Nutrients, what should i get?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by chronicon, Jan 14, 2011.

1. Ok well im heading to the hydro store this weekend and I have been trying to figure out exactly what i should get. I have been searching around and it seems that people use a combination of diffrent things throughout their grow. But i have not been able to find a complete list of all the nutes. So my question to you all is what do you think i should get for my grow situation or what do you use?I am going to be growing in soil for the first run and I am planning on doing two dwc buckets afterwards so it would be nice to find some nuts that work for both hydro and soil. I am sorry if this has been asked before. Thanks

2. I would try fox farms liquid nutes. Grow big or big bloom. I started off in FFOF soil grow and wanted to try hydro hempy buckets. so i got grow big. you just dont wanna over do it. i would cut the recommended schedule in half.

if you wanna go cheaper. get Mexican and Peruvian bat guano but i never mixed it for a hydro grow. Grasshumper would be of more help here

3. You would use only one? What if I got all 3 would there be an increase in yeild? Potency?

4. Is this going to be your first grow?

Like previous person said, Fox Farms has great products.
    I also like Advanced Nutrients Bud candy, General Hydroponics
    Kool Bloom and even some unsulphred molasses.

5. #5 aj69420g, Jan 14, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2011
    Well Big Bloom is my choice, and I use about 1/2 the amount recommended on the same schedule. i Might have gotten it confused with Grow big, but I 'know' its the one with the 6-4-4 N-P-K levels.

EDIT : I would use only one. you dont wanna burn them with too many nutes. And the reason the 6-4-4 has worked well for me during flowering is. The fan leaves and plant go through less drastic stress when dispersing their nitrogen to the plant. Your plant wont take as much stress damage when flowering, because it has the nutrients needed readily available. Resulting in longer flowering stage, we all know what that means :p

but again when it comes to nutes vita420 and grasshumper are who i listen to due to previous experiences :p

6. got a few friends using roots organics...gonna try that out next...using FF rite now...

7. I'm on my first grow, so simplicity and ease of use were most important to me. I'm using GHE Bloom and GHE Micro in a 2:1 ratio like with the Lucas forumla (Not using the Grow part).

With the lucas formula you calculate how much of the two parts to add depending on how big your resevoir is.

For simplicity I just mix up a batch, then add it to the resevoir via a syringe until the EC reads what I want (which is 0.4 at the moment). I did a fair ammount of research and this seemed to be the best compromise between simplicity and results. Subsequent grows i'll start looking into additives and boosters.

Hope that helps (and I posted before you went shopping)
    Orient

8. Well I never ended up going to the hydro store this weekend :confused: So I guess im still up for some advice. This will be my first indoor grow by myself. I have helped people in the past just from what ive read with some ok results (they wernt willing to use the proper amounts of lights and so on...) I have been reading every thing I can around this fourm since before I joined. And I have started reading the book "Cultivating Cannabis In The 21st Century". Anayways I feel like I have enough knowlage to go for it. And I have some Blue himilayan diesel (reg) from short stuff seeds. There are only a few things that confuse me like nutrients but I think I understand it pretty well now.My grow space is

18'' deep
    52'' wide and
    95'' tall

I think I am going to get a 400 or a 250 watt hps grow light, do you guys see anything wrong with these?

Inside sun 400w 99$-
    Inside Sun

Inside sun 250w 130$- InsideSun 250w Metal Halide - Inside Sun

Floralux 150w 70$-
    HTG Supply - FLORALUX 150w HPS Mini Grow Light

Floralux 250w 199$-
    HTG Supply - FLORALUX 250 watt High Pressure Sodium Grow Light

Also is there anything wrong with ordering lights off the internet?
    Gotta go smoke some hash after that one :smoke:

Thanks for all the help.

9. #9 sensi13, Jan 16, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2011
    dchydro.com has a 400w digital ballast for $79 bucks with a 3yr warranty. I am using it and have no complaints. They also have a 400w lumatek for $129 if you want a bigger name & have more money. I would try to go with a digital ballast.

I use Lucas formula for nutes. It is easy and my ph stays nice and steady with RO water.

Here are a couple of links you may be interested in:

Grow with less than 250w?
    http://forum.grasscity.com/lighting/321592-thinking-about-using-150w-hps-dont-bother-heres-why.html

Digital vs eballast:
    http://forum.grasscity.com/absolute...ht-works-tackling-question-4.html#post7485229

10. Fox farms trio nutes also get superthrive, hygrozyme and calmag. I've done a whole lot of research and i plan on using this line-up.

11. If this is just your first time around, just keep it simple. All the fancy products are really for you only once you've really got your set up dialed in. They won't help much if you don't. Just get some basic line up, it will work fine.

I used FloraNova Grow, Bloom, Floralicious Plus and Kool Bloom liquid my first couple times out and had great results. I added some blackstrap molasses during flowering but that was it, just keep it simple.

Plus when you have fewer products it's easier to tell when something goes wrong. If you have 20 bottles of stuff it's harder to know where to start looking for the problem imo.

You don't have to go with GH as I did but I would just get your base nutrient. Grow and bloom of your choice( One part, a+ b or a 3 part) , a catalyst type nutrient(Floralicious Plus, Liquid Karma, Bio Gen Synergy, etc) and a bloom booster.

It's could be easiest to pick one nutrient company you seem top like and follow their recommendations for feeding on their websites.

Look around and see who's products you like then jump in. The simplicity of GH lineup won out for me but I encourage you to see what you like.

12. First grow, DWC????

I would suggest Dyna-Gro. 1 part, 100% complete and ~$20 will cover you for several grows, both veg AND bloom.

Dyna-Gro has been around for ~45 years+ and there is a reason you can get it in 55gal drums. Quite a few large commercial operations use it. The ones that don't listen to hype or look at fancy labels, just use what works.

Do your research before you spend all your $$$$$ on marketing hype.

But .... YMMV

Wet

13. Awsome information guys, thanks alot. So can anyone give me a link to the complete light I should get for my grow space?