NY lotto numbers are 9 1 1 on 9/11!

Discussion in 'General' started by sensimil, Sep 12, 2002.

1. did anyone else hear about this???!?! no jokE!!!!! talking about WEIRD.

U.S. National - AP

N.Y. Lottery Drawing Pops Up 9-1-1
    Thu Sep 12, 7:43 AM ET

ALBANY, N.Y. (AP) - On the anniversary of the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks, a date often repeated as 9-11, the numbers that popped up for the New York Lottery were 9-1-1.

"The numbers were picked in the standard random fashion using all the same protocols," said Lottery spokeswoman Carolyn Hapeman. "It's just the way the numbers came up."

Lottery officials expected to know late Thursday morning how many people picked those numbers and how much they won, Hapeman said.

She said the number of winners must be high because the 9-1-1 combination reached the lottery's set limit for combinations and sold out. On any given day, seven to 10 sets of numbers are "closed out," she said.

Geoff Cook, a clerk at an Albany-area convenience store, said he sold 20 to 25 tickets with those numbers.

But another Albany-area clerk, Farzad Khosravi, said people seemed reluctant about betting, and possibly winning, on tragedy.

"I think some people were disgusted with the idea of playing that number because it represents a black day in the history of America," he said.

For the evening drawing, the state lottery uses numbered balls circulating in a machine. When three levers are pressed, three balls pop up into tubes randomly. Hapeman said Wednesday was the first time in more than a year that the 9-1-1 combination came up.

2. At first I thought this reeked of urban legend. But after a little searching at www.snopes.com I found this: http://www.snopes.com/rumors/lottery.htm
    Scroll towards the bottom of the article, at first it's talking about something different, but there's a little update towards the end.

3. ^^^^ Ah, a fellow fan o' snopes.com. I've been going there for years, it has got to be one of the most entertaining sites I know of.

4. Hmm.... that sort of points me in the direction of *fixed as a patriotic gesture...*

Sorry to all the Americans who take offense at this:

IF I HAVE TO ACT LIKE I FEEL SAD ON 9-11 EVERY YEAR I'M GONNA FUCKING SCREAM!!!!

5. Delta 9, I agree whole heartedly, yes, 9/11 sucked and it's popular to be sympathetic and 'patriotic' at the moment. I've never done anything just because it's popular. Although I also try to make a point of not avoiding things just because they're popular.

6. Thats a good sign that luck is with them in NY!

7. Oh, I didn't "act sad" because it was "popular"... I didn't really act sad at all. But I don't like arguing with some of these people at my school.... this girl I know was crying today... she said it was "the right thing to do"...

bullshit.....

I just keep quiet on occasions like this because my opinions often offend people. I hate widespread mourning. *yuck*

8. I heard almost 15,000 people have turned in wwinning tickets, .... that's about $330 a head BEFORE taxes.

9. aw budhead thats awesome! lol I didnt even look at it that way ;) just as odd.. huh!

10. If 15,000 people had that number, it had to be an uplifting experience don't you think? There must have been a lot of karma sent that way!!!!!

11. I actually saw something about this on 'CNN' (which I don't suggest you watch, if you want news listen to BBC radio or look for something online) they said that only about a third of them turned in their winning tickets, if that statistic holds true to all lotto tickets, think about how many people aren't getting millions of dollars, oh well, concentrating large amounts of money in small groups is one of the bigger problems in America (and most of the world). In all likelyness it's better that there are a few less millionaires.

12. d9_thc I didnt act sad or cry or anything, but yeah i couldnt help it but feel sympathy...when you look at those families and people who died and kids who were left as orphans, and pregnant moms who lost their husbands.....You cant help but feel a little sympathetic...I think your just trying to be a rebel??? :)