O.K. How Much Space Will A 600 Watt Hps Cover?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by maverick45710, Dec 25, 2009.

1. There seems to be alot of different opinions on how much area a HID light will actually cover. What I have found is a 600 Watt Hps will cover a 5ft X 5ft area max. Does anyone have first hand experience with this?

2. i know soon as i reply someone will pop up and disagree but from my personal experience with 6oow lights I would say they best illuminate a 4x4 area about 4 or 5 ft off the ground. anything outside that is just extra light only you and i can see but not very good light for mj. but alot can make your dimensions different. the style of hood your using, how high off the floor your lights are.....etc..... so there is my 2 cents, dont have a phd on it just an opinion :) be safe. keep tokin :smoking::smoking::smoking:

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. also im not saying that you should hang your light that high either. you want them as close to the canopy obviously but as far as area map that is what i believe to be your maximum dimensions for a 600w light :D

4. I just dont understand that everyone will tell you something different, the lighting manufacturer, friends, about everyone on GC says something different. I reaserched as much as I could before I started my grow and got many different answers. When I was light shopping they said a 600 watt would cover a 6x6 and a 1000 watt would cover 8x8. I have heard that is not accurate and I dont agree either. I was just wondering what people actually thought about light coverage.

5. IMO a 600w will cover a 6x6 area.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. With HID target a minimum of 50 watts per square foot of covered area, that gives you a max of 12 sq ft coverage.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. the light from a 600w system may very well cover a 6x6' area depending on how it's measured. i think what needs to be determined is the coverage for maximum yield, which is likely less than what manufactures and sales people will claim. most reputable information that i've read states 5'x5' for a 600w system, i think that like most things in growing you'll have to form your own opinion after actually using & testing equipment. :smoking: don chetto

• Like Like x 1
  8. If using a vented hood and keeping your light about 18" of the tops it covers a 4x4 very well... I like to keep a bit closer so it starts dropping off a bit on the edges... but still good coverage.

9. I have a 4 1/2 X 4 1/2 now and my 600 Watt seems to be doing well but time will tell when they fill out. How tall can I go and still be able to get good light to my plants and will I have to use supplemental lights if they are over a certain height? If I was ever to upgrade to a 1000 watt what would be the ideal coverage? 6 x 6 or 6 1/2 x 6 1/2 something like that? Again the light manufacturer claims 8ft X 8ft which I dont think it would cover that size of an area.

10. 50 per sqft, so a 600 watt will cover 12 sqft ideally, a 3x3. Mine is 4x5 with added 600 true watts of led. I had 1 600 in a 5x5, didnt like the coverage... [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

11. Yeah I was looking at the posts thinking people are a little overestimating. It depends on your hood. An open hood 600 can do 4x4 but not well. 600's are best vented hood in a 3x3.

12. Keep in mind you dont have to fill up the 4x4. But you can use the space, tirn your plants daily etc etc.....

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

13. I had my 600 in a 5x5 and , vented, glass, yada yada, and no way would it cover the entire footprint, I easily could have rocked 2-600's in there, I k is folks who run 1000's in 4x4's
    I agree with whoever said a 600 would cover an entire 3x3 nicely

Booms summer scrog series:)

Boom4200 winter spring SUMMER grow journal

14. I got a 1000 watt in my 4x4x6.5 tent ;)

• Like Like x 1