NY Purple Haze's noob growing thread

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by NY Purple Haze, Jun 14, 2009.

1. #1 NY Purple Haze, Jun 14, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2009
  2. #2 The Green Man, Jun 14, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2009
    They look pretty good.

There are a few things you could fix. It looks like they are stretching a bit. What kind of lights are you using and how far away are they? If your using cfls then they need to be at least 2 inches from the tops. I would put more soil in those containers to give your plants more support. Also if you get a slight breeze on them that will help strengthen the stems.

Another thing is you should fill those containers to the top with soil as this will give roots more vertical room to grow. I hope those containers are light proof, they kinda look like they aren't. If they are even a little bit you need to cover them up with something or paint them so no light gets through otherwise it will kill the roots. You'll also need a few drainage holes in each cup.

Im guessing its your first time growing, if not sorry for the unnecessary info lol.

Good luck on the grow bro. :smoke:

3. thanks for the info! yes, this is my 1st grow. im doing these plants outside so they are getting natural sun and water. ive been gradually filling the cups up with more soil as they are getting bigger. and what do you mean about light proof cups? should i move them to a different type of container?

4. You mean you hope they are light proof. You don't want light getting to your roots. And yes drainage holes in the pots.

5. hmmm, dont know how im gonna get drain holes into the cups... guess ill have to drill, unless transplanting them will be better...?

6. Duh typo my bad lol. :smoking:

Yea I meant I hope they are light proof lol.

7. just went out and filled up all the cups to the top with soil and watered them. also drilled 3 small holes in the bottom of each cup and wrapped blue paintered tape around each cup just to make sure. thanks for everyones help.

8. Well you could transplant if you want, that would be easier then trying to drill holes in a cup that has a plant in it lol. The no drainage holes do pose a problem. Your water will sink to the bottom and sit there and stagnant, inviting mold and root rot. Make sure when you transplant them that you make full use of your container for vertical root growth by filling it to the top with soil.

9. see my post above yours. :smoke:

10. lol sorry wasn't there when I went to right my answer lol.

Good luck on the grow bro, if you have any other questions feel free to hit me up. :smoking:

11. just one question really... at this stage, should i be giving the plants anything other than water and sunlight?

12. Nope, they are to young for nutes. I would wait till the first leaves, or the cotyledon, start wilting and falling off, thats always a good sign they are ready.

13. what should i do for lighting? at the moment im just using sunlight.

14. anyone? searched a bit, but couldnt get a clear answer to what im looking for.

15. What kinda lights are you using?

Those look stretched. If your using cfls or fluros they need to be an inch to 2 inches away. Also if you get a fan lightly blowing on them that will help strengthen up the stems a bit. You can also transplant and bury a few inches of stem to help give it support.

16. thanks for the response. theyve only been inside for a couple days bc i saw a small hole in 1 of the leaves and got paranoid. for right now, im just using a plain 60w bulb and the light is about 2-3 inches away. i have a fan blowing on them, thats why i put supports up, just to be sure.

17. Is it a cfl or just a regular incandescent bulb? Cause the second one won't work.

18. not sure. i think the second. i guess ill have to change that. it seemed to be doing the job the few days ive had it like this. btw, is stretching bad?

19. Yea stretching is bad. You want your plant to have close internodes making it short and bushy. When mine were that big I had a lot bushier plant and a lot more leaves and bud sites, that was with the proper lighting. Once you get the right lights those things will take off like crazy dude. Check out Kamels guide for what to do with lights, cause Im guessin you don't want anything huge. http://forum.grasscity.com/general-indoor-growing/122824-kamels-cfl-guide.html

20. thanks. they are going outside eventually. so thats why i didnt think the light source for the time being mattered much.