Nutrients for a SPROUT????

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by Steezin, Nov 24, 2009.

1. SO! VERY EXCITED! I HAVE MY FIRST SPROUT, from a seedling of course,

So I have a B.C. Grow starter kit that includes;

• B.C. Grow 500ml
    • B.C Boost 500ml
    • B.C Bloom 500ml
    • Thrive Alive B-1 Red 125ml
    • Thrive Alive B-1 Green 125ml
    • Rootech Cloning Gel 7g
    • Awesome Blossoms 125ml
    • MagiCal 125ml
    • ROOT 66 250ml
    • SugarDaddy 250ml

Now for a sprouting seed! I am putting it under the lights for 18 hrs a day, watering the plants 3 times a day for 30 mins on my drip system, What nutrients do you suggest!

So far I have just used half strength for the BC Grow and Boost in my reservoir! Are there any other's you suggest that I use?

Very excited, planning to put up pictures of da process soon~

2. i wouldnt be sticking anything in the water just yet. not till they are a week or two old. im sure theres peeps around here that do.... but its just too risky. ive burned up 2 week old seedlings with half str fert. they came back of course.... but its never good to start out in the wrong foot.

stay calm... let nature take its course b4 u start shocking them with too much fert.

gl on the grow.

3. I had one of my plants die suddenly from what appeared to be a pinched root in the basket after only a week and a half. So I had the opportunity to run an experiment and I put a sprouted seedling in rock wool, into the net basket, and into my system which had 2-two week old plants with a 3tsp/g mix of Fox Farm Grow Big Hydro.
    The seedling did great with just a little noticeable increase in growth rate. But I am only using bagseed, so it's impossible know for sure if the nutes caused that. But it didn't die.

4. Ususally I don't start nutes till about 1 week. I may change that now.

5. Yeah, I got the half strength nute's going, they seem to bee doing fine-

I have only put Sugar Daddy, BC Grow and Boost~ Seems to be going fine!

I'm kinda nervous though now with the storys you've shared~

I think I might keep on truckin an see what happens since they have survived the first day, since the verdict is kinda 50-50 between ya's~

I guess I'll keep you updated, I am hopin that more people will lend their experianece to my ear so I know if I should just replace the water with un-nuted water~

:bongin:

6. You shouldn't be putting any nutes on a sprout, you'll burn them.

7. Hmm. They sprouted on Monday and I just got back from Turkey Vacation for the past two days and they look fine!

But all this talk about burning out the plants makes me think I should just switch out to plain un-nuted water for the second week! Do you guys think it would be wise to do that?:smoke:

8. Rooster and others are correct. Since you got past this point without burning them, consider yourself lucky.

Seed soaks are a whole other issue that I don't see addressed very often - but they're used quite a bit in commercial agriculture. There are stearic acid, chitosan solutions that seeds are soaked in for up to 10 minutes before planting. It has been shown to increase germination rates and vigor.

Anyway, good luck and have a great grow.

9. Hey, Steezin! I wouldn't go back to un-nuted water, especially if they are doing fine. At this point I would just keep the concentration of nutes the same for the first 2 weeks before increasing.
    The one that I had from seedling in 3tsp/g FF Grow Big looks great at 2 weeks later. Huge stalk! Let it play out and see what happens!

10. I wouldn't use anything other than a small dose of the ThriveAlive/B1. Generally its ok to add nutes after the 4th or 5th set of leaves has developed. There is plenty of time for nutes once the plants get bigger.

11. I am thinking of putting pictures up~ But wondering if this place is safe enough to do so~

12. Also just a question! Do you think with a closet space of about 5x3ft wide and about 5 to 6 feet tall worth of growing space (before it hits the 400w HPS)

Do you think it would be more worth it to scrog the plants! I have a mother and clone room and the flower room? Would I yeild more out of 6 plants doing a scrog? Or do you think I would gain better/yield more bud if I let them grow up that big?

