Obama on Drugs

Discussion in 'Politics' started by HappyMonday, Dec 3, 2008.

1. http://reason.com/news/show/130034.html

Some choice parts of the article:

The good:

If I recall correctly, Obama has also said that he'd end federal raids on medical marijuana dispensaries. So that's good too.

The bad:

So, what can tokers realistically hope for from an Obama Presidency?

2. Generally, I think we can hope for a lot more of the same. He's the status quo and it is frightening that people think otherwise.

Eventually our government will profit off of selling us weed. Its not like they don't already.... but it'll be legal eventually. Patience, the new world order is almost here.

3. Zietergiest, Zietergiest!

4. norml has a good article about this on their front page;

in short, obama will probably expand the war on drugs judging by his flip-flopping on the issue and his cabinet selections.

5. Obama on drugs.
    [​IMG]

6. Obama is on drugs but that don't mean he will give you the freedom to do so.

It's all about control and $$$.

Pursuit of happiness my ass! [​IMG]

7. You can expect the same benefits or so-called improvements that every other Republican/Democrat ever used to improve society.

You're fucked either way; nobody cares about what you want. If there happened to be a decrease in priority of drug enforcement, we could be thankful. But will our diseased society ever make the drastic changes needed to reverse the trends of decay and stupidity brought upon our world via democracy in the past few hundred years?

Nope.

8. I could not agree more, Obama and all this "change" hype is total bullshit. It might be a new face on the man but its still the same old party behind him pulling the strings.

9. .......

10. I tend to stay optimistic... I believe Obama will reschedule the drug, but not in the first year or two of his presidency. There are much more important things to worry about in the eyes of the public than marijuana (that is, if you are looking beyond the total corruption that the NeoCons have introduced into American society following the contras involvement with drugs being introduced into American cities).

Obama is a face of change, especially with his lack of experience... he won't have the deep rooted, evil connections that many of his predecessors have had.

edit: But like Clinton, he may be the face of a "good" guy... and just use a strict Drug Czar as his scapegoat.

11. the only thing obama could do is pass a bill that congress would vote on. its going to take a majority of senators to change the laws on mary jane. and that wont ever happen

12. I may not be American but I dont think you guys should expect change.

Empty promises are empty promises and nothing more.

13. Whose quote is this? Obama's?

14. Hahaha, holy shit!

Thanks for that.. :hello:

15. i actually think marijuana has a good chance of being legalized during obama's term but not becaues of obama

the us government is likely to default on its debt, and when it does that it'll have to massively lower federal spending. if theyre smart, marijuana prohibition will be one of the 1st things they cut

16. Man, Marijuana prohibition is a huge, Goliath-like mother fucker of an industry.

There is one fundamental reason we don't see 'change' in the drug war; BECAUSE ITS WORKING EXACTLY THE WAY IT IS SUPPOSED TO

17. I don't think it will be legalized anytime at all in the near future. Obama is one man alone and their are many others against it regardless of his willingness or unwillingness to decriminalize. Our government is corrupt beyond most peoples knowing...most have no idea about how the war in Iraq has been ran and all the money politicians (mostly republicans) have benefited from the war. Look back in your history books, our democracy is just about finished. We haven't seen the worst yet in our economy, or our "democracy" either.

18. Bitch needs another beating.