."

Where in this quote is he talking about an organized union strike?

Again, he is clearly saying if you you just decide to stop doing your job, you would be fired.  That is not a false statement.

An organized union strike is a contract negotiation. 

17. Obama is trying to be the new model dictators we've been seeing within Europe recently like Putin , Berlusconi , ErdoÄŸan etc..

18. First of all he was responding to this gem of a comment brought to you by a typical Tea Party member named Marlin Stutzman:

The utter stupidity of that statement is beyond ridiculous. President Obama's comment had nothing to do with striking or addressing workplace grievances. He was specifically targeting the mind set of the Tea Party Representatives who are bringing us to a default and brought about the government shut down. All because of a law already in place and confirmed as constitutional by the SCOTUS.   Not too long ago President Obama empathized and showed support for minimum wage workers and their efforts to protest.  Doesn't sound like a man that wants strikers fired.  

19. Wow. The man said if you worked at the plant behind him (he even pointed to it, no confusion), and you stopped working until you got something (strike - a refusal to work organized by a body of employees as a form of protest, typically in an attempt to gain a concession or concessions from their employer.), you should be fired. He then said Congress should be held to that same standard.

But hey, I guess the messiah can never be wrong. Regardless of how many contradictions he makes. That's how religion works, right?

20. #20 Penelope420, Oct 7, 2013
    Oh the drama.

Dude... he is not a fucking messiah. He does a LOT of things wrong.

All he is saying is that people should do their jobs, and that for most of us, there are consequences when we do not. I don't know who would disagree with that statement or WHY it is even remotely controversial.

I just cannot figure out what line you are trying to draw, or what your point is..

The only point you have made so far is that you think all "Obummer" supports believe in unions, therefore they all believe in union strikes. And if "obummer" supporters believe in union strikes, then that must mean they support the idea of "just not doing your job"

So, if liberals cheer the notion that people should do their jobs, it makes them hypocrites.

Did I get that right?

ETA: Oh wait,, you did actually make a second point. You also believe that if anyone defends Obama's statement, then they view him as a "messiah" or a godlike figure. Does that mean that if people agree with your stance, they view you as a messiah? ;)