Oaksterdam Raided by DEA

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by maggo, Apr 3, 2012.

1. The renowned Oaksterdam University in Oakland California was raided today April 2nd by the DEA. The DEA chose to break down doors and cart off the administration office computers as well as student files that included their personal information. Of course all the marijuana from seedlings to ready to harvest plants were destroyed. A local councilwoman and Oaksterdam supporter questioned the DEA's motives in an interview with a local television broadcaster asking why the federal government did not go to a city or town that asked for enforcement help, rather than a community that accepted medical dispensaries.

2. The IRS were also involved and they arrested Richard Lee. I haven't heard what's happened to him yet or if there was any legitimate reason at all for the raid.

3. They raided Richards home and took personal files as well. He was released after his arrest. As for a "legitimate reason" for his arrest, the DEA isn't talking nor is the IRS. The regional DEA director wheeled out her boiler plate comment that they (the DEA) was only going after criminals making "huge illegal profits and selling drugs near schools" which is pure bullshit. I think a raid on Oakland's and the states largest clinic Harborside will be happening soon.

4. They are a school. That is like arresting felons for consorting with themselves.:confused:

5. Such bullshit.

It's sad how these officers probably enjoyed And joked while busting.

Karma will get these dea assholes.

6. Fucking communist pig

7. Who??

8. just a little note on that. It was reported that one of the DEA agents roughed up a number of those protesting their actions which lead to a couple of the protesters kicking his ass. Of course they were quickly arrested. I heard on a radio report that an agent roughed up a reporter who had identified himself as such, and this is what led to the scuffle that got the agent beaten. I'm not sure which story is correct. But I am proud of whomever gave the agent a pounding and hope that they are released without charge, although that is doubtful when you consider the historic vindictive nature of law enforcement agencies.

9. On Monday, April 2, my school — Oaksterdam University in Oakland — was raided by the DEA, IRS, and US Marshals. Oaksterdam provides training to the medical cannabis industry, and is fully compliant with state and local law.

President Obama promised at the beginning of his administration to respect state medical marijuana laws. He has broken this promise time and time again — and the consequences have been devastating.

This was a senseless act of intimidation. But I’ve been an activist far too long to become intimidated — and with the majority of Americans and common sense on our side, I know this is a fight we can win.

With our government trillions in debt, why is our government using taxpayer dollars to come after me, Oaksterdam, and the thousands of patients who need medical marijuana just to get through the day?

Tell President Obama and the DEA: Enough is enough. Keep your campaign promise, and stop the raids on the medical cannabis industry!
    - Richard Lee

Take a minute and sign Richard Petition;

https://www.change.org/petitions/stop-the-medical-marijuana-raids

10. in an earlier post I reported that Richard Lee, founder of Oaksterdam had been arrested in the raid. I stand corrected, Richard was detained but not arrested. Charges have yet to be filed against him. Sorry I got that wrong.

11. I doubt he'll even have charges filed. They knew what they were doing, they just wanted to put a massive dent in their program, and they succeeded, but they haven't won, and they won't. I'm sure this sin't the first time this man has had to deal with things of this nature, but I'm sure they weren't on this scale. Either way, he'll bounce back.

Seriously, you're gonna raid the business of a man in a wheelchair, who is doing his shit legal, taxes and all, and this is how you thank him for following the laws?

America, Fuck you.

12. I fear your wrong about Richard not being charged. In previous high profile cases people like him are rarely charged right at the time of the raid. This tactic gives the Feds time for the issue to fade from the media headlights. Then they arrest and charge. I believe that they will do this at the time of another high profile raid. You can be sure that he will be charged as he was instrumental in funding and leading a ballot measure to fully legalize marijuana for adult recreational use that got 46% of the vote. They don't have a plan to contend with a state that fully legalizes and will be sure to charge and imprison anyone who might be capable of bringing that about.

13. True, It's sad really.Juts fucking sad.

14. yes it is, so I guess the next question is if the DEA offices should be surrounded by protesters yelling at and taking pictures of all who enter and leave.

Marching around the public streets with signs while the media films is a worthless tactic. But If the DEA agents had to confront pissed off citizens every morning as they arrived for duty at their operations center and if their big shots in suits got jeered as they arrived at their offices, it might give them a taste of the fear and loathing their policies instill in us. If they started pushing around the protesters as they are most sure to do, the media play would be terrific.

15. ya when you going to start?

16. With all that is going on in the world recently I feel like it's time that the people of the US stand up to their government. Our congressmen and women are being bought by corporations, and the elite (like the Koch brothers) are allowed to contribute as much money as they want to campaigns without any disclosure. Our government is getting more and more corrupt by the day.

17. Ironically, it will take a violent protest for us to get anywhere. They don't care about peace, because they only push us by. I'm all for peace, but sometimes you NEED to fuck shit up to get some attention.

Anyone remember that protest at your town hall?
    Anyone remember the Watts Riots?

My point exactly. If we followed in the footsteps of our cousins around the world and actually stood up for something instead of typing behind a computer screen, we could actually get somewhere.

18. history does show that violence can at times have great value, along with great consequence.

be careful what you ask for

yes, and Kent State, and the 68 Democratic Convention

the French and the Greeks are good at it
    however considering our new security / anti-terror laws, a lot of brothers and sisters will wind up doing time, are you ready for that? I have been a guest of the government and it ain't what you would call a good time.

19. Understood, but we have to do something. The current isn't working, and I'm not just talking about cannabis legalization. Sure new terror laws make it harder, and I don't want to go to prison anymore then the next person, but it's going to be an anarchy that ends up happening. Government has gone too long without listening to the people who keep them in power. They need to realize, with out us, they are nothing. They can't fight wars without us, they can't run the country without us. The people need to wake up and realize this. many do, but they don't at the same time. I hate being all talk, the reason why we don't get anywhere is people people are afraid of Government. This is a bit of a cliche, but Government should be afraid of us. And they will be in the future if they keep treating us like this.