Oakland Poll Shows Strong Support for Legalization of Marijuana

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by RMJL, Sep 19, 2004.

1. Newsbrief: Oakland Poll Shows Strong Support for Legalization of Marijuana

9/17/04

http://stopthedrugwar.org/chronicle/354/oakland.shtml

press release from California NORML, http://www.canorml.org

A new poll conducted by David Binder Research shows unprecedentedly strong support for legalization of marijuana among Oakland voters.

The poll was commissioned by the campaign for Measure Z, the Oakland Cannabis Initiative, which would make private adult marijuana offenses the lowest enforcement priority and put the city on record in favor of taxed and regulated marijuana sales. Out of 400 likely voters, 65% said they were inclined to support Measure Z.

Surprisingly, the poll found that 70% of voters believe marijuana should be legalized, the largest margin for legalization ever recorded in any poll. A somewhat smaller majority, 64%, said marijuana should be decriminalized. Because of the sample size, the difference may not be statistically significant.

Only 18% of voters felt that legalizing marijuana would lead to increased use of "hard" drugs, while 61% felt that legalization would separate marijuana from the illicit market and discourage access to hard drugs. In addition, 73% of voters agreed that the drug war has been ineffective, costly and racist.

"This marks a turning point in public opinion," commented California coordinator Dale Gieringer, campaign chair of Measure Z. "Until now, the 'L-word' has been considered to be political poison. Drug warriors have sought to stigmatize their opponents as 'legalizers.' Now it turns out this label may be a compliment. Oaklanders have come to recognize that marijuana prohibition is bankrupt, and as with alcohol, the only sensible policy is legalization."

http://stopthedrugwar.org/chronicle/354/oakland.shtml

2. I wanted so badly to go to that Measure Z kickoff barbeque. That would have been really. really. cool.

3. Wow 70% think that herb should be legalized? thats great! legalizing marijuana could probley increase other drugs on the streets, but we will never know until they do. I think its really reat that people are getting to understand the truth about legalizing marijuana... its a touchy feeling :)

4. That is great. Legalization would be great. It would lower prices because it would eleminate the black market and you wouldnt have to get it from shisty dealers who might rip you off, you would know you were getting good smoke because it would be regulated by the govt, it would probably cause a decrease in crime, and it would also bring in alot of money.

I think if it was legal, it wouldnt increase other drug usage at all. I would rather go to the store and buy some pot and smoke it than try to get other drugs illegaly. Alcohol is what causes me to want to do harder drugs lol. I have coke, but when iget drunk it seems i always want to do some lol.

5. How would legalizing pot increase other drug use on the street??? you mean like they will create 'extasy II' or something.... I mean you can get almost ANY drug on the street now... how will it get worse....

Personally, I am disappointed that many potsmoker still feel they are evil or something... and many feel that they really do belong in a jail... and later on in life when these folks get older, they quit pot, then they end up HATING pot smokers... and blaming them for all the problems, etc...