Still wondering if I should doc the grow, from what I see here on the GC forums, you people help alot with noobs like me? But I am still paranoid about "The Man" looking at this site and such! Thoughts?

13. alot of people use a lot of different nutes
    i been using botinicares pro gro and the sweet citrus supplument
    on three plants all in the same reservoir
    one about 3 weeks one aboutt 2 and a half
    and one is about a fuckin week old

all using the recommended directions on the bottle
    i have had no nute burn since i put them in the solution
    never had any fluctuations in ph (only now that plants are getting bigger the ph is slowly rising which is a sign of a eating, healthy plant ;))
    the plants seem to love it i mean they just keep getting more lime in color and growing very fast

im gonna use more botanicares products in the future i like how they are doing right now and from i read in a lot of forums,, a lot of problems wit other nutes so this seems to take a little of the hassle off my back in looking for which nutes i should go with

o the purenblend pro grow and sweet citrus contain all of the macro nutrients between the two i did a little research and observation on that one, o did i say they are natural and organic???:cool:

14. [quote name='Steezin']
    Do you think it would be more worth it to scrog the plants! I have a mother and clone room and the flower room? Would I yeild more out of 6 plants doing a scrog? Or do you think I would gain better/yield more bud if I let them grow up that big?

I would definitely scrog. I am doing my first and it is way better than anything I have tried before. So many more bud sites that flourish. There is a sticky on here about scrog, and it is packed full of great start-to-finish instructions! 6 plants would yield a ton scrogged! LOL!

15. See I knew there was a reason my PH rises, I have to check it daily! when I check it mid day before the second feeding cycle its like at 7.1 or some un godly rate!!! Now I know that its all good because it is a healty plant which is righteous! I knew i wasn't the only one nuting early! I think i will try an experiment in later grows~

I am still thinking of a scrog, or an LST, but still deciding! But I will keep you updated!

16. I'm gonna do both next grow. I really want to try the LST!

17. So here is a question for whomever! I was thinking, I have heard people talking about cheap C02 producers (candles, sugars&yeast) but I came to think, what about Incense? Has anyone tried this method? I was thinking a Candle couldn't produce too much C02 and is dangerous, yeast seems smelly! BUT INCENSE, creates smoke (C02) and smells great! Can I get any of your thoughts?

I think I will do it on my first grow, doesn't seem to hard, just manipulating plant growth! I feel there will be more bud sites!

18. Hey, how did that seedling that had nutes on it turn out? Is she doing fine?

19. Thanks for the concern mang!

:DOh ya:D! Very fine! Its drooping a bit! You can see pic's in my grow journal; http://forum.grasscity.com/advanced...rst-grow-dripp-set-up-bubbleponic-system.html

All of them seem healthy as can be, it just seems like the waiting game is on now! Making sure I help them to survive! the second and third set of leaf's are coming in and itll be 3 weeks this friday, so they do seem a little smaller than I thought (growth rate wise)

I did change to Nute Strength to full strength :eek:(for 5 plants it was 1 week and 4 days and The one late sprouter was 1 week old) and it seems like all the plants accepted the change except for the one old weeker! So I changed the Nute strength to 3/4 strength and everything seems GREAT! I was gone from Saturday morning to Monday morning! They made it two days without my help at all!

Ph is 5.5 (lower than I want just because it does shoot up PH wise it seems by 1.0 every other day or so) but that is probably cause the plants are eating up those nutes! Gotta keepem nice and FAT!:D

Avg Temp, 70-75

I have 4 cfl's running, I think I might add a 5th!

Still feeding three times a day!

I think that after the seeds sprouted putting them under the 1/2 strength was good! I keep hearing less is more! So I might (as an experiment next time to have them under the 1/4 strength{althought I saw nothing bad come out of 1/2 strength)

I hope you enjoy and watch as the grow develops! I will be updating the journal tonight!