Nutrient Profiles

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by Chemical Stoner, Jun 30, 2010.

1. I'm working on starting up my first grow and have been reading everything on the subject I can find. I stumbled across this article today : CannaStats - Nutrient Profiles for Cannabis

While it is a bit old (no updated date but the last copyright is from 2004) the information seems valid and the calculator is very handy. However, I have two questions about what I read there.

1) Is it accurate? It seems to be solidly research and explained but you can't believe everything you read. I've read a lot about the different NPK concentrations growers use, which is what this article centers around, but it seems like it could be far fetched to simply break all nutrients down to chemical composition and use only that.

2) If this information is accurate, what does that mean in terms of the more expensive nutrient options? If I can achieve the same chemical make-up by buying a bottle of Cheap A for $10 and Cheap B for $10 as I can buying a bottle of Expensive C for $40, why would I want to go the extra distance? My main thought is towards "premium" nutrients such as the Advanced Nutrients Connoisseur line; if I can achieve the same chemical make-up from mixing cheaper products, why would I choose a premium brand?

2. Nutrients are all basically the same...(N)itrogen, (P)hosphorus, (K)Potassium. These are the macro nutrients...the big, important ones.

Where nutrient lines often differ is the micro nutrients, those nutrients that are necessary but aren't needed as much as the macros. It's the same situation with us humans. We need macro nutrients...carbohydrates, proteins, and fats. But, we also need micro nutrients...vitamins, minerals, etc.

Another difference is chemical vs organic nutes. Chemical nutes can be mixed up in a lab, where the organic nutes are cultivated...bonemeal, bloodmeal, guano, etc.

As you are a first time grower I would suggest using the Lucas Formula. It utilizes just 2 nutrient components (Micro and Boost from General Hydroponics) that add up to 5-5-5. It's really easy to use and damn near fool proof.

I find that the real trick to growing nice buds is to start off low on the nutrients and slowly ramp it up. Marijuana responds much more favorably to underfeeding than to overfeeding. If you look at a lot of amateur grows you'll see obvious signs of over feeding on most of them.

3. Thanks for the advice, I plan on starting simple, either with the Lucas formula that you recommended or a simple FloraNova Grow then Bloom setup.

I understand the concept of macro nutrients and micro nutrients, but I guess I'm missing where they come in to play. For example, the AN website featuring Connoisseur has the labels shown. Part A contains N in 2 forms, Ca, and Mg, while part B contains N, P2O5, K2O, and S. Are there other nutrients that are typically not listed on the label? That would explain the discrepancy in price between the Connoisseur line and other similar lines. But judging by the label, it would appear the same chemical make-up could be easily and simply derived from other nutrient products.

4. I think you're reading way too much into the nutrients.

There are much more important factors to growing good pot, namely lighting and climate (temperature, humidity, and wind/ventilation).

If you can give your plants lots of light, moderate temps (65-85F), and correct humidity (highish in veg, lowish in flower) then the nutes you use are almost irelevant.

5. You're probably right, I tend to have an over-active brain :p. It's just been interesting reading up on all the nutrients and the possibility that a cocktail of cheap nutrients could yield the same chemical make-up and thus same results as a premium line.