Obama says weed no worse than alcohol

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Green Wizard, Jan 20, 2014.

Kind of a stupid argument to continue.  Security alarms are the safest way to protect your home, but they aren't necessary.  A shotgun is much cheaper and will do the job just as well, or a Doberman, even though neither is as safe.  Our society is too damn concerned with what is the most safe and not with what is the most practical.  Regardless of how safe or unsafe cannabis is, it isn't something people have to have, water and oxygen are. 

I get what you are trying to prove, but it seems like a pretty pointless argument.

Then why argue your opinion when I have posted cold hard fact? And if you can point me to a medication that will stop the frequency , intensity and duration of my Cluster Migraines as well as Cannabis has, I'd like to see it.
     Because my Nuerologist and primary physician haven't seemed to be able to in 15 years. So yeah...It is necessary for some people. They call CM's the Suicide Headache for a reason! And that reason is; when I'm in the throws of one of the several I get EVERY day I could care less about Oxygen, water or life in general.

3. I vape. I can't wait to get to a legal MJ state so I can cook with it. I need the help with my blood pressure from years of Big Pharma's idea of what will help me have a better quality of life.....through Pocket Enrichment..........LOL

4. You forgot another type of supporters...the ones that make money from the 'drug war'.  From the drug cartels to local courts.  

5. #45 Thejourney318, Jan 21, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2014
    'Weed is less harmful than alcohol...therefore, I support throwing people who use it into prison, while having alcohol widely advertised everywhere...'

Government logics

6. This really isn't a big deal. People who are anti-marijuana won't be budged from their position no matter how much research or information you put in front of them. They prefer to be in ignorance.

You certainly have the right to be critical. We've all heard alot of double talk on this issue over the years. But with all the recent advancements we've made, with Colorado and Washington being substantial steps forward, and with a first ever majority polling in favor of legalization, there's nothing but optimism looking ahead. Add all that to these latest statements from the President on marijuana. It seems to me like he's trying to extend an olive branch. It's not a stinky sticky bud, but it is an olive branch.

8. I would say its more of him talking about an olive branch. When there is action then he will be extending the branch.

9. #49 RippedMonk, Jan 21, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2014

I understand your point, but I think you get mine.  You are a rarity, most people don't need cannabis to live.  I'm not arguing against you, just pointing out the silliness in arguing the extreme safety of anything.

Edit:  By the way, Psilocybin helps cluster headaches way more than cannabis. 

10. I've thought about it because I've heard it completely kills them, but I have had numerous head injuries and have a touch of the PTSD too, so I'm worried that my short fuse can't handle the trip. I'm comfortable with pain, and indica really helps manage it enough for me to be comfortable. I wouldn't want to be the baked naked guy bouncing off of a cops windshield on tosh.0. Lol.

I know what you are saying about safety. But I love a good debate. Don't tell anyone I said that... I generally don't concede a point ever. But you have to admit, the facts about cannabis are almost as crazy as the bullshit lies the government has sold the public for the last 70 some years.

11. But but, that is progress.  He had to spend 5 years thinking about whether or not to begin talking about how he might be open to changes at some point in the future...hell, maybe even when he's still 'the president'.  So, no the raids won't stop, the schedule 1 stays, well everything is pretty much the same.  But but, don't you see the utter importance of this speech?

12. Its very rare that anything good comes out of the US but sometimes it happens and this is one such happening.
    He is if course right. Weed is not worse than Alcohol when we talk about negative effects of the individual or society at large.

13. By the way, the rest of the world needs to get up from sitting on their hands and looking to see what US is doing with its laws and instead make cannabis legal in their countries like the way Uruguay started to do. You mean to tell me big nations like Russia, many different powerful countries in Europe, Canada, Australia, Asia... Are all under this umbrella that marijuana is still poisonous like once believed? I'm sure these places are wasting billions by still keeping it illegal. We complain about our country but the reality is is that almost everywhere you go weed is still illegal. Why? Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app

14. #54 Magical Wizard, Jan 22, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2014
    Dude, it wasn't until after Obama was elected that states like California and Colorado exploded, and exploited, their MMJ laws. So that link is pointless.

Why isn't Colorado getting the beat down right now? You think Bush would let that shit fly?

16. Hey Obama, if weed is less dangerous than alcohol, and you drink wine/beer at every dinner event you go to, why not light up a bowl?

But seriously, the whole, "If we legalize weed then we'll get legalized cocaine!" argument is the most retarded argument. This is like saying we have to make cancer drugs illegal because people abuse OxyContin. Obama knows that's a stupid argument too, that's the worst part. I'm a libertarian but we all know deep down Obama wants to legalize it.

17. [quote name="foxforcefive" post="19384610" timestamp="1390371029"]Hey Obama, if weed is less dangerous than alcohol, and you drink wine/beer at every dinner event you go to, why not light up a bowl?But seriously, the whole, "If we legalize weed then we'll get legalized cocaine!" argument is the most retarded argument. This is like saying we have to make cancer drugs illegal because people abuse OxyContin. Obama knows that's a stupid argument too, that's the worst part. I'm a libertarian but we all know deep down Obama wants to legalize it.[/quote]Are you referring to the argument people make of.. if we legalized weed,why not legalize other drugs? If so then how does the analogy of making something like chemo, a cancer drug illegal because people abuse OxyContin argument any way related? I don't follow the correlation.

18. #58 foxforcefive, Jan 24, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2014
    Obama said, "If marijuana is fully legalized and at some point folks say, ‘Well, we can come up with a negotiated dose of cocaine that we can show is not any more harmful than vodka."

What I'm saying is that it's a dumb argument on Obama's part to say we can't allow something helpful (weed in real life, cancer drugs in my analogy) because some completely unrelated drug might be allowed/abused (cocaine in Obama's argument, Oxy in mine).

What I'm saying is that legalizing weed has nothing to do with cocaine. People know and have known for some time that weed is nowhere NEAR as dangerous as cocaine - it shouldn't even be uttered in the same breath.

Obama's just trying to come up with a reason why - if marijuana is no worse than alcohol and cigarettes, as he said - we can't legalize it like those two other drugs.

19. #59 Deleted member 472633, Jan 24, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2014
    The only way Obama wouldn't be a hypocrite due to his position is if he reported immediately to the nearest jail cell and demanded to be punished for all the marijuana he bought and consumed as a youth. He supports marijuana remaining a schedule 1 drug fine then Mr. President put your money where your mouth is and take the same punishment you wish to dole out on us!

Oh and P.S. Don't forget to tell the judge to add on some time for the cocaine you also admitted that you consumed. 

20. Don't quote me because it's been years since I heard the following argument from a professor of an international political economy course.  But most evidence isn't exactly "controversial".  Basically agencies, bureaucracies, and benefitted parties that have thrived due to the drug war are in positions to basically extort governments into compliance.  

One example is a country in the Bahamas.  Drug use is incredibly low compared to US.  It does not make sense, moral or financial, for those governments to 'fight' drugs.  However when they are told all those subsidies will be taken away, or embargoes will be used, or etc, these costs are even greater than 'fighting' drugs.  Add on top of that the fact that the sole "super power" has yet to shift in any significant way from criminalized drugs.  Just think of how many people, around the world, do shit because the US 'politely asks' them to.