NY Times: Two governors Ask US to Ease Rules on Marijuana

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by min7b5, Nov 30, 2011.

1. I ask myself everyday how companies can patent this and that. I don't understand how companies like monsanto can patent nature by genetically modifying seeds. Our government is run by corrupt people and wouldn't surprise me if they approved patents. I mean does the patent on cannabinoids have any effect of people producing their own plants if it ever gets legalized? To answer your question, I don't know honestly. I just know people are greedy and would do such a thing.

2. #22 oltex, Dec 3, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2011
    who cares,,do you have any idea how many strains of marijuana are growing just in closets across America today?

stealth growing tech has really opened up "homegrown"

3. I care if a patent on cannabinoids stops people from growing. I care that its illegal to consume or grow cannabis.

4. the only way Monsanto can get you for growing their patented seeds, is if you sell the produce

5. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2P1CJ7IEt0c]Food, Inc. Monsanto control 90% of US soybean - YouTube[/ame]

6. #26 oltex, Dec 4, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2011
    exactly as I said,,only if you use their genetics to produce a crop to sell are they able to tell when your plants are from their seeds. They catch it in the market,,not on the farm.

That means you could grow Monsantos top of the line twotokesandyourblind kush bannana split and as long as you did not market it,,who would know,,so bring it on Monsanto.

7. They didn't use their genetics, it was the pollen that mixed in with their crops. At first they said Monsanto owned 2% of soy beans but because mother nature does its thing it is now 90% and it is illegal to clean your seeds... and they do catch them on the farms. That documentary showed farmers getting sued by monsanto and losing their farms because of this. This is just an example of how fucked up a corporation and our government is.

Again, maybe its just me being paranoid but this companies action have led me to think this way.

8. you still don't get my point and I don't know how to explain it to you.

I could care less if people selling marijuana get in trouble because their plants pick up pollen from Mansanto as long as people growing their own don't.

Patents on anything do not matter if you ain't selling it.

9. #30 wanderingway, Dec 4, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2011
    I do get your point and hope it would be that way but I really have lost faith in my country to not be able to sue people for growing "whatever" for private use and possibly contain some genetic from a patented seed. That documentary shined a lot light in my eyes because I never hear of shit like that and got me to open my eyes and see how we civilians are losing more and more rights everyday. I wouldn't put it past a company like monsanto suing a person like us for growing for personal use. I wouldn't put it past my country for allowing it to happen. That is all I am saying. Hypothetical, definitely, but possible? I hope not but who really knows.

I think the "patents don't matter if we aren't selling it" is false because they would still lose business and is grounds for a lawsuit. I'm not trying to have a debate or argument over it saying you are wrong (I am not saying you are wrong), I'm just saying I think things like this could happen and wouldn't put it past my government. Just my thoughts.

Edit: I found this from wiki on patent

10. I think all oltex is trying to say is that as long as you don't get caught, it doesn't matter who has patented what. It's much more difficult to get caught growing than it is to get caught selling.

My opinion on this whole issue is that we simply do not want cannabis rescheduled. A rescheduling will likely lead to more regulations and less access, eventually leading to less users and supporters for legalization. I say either deschedule it or keep it illegal.

11. He was saying that as long as you don't sell cannabis after you grow it that it wouldn't infringe on the patent, but with patent, you don't have to just sell it to break the law. I agree with the rescheduling remark. I think rescheduling may hurt or even kill legalization. We can't just settle. Cannabis is unjustly illegal and people need to be reminded that they have every right to consume cannabis. We have the right to grow and use hemp. If 50+ percent of the United States population want legalization and the government doesn't listen, that proves that democracy no longer exists in our country.

12. Regardless of the eventual outcome of this, I would recommend that every proponent of ending cannabis prohibition read the petition they submitted.

It is a 106 page document, but only the first 43 pages contain the actual argument; the remainder consists of references.

The argument is a really good summarization of many studies done on cannabis use, including its value as a medicine, its relative safety, and its impact on society in general. The argument debunks many popular Reefer Madness myths such as "amotivational syndrome", addiction, aggressive/violent behavior, and detrimental effects on motor vehicle operation.

For all of those people who post threads looking for pro-legalization information this document is a pretty good place to start.

13. If a company is able to create a specific strain, they should have that right to patent it. They can't just blanket patent marijuana.

Can you imagine what US companies would be able to create in terms of high quality marijuana? I bet it would blow our minds.

I see some type of national change happening within the next 10 years.

14. Did you watch that video clip? In the beginning Monsanto owned 2% of soybean because of their genetically modified seed. Now since mother nature does her work, their strains were blown on to other farmers crops and now own 90% of the soybean industry.