oakland approves plan to license medical marijuana farms

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by farmerjane, Jul 21, 2010.

1. #1 farmerjane, Jul 21, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2010
    howdy blades!

not sure if everyone saw this article or not. it popped up on my goggle news at work but i had to dig for it by the time i got home.

http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking-news/ci_15566683?nclick_check=1

im not sure what i think about this yet....seems like our govt is just looking for a way to get their hands on some more mmj generated tax dollars.

im looking forward to hearing what everyone else thinks!

2. Finally, we are thinking about growing a crop other than CORN!!! :hello:

But seriously folk, just imagine if America became known as a country who's government supported marijuana as an official crop. I know almost nothing of marijuana legality in other countries, but wouldn't this be a first? Or at least a second.

Back to the topic at hand, that is still a lot of fee money.

3. I think alot of people were upset that it would fail to legitimize fully the actions of the people who have been working so hard to build this all up and in turn reward a small group of people by giving them the right to supply the majority of the weed.

Also, consumers were noted as bitching about the notion that quality and diversity of the product would be reduced.

But either way, mo weed = mo betta.

4. Guys, the momentum is building. I can feel it in my legs. We can change the draconian laws that have defined us for a majority of the past century.

5. In marketing the grows,the farms will have to produce quality to compete with the future recreational outlet around the corner.
    Dispensaries are going to have to compete in an open market and if a dispensary sells less then the best they will lose their customers. The mass production of medical marijuana and recreational marijuana by different big producers,competing for the maximum amount of market profits,will research the demands and requirements to succeed.
    I believe industrialization will improve the market.

6. I think if some countries are going to make money selling the US heroin, or cocaine or disgusting brick weed and that if there's going to be a huge opium trade in the world and if some countries have pharmaceutical companies that are all profiting of the US that it only makes sense for us to get in on the game economically.

I mean, it's funny how you hear all the hype about how the marijuana industry is like 25b a year. Well then why the fuck not incorporate it into the legitimate economy?

7. Hey, if we want to throw a huge fuck you to the government, might as well beat them at their own game.

8. New Awesome jobs on the way:hello::smoking:

9. Alot of people are really antsy about this and i can see why. I'm on the fence on it. On one hand I hate big business and it disgust me that they want a hand in this but at the same time this is progression and the city needs this. So I'm really passive about it.

Happy and confused lol

10. Ive heard that the city attorney's office may be a little unclear as to how the DEA might feel about this, but they're not really talking about that too much. A 2 football field long grow show may be viewed a little differently than a small dispensery.

11. Also, hmm. While we are fighting cannabis legalization, why not fight to legalize the production of hemp too? We have enough weed, we dont really need large fields of it.

12. Don't bet on the farms having to produce quality for competition. Their will always be people who cant afford $3,500 pounds

People still drink piss beer cause its the cheapest they can get

13. Here is the only thing that scares me about this whole thing:

"Those vying for one of the four licenses would have to pay $211,000 in annual permit fees, carry $2 million worth of liability insurance and be prepared to devote up to 8 percent of gross sales to taxes."

- NPR via Associated Press on July 21
    Oakland Votes To Permit Large Marijuana Farms : NPR

Now ,if Prop 19 follows suit in the same way, only a few select corporate cartels will have the "privillige" of cultivating Marijuana for sale on a large scale. How is this tax restriction any better than some of the large monopolies from the turn of the 20th century?

My biggest concern is that all of the small business operators will be left hanging out to dry... or those that are looking to enter the "industry" wiill be able to do so.

If local governments are going to be charging $211k for someone to grow weed, isn't that considered "anti-competitive conduct" or a law that stifles "fair market compettion"?

Just interested to hear what people might have heard or information regarding Prop 19 details regarding startup fees.

14. "Don't bet on the farms having to produce quality for competition. Their will always be people who cant afford $3,500 pounds"

The price won't be $3500 a lb. The price is unknown until an open market is established and the supply and demand rules start to apply. And since each city can set the taxes,
    who knows if they will have the sense to keep taxes low enough to discourage homegrowers. That is the only control we have over the market,when the producers,retail points and taxes get too high,people will grow their own.

15. If enough of the smaller growers got togeather and formed a larger company then they would not be totally left out.

Get the laws passed first and then go back and file suits against the city or who ever.

I would be fileing a suit that says "Show me a corn, wheat, pig, cow etc etc etc that has to pay 211,000 a year" to operate after the laws have been passed.

Oakland approved the License which is suppose to take effect Jan 2011. The reason for this is cause they want to see what Prop 19 does.

16. Your right, the price wont matter, the point I was making was no matter what the price is, there will always be someone willing to pay for inferior weed if they can get it dirt cheap.

No matter how high or low the price is, some poeple will want to control what they smoke and grow their own.

Prop 19 would allow a 5x5.... Hell a couple seeds in my back yard in that 5x5 and let mother nature do her part and I dont really see how commercial growers could offer it to me cheaper to buy then grow

17. #19 oltex, Jul 22, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2010
    The cities may try to start out with outrageous fees and taxes but if the laws of supply and demand removes the profits in marijuana the cities will have to get competitive with other towns fees and taxes. If the city goes to high,the growers will just move to where they are more reasonable,when the cities see that greed is not the answer they will lower their rates or their citizens will be traveling to the nearest town with more reasonable rates to buy their marijuana and bolstering up tax revenues in that city instead of their own.

I figure you can grow 4 large plants in a 5X5 if the measurement is from stalk to stalk and not drip line to drip line. Drip line being the outer perimeter of the plant. If Tx adopts the same size grow area as Ca
    I will grow 1 indica,1 sativa and two mixed,such as bubblicous or maybe northern lights.

18. #20 MVRIDER, Jul 22, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2010
    a law that leagalizes mj, and opens up great business opportunities....for some.

That's my major gripe against 19, and the city coincil decision. They're both crafted by wealthy businessmen ( Lee and Wilcox) who are in a pretty good position to completly monopolize the market before it's even there yet. The rich just keep getting richer.

Poorly written legislation is bad legislation, every Californian should vote no on 19.