Obama - FEDS raid Denver, Boulder Dispensaries

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by stickyglassOG, Nov 21, 2013.

1. That's so f---ed

2. I had also posted this article in another thread

http://blogs.westword.com/latestword/2013/11/marijuana_raids_colorado_dea_irs_denver_police.php

A DEA raid in 2010.
    Updates below: Westword has learned that the federal Drug Enforcement Administration is conducting raids at this writing at multiple marijuana businesses in the Denver area.
    The U.S. Attorney's Office in Denver has issued a statement confirming the ongoing operation, which is being conducted by the DEA in collaboration with the Internal Revenue Service and the Denver Police Department. Our sources tell us it's likely to continue throughout the day and involves a notable number of targets.

The statement -- issued by Jeff Dorschner, spokesman for U.S. Attorney John Walsh, who's been designated to speak for the assorted agencies involved -- is shy of details. Moreover, Dorschner declines to elaborate on it.

U.S. Attorney John Walsh.
    However, we've been told a tip received in the Westword newsroom this morning about forty sites being targeted is too high. A closer estimate: fewer that twenty.
    Dorschner's statement begins like so: "The Drug Enforcement Administration, Internal Revenue Service Criminal Investigations, the Denver Police Department and state and local law enforcement are today executing lawfully obtained search warrants and seizure warrants."

Such actions would seem to contradict a late August memo issued under the name of Deputy Attorney General James Cole, which stated that the federal government would allow states like Colorado to move forward with marijuana laws even if they contradicted federal policy.

This apparent disconnect is addressed in what's described as an "important note" in the statement. It reads: "Although we cannot at this time discuss the substance of this pending investigation, the operation under way today comports with the Department's recent guidance regarding marijuana enforcement matters."

The statement's final word? "As this is an on-going investigation, no additional information will be made available."

The line above does not include an estimate of if or when such info will be forthcoming. But as we learn more, we'll share it with you.

Update number one, 11:15 a.m.: Rumors are flying about targets of the federal raids described above, with reliable sources within the scene citing VIP Wellness among other locations. Also mentioned was Cherry Top Farms, from which the feds took an estimated 2,500 plants back in October 2011 and didn't immediately allow to reopen -- so it's possible this is a reference to the location rather than the original business.

We've also debunked several reports about closures. But we now know that the raids have gone beyond Denver: Swiss Medical in Boulder has also been hit.

However, there's little doubt there's something going on at marQaha, 3896 Morrison Road. Here's a photo that was sent our way.

Update number two, 12:41 p.m.: A Westword staffer just got off the phone with the owner of Swiss Medical, and what he had to say sheds interesting light on the ongoing DEA raids of marijuana operations. According to the owner, the raid was prompted by one person among multiple tenants using its space -- but the plants belong to everyone were seized.

A Cherry Top Farms image from 2011.
    The reason is undoubtedly the same as the rationale for taking all the plants from Cherry Top Farms back in 2011 -- an event noted above. As U.S. Attorney's Office spokesman Jeff Dorschner told us at the time, agents actually followed suspects to Cherry Top Farms, which was in compliance with state rules. But because marijuana remains illegal at the federal level, federal law enforcers are required to seize weed whenever and wherever they encounter it.
    Hence, all the Swiss Medical tenants lost their plants, even though only one of them was on the feds' radar.

Send your story tips to the author, Michael Roberts.

More from our Marijuana archive circa August 29: "Marijuana: Obama administration will not sue to stop Amendment 64."

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app

3. They are fucking bullies, that's what they are.

4. lol you swear obama is strategizing the raids.. he's not a dictator, a president can't get too much shit done on his own 

5. Seems like he's working a way to dictatorship

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app

6. Anyone have any updated info yet? Maybe these were corrupt dispensaries that needed to be shut down but Colorado deserves an explanation.

7. #8 stickyglassOG, Nov 22, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 22, 2013
    apparently some certain dispensaries violated some of the "8 rules of compliance" between the feds and state. If you google this topic you'll find that the IRS were also in on the raids; leading me to think these dispensaries were not complying with the law and mishandling their money somehow.

just goes to show; if you follow the rules, you'll be okay.

8. 'Murica

piece of shits man although it's legal they decide to still mess with it. I wonder how people would react if they raided liquor stores.

Tell that to all the people in Colorado who medicate in public. The rules specifically say no medicating in public...

10. hmmm... I don't anyone was talking about this? but I mean thanks for shitting on everyones parade. 

11. Fuck the feds

You were talking about following the rules at the end of your post.

13. The government seems to be increasingly comfortable with lying to its people.

He can stop them or at least speak out against them if he chooses to.

He sure can but I'm not sure it will happen for awhile, the outreach from the people though is stronger than ever so don't loose hope fellas. The American government is fucked but we have also come a long way in the past 10 years because we the people have fought this absurd oppression, never stop fighting.

16. #17 The Nickatina, Dec 2, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2013

^^^^^^^
    It's the same for any business.  If you don't pay your taxes and such they will shut any business down.  Stoners get all sensitive when they shut down a dispensary, but I'm sure they weren't following the regulations that they should've been.  If you own a restaurant, and can't pass health inspections, etc you will get shut down.  And they do raid liquor stores if they don't have their proper licenses, pay taxes, or anything else that can take a business down.

17. Its a mirror effect. The us gov has been lying for decades, centuries, if you will. I'm not surprised. The dea said not to long ago, that it would not support the states choice. History repeats itself, and all this shits happened before. Déjà vu. The only reason prohibition on mj has managed to last for almost 100 years is because pot smokers are peaceful. Alcoholics though, ha! Sent from my DROID4 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

Cannabis should be legal but let's not make this a cannabis vs alcohol thing. In my opinion, all drugs should be legal and addiction/harm should be treated as a public health problem as opposed to something criminal.

19. I wasn't making it a alcohol vs cannabis thing.. just pointing out history. Prohibition on alcohol lasted what 10yrs? At most.. I agree with it, but that will never happen. Sent from my DROID4 using Grasscity Forum mobile app