Obama Betrays Americans Again…with the “Monsanto Protection Act”

Discussion in 'Pandora's Box' started by seaf0ur, Mar 27, 2013.

1. [​IMG]

Of course, it's hard to honestly expect President Barack Obama to do the right thing, but many people held out hope that he would veto the most dangerous food act ever to pass the US Congress. After all, one of his campaign promises the first time around was to enforce the labeling of GMOs. His wife has that famous organic garden on the White House lawn. We can trust the Obamas, right?

Wrong.

Yesterday, that slender hope, the hope that Obama might finally do something for the good of the people instead of the good of the special interest groups that donate heavily to his campaigns, was dashed. Obama, once again, showed that he is for sale to the highest bidder – and this time that bidder is Monsanto. Despite a petition that garnered over 250,000 signatures in just a few days, he signed the Monsanto Protection Act into law, completely ignoring the wishes of the people. In fact, a press release has not even been issued by the White House to give the impression that the highly successful petition was considered.

Food Democracy Now has not given up the battle, however:

Please take a moment to click the links above and get involved. We've lost the battle, but not the war. I'm personally pledging at least one article per week about Monsanto, their incestuous relationship with the government, and their toxic grip on agriculture. I urge everyone to raise a deafening public outcry – every voice adds to the noise that we can create. Let's make a noise that cannot be ignored.

The Monsanto Protection Act was slipped quietly through the Congress, in the usual devious manner. Officially called the Farmer Assurance Provision, the resolution puts Monsanto, with all their toxins like the cheerfully dubbed Agent Orange and Round-up, as well as their genetically modified monstrosities, beyond the reach of the judicial system. The courts cannot stop the death brokering company from growing crops deemed to be potentially dangerous. (Ummm….that would be ALL OF THEM that have been produced by the Monsanto mad science club.)

If ever there was a company that embodied evil, it would be the Monsanto Company. Last year I wrote about the company:

Horrifyingly, this is just another step towards the science fictionesque predictions that I wrote about.

While most people are constrained by morals, that clearly doesn't apply with Monsanto. Now, they aren't even limited by fear of prosecution.

Pandora's Box is unlocked, Obama just propped open the lid, and there's no way to cram the evil back in.

[​IMG]

Daisy Luther
    The Organic Prepper
    March 27th, 2013

2. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDJ8JMcJ7Ps]I got the rope right here - YouTube[/ame]

3. Now lets look at the facts. :rolleyes: He signed an appropriations bill that is primarily about funding. It was pretty much a veto proof bill in that both houses had more then enough votes to override a veto.

But go ahead and blame your favorite target and fuck real world reporting. :rolleyes:

Last week, with a vote of 318 to 109, the House accepted the Senate's amendments to HR 933. The Senate's continuing resolution bill, formally known as the Consolidated and Further Continuing Appropriations Act, 2013, provides short-term funding to the federal government to the end of the fiscal year.
    Intended to prevent the federal government from shutting down on March 27 when the current funding expires, HR 933 may seem an unlikely target for food activists. However, the trouble is in section 735. Smuggled into HR 933, the provision now being called the “Monsanto Protection Act,” essentially deregulates genetically modified organisms (GMOs) by allowing the U.S. Department of Agriculture to override judicial rulings and grant temporary permits for conventional farmers to plant and grow genetically modified crops while pending review. Previously, a court could suspend the planting and selling of genetically engineered crops if presented with a potential health or environmental risk or if not properly approved by the USDA. However, as legal battles persist, the “biotech rider” protects the ability of large biotech companies including Monsanto, Dow Chemical, and DuPont, to continue business as usual with the USDA's blessing.

This does not mean the end to the fight for labeling. :smoke:

4. This right here.

Also, H.R. 933 will expire on September 30, 2013, and no longer receive funding.

Stop blaming Obama for everything and look up whats actually happening.

Also there is already a thread on this.

5. It's not like we have a choice who is president.

6. Except we do, the only time we got fucked on that was the Bush vs Gore debacle. :smoke:

7. Except we don't, we get to choose from two preapproved puppets.

8. While completely disregarding third parties.....

9. That's part of the process. Wake up the people around you to viable options. Obama was a long shot when he began.

The tea party candidates were just a mixed bowl of nuts, until they got some ground support. Proves that you don't even have to be realistic to get voted in.

The media needs to be fairer about who gets to say a few words too. Overall though, I am pleased with the winner.
    :smoke:

10. There is no process It's just some charade, no different from American gladiators or whatever stupid shit people watch nowadays.

People see that there are people supposedly fighting on their behalf and become complacent thinking there is nothing left to do except send in some support($).

I don't know how the hell obama is a long shot, ron paul was a long shot and the only thing that happened is the people got poorer by funding a fruitless campaign.

11. "10 million dollar budget and 75 employees."

makes sense.

12. what happens when these crops cross pollinate with organic crops or any other crops for that matter....potentially dangerous food could potentially become all food over time.......potentially causing cancer and potentially sky rocketing the chemo industry........................I have just decided to become a cancer doctor specializing in treating cancer, there's no money in curing it

13. Totally fucked up my love of biohazard symbols.

14. Ahh, your missing the point. That was snuck in as a very minor part of the appropriations bill. Look for the supporters of that section, not the President. He had to sign it and it was veto proof in that the votes in both Houses were too great not to overturn a veto.

The main bill is an unsequester the sequester action good until Sep. :smoke:

15. Well that is already happening. Monsanto plants are constantly cross pollintating, or spreading to farms that dont want or never bought monsanto seeds. Monsanto is then suing these farmer for stealing there property even thought the farmers dont want it in the first place.

I think the first thing we need to do to fix congress(other than kick every congressmen out) is get rid of riders. Basically they can add any random fucking provision into a bill, even when it has nothing to do with the original bill. This is how shit likes this gets passed with almost no one knowing.

16. Assumptions, assumptions, assumptions, assumptions . . . . . . .

17. you know what they say about assuming things, it's makes an ass out of you and me

18. yeah I know, that's where I dug up the sarcasm from :D

I know how to fix congress, send them all together to peru to see a shaman for a week

19. ????

Then good job for doing that.