NYC's Bloomberg and the Snow Disaster!

Discussion in 'Politics' started by garrison68, Dec 29, 2010.

1. #1 garrison68, Dec 29, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2010
    The hatred directed at NYC's Mayor Bloomberg is getting more intense every minute, with very good reason.

Bloomburg is telling us to take in a Broadway show, while there's over 300 buses stuck, including cars, trucks and yes, even abandoned 100 AMBULANCES! Many of the subways aren't running. People have died as a result of not getting emergency help.

The side streets are completey impossible. People are calling for the resignaiton of the head of the NYC Dept. of Sanitation. Maybe Bloomberg is hanging out in Dubai, where his company Bloomberg LP, is making a killing. This refusal to even acknowledge the problem with snow removal must be his payback to the residents of NYC for not rallying together enough to support his efforts to push the Ground Zero Mosque (and of course the positive PR for Bloomberg LP in the MidEast press as a result). I hope they ream this guy at the Jan. 10th hearing that is coming up - Even his own yes-men and women are speaking up and expressing their opinions that it was a disaster.

http://www.observer.com/2010/politics/knives-comes-out-bloomberg-snow-removal-efforts

Bloomberg is a lame duck, so we can't even have the satisfaction of voting him out in the next election.
    Chastened Bloomberg fights to save reputation after string of snow-removal snafus

Here's a picture of a typical street in Brooklyn, under that an Avenue in Brooklyn, and below that is East 79th Street in Manhattan where Bloomberg lives. Parts of Queens and Staten Island were probably even worse.
    [​IMG]

Brooklyn the day after the storm, Monday, a thoroughhfare - still very bad as of today, Tuesday:

[​IMG]

And finally, Mayor Mike Bloomberg's block, nicely cleaned and maintained:
    [​IMG]

2. sounds like a job for

[​IMG]

open a snow shoveling service

3. Hahaha @ Mr. Plow

Never snowed once at my house in all 23 years.

Gotta love Scottsdale Arizona.

4. Bloomberg Takes Blame for Response to Snowstorm

By Patrick McGeehan New York Times

Published: December 29, 2010

Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg accepted responsibility Wednesday for the city’s response to a crippling snowstorm, pledging to have every street plowed by morning and then to figure out why his administration’s cleanup efforts were inadequate.

Speaking at a hardware store in the Hunts Point section of the South Bronx, Mr. Bloomberg said he was “extremely dissatisfied” with the performance of the city’s emergency management system. He said the response was “a lot worse” than after other recent snowstorms and was not as efficient as “the city has a right to expect.”

More here:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/30/nyregion/30snow.html?partner=rss&emc=rss

5. He seemed overly confident before, then tries to save face. Goes to wonder how NYC would handle other kinds of emergencies. Bloomberg is obviously profits and face over people. His remark about Broadway plays and tourism are yet another display of how out of touch he is with the common man in the City.

6. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kt_r-jO3lKE]YouTube - NY's Dumbest; NYC sanitation workers destroy a Ford Expediton[/ame]

Enjoying paying your taxes to these workers?

Fuck govnerment workers. Full of DUMBASSES.

7. Another wonderful result of liberalism.

8. if only the NYPL president was the mayor

9. #9 garrison68, Dec 31, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2010
    There's reports that members of the NYC Sanitation Dept. union urged their people to cause a slowdown in the snow removal, as a reaction to Bloomberg's budget cuts. From what we saw, they didn't even show up and when they finally did, the little they were doing was a half-assed job - only removing the top layers of snow. This was the sixth largest snow fall in NYC's history, and should have been treated as the emergency situation that it was - not as a chance to join tourists on Broadway as our illustrious mayor recommended.

Pete Vallone, Jr., Chair of Public Safety in NYC, has called a special hearing to investigate this, on Jan. 10 2011. Vallone is one of the few decent men in the political world, that I know of.

OK, I can hear the libertarians saying to privatize - well, in this instance, a few blocks in a Brooklyn neighborhood did hire some guys and they did a great job - next year they'll be people with plows waiting for the snow to hit some well heeled neighborhoods, so that they can earn extra money in the event of another screw up by the Sanitation Dept.

The transit authority did not keep trains running at all times during the storm, which caused the tracks to become impossible to use for a few days.

10. Yay, unions!

11. What a cluster fuck!

12. :laughing:

13. Bloomberg is just another billionaire from Massachusetts. He is the 10th richest person in America, with a net worth of $18 billion in 2010.

They're saying that this snow disaster will kill his chances of ever being president.

14. This is such a clusterfuck! I feel for all you new yorkers who have to put up with this bullshit on a day to day basis. I honestly think that a bunch of toddlers could do a better job running shit than these goons

but on a happier note, phish didn't cancel their shows at MSG :hello:

15. Liberalism you say...:confused:

How is liberalism to blame ?

16. I believe he's referring to the union slow down that was perpetrated as a result of union cry babies mad about budget cuts. Unions are arguably of the liberal ideology therefore liberalism is to blame. :)

17. #17 SmokinP, Dec 31, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2010

Or Bloomberg and his penny pinching budget cuts went too far ?
    He would not bring workers in on Xmas Day to save on the O/T...

From what i have read NYC department bosses are denying rumors that a "slow down" was in operation that seems to be coming from one of Bloomberg's fellow GOPites City Councilman Dan Halloran..

Damage limitation perhaps ? Blame the workers for Bloomberg's own fuck up ?

18. There was no need to put workers on OT on Xmas Day as the storm did not start in New York until Sunday afternoon, the day after the holiday.

I think that BOTH Bloomberg and Sanitation union members are to blame.

19. lol wut?

20. Bloomberg is the man, he has done excellent reforms.