Nutrient Solution

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by Ponsrow, Aug 31, 2010.

1. I've read a nutrient solution composition chart in the Marijuana Horticulture Medical Bible showing average ppm measurements in each element (calcium, Nitrogen, Phosphorus, ect). Is there any way to actually read each individual element when taking EC, PPM, or other readings? Or are the readings you get just a generalization as to the complete solution you've added?

Also, are there any organic nutrient solutions that can be used with a DWC system? If so please state them and rate them.

2. Typically, a TDS or EC reading will only show the total amount of nutrient in the solution. You could have it tested at a pool shop or somewhere else that does that to obtain more accurate readings of different minerals in the solution but that would have to be done constantly to keep up with changes in the solution.

There are plenty of organic nutrients that will work in a DWC system but in my experience with them, they run very thick and dirty and require tons of maintenance to keep the system clean. I have had best results with House & Garden's Aqua Flakes line (not organic) and it runs super duper clean and rarely needs any maintenance. I have a poll going to choose the nutrients for my next rDWC grow. Stop bye and vote if you can. Peace

3. Yes, its a reading that defines ppm in total not in specific composition, to measure amounts of specific elements you would need some EXPENSIVE lab equipment. As for the 2nd question, I dont know,lol sorry.

4. DrTrichomes, I'm glad to hear that you've used the House and Garden line of fertilizers. I was actually told to use this exact line when i last went to a near by hydro shop. He said it was by far the best product on their shelves.
    So which of their line do you use? Obviously the A&B formula for vegging and flowering but have you tried the Root excelurator, Multi Zyme, Shooting powder etc?
    I'd love to start using this product from all the good things I've heard, but have no idea where to start with their stuff. Their line is just too big.
    Recommendations?

5. I use the Aqua Flakes A&B, Multi-Zen, Drip Clean, BudXL, Top Booster and Shooting Powder. I have used the roots excel. but it does not work very effectively in DWC, even according to their staff. The roots excel. is best when used in less oxygen-rich environments such as soil or rockwool and it shows. For those mediums, I would strongly suggest it but not so much for DWC, especially with that heavy price tag!

6. #6 Ponsrow, Aug 31, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 31, 2010
    You said it! Man i just finished checking out a couple of your previous grows and HOT DAMN! You've got some serious skills.

So if i stuck with the home and garden ferts solely I could achieve some pretty decent results? Or would you recommend mixing it up a bit?

7. Those ones I listed are definitely all you will need. I would use them on my next cycle but I wanted to try out a new line I was recently asked to test. Just for fun. Peace