Nutrients / Top-off / Flush

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by mad4reef, Dec 22, 2005.

1. I read this article on Overgrow.com...

http://www.overgrow.com/growfaq/314

It says...

Top off daily with *half strength nutrients, alternating days topping up with plain water. Change the entire reservoir with fresh solution every ten days to two weeks. (*half the strength of your current new reservior starting strength)

This sounds like a good way to add too many nutes to me and possibly damage/kill your plants. If I add 1.25 milliliters of each of my nute solutions everyday (half-strength, recommended is 2.5 of each), won't I eventually have way too many parts nutes to plain water? Even if I do flush every week to week-and-a-half, this sounds like way too much.

So, how often should I add nutes? Weekly? Daily? Every other day? And, when I add nutes, should I always drain out an equal amount of water from the system? (ie. one gallon out, one gallon fresh water + nutes in)

2. Yes sounds like a very good way to add too many nutes.

You should really have a EC/CF/PPM meter to accurately figure out what you need in the resouvour when refilling but it has been my rule of thumb that you simply top off with water alone and no more nutes.

The only time you put more nutes in is when your changing the entire solution with new solution.

If i were you i would not use that method, its not foolproof.... its always easier to have a low nute problem and fix it easily than have too much nutes and burn up your plant with hardly any time to spare.

3. That's what I figured. Thanks for the advice. I am going to use a weekly feeding schedule and only add nutes when I completely drain the system.

4. Good choice.

my main suggestion to you is to monitor you PH very carefully with hydroponics.

5. HIGH All, *tip toes in* looks both ways===safe.......hey mad4reef it's what I do Also...Always changed the nutes after a week wheather they needed it or not...and...I Always wash my Bucket out